Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning Owners Club - Page 87

post #861 of 1097
Do I need an anti-corrosive if my radiator is copper, and the waterblock is copper?
I think the waterblock is copper. This is what I am planning to buy once available:
http://www.bitspower.com.tw/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=173_268_270_277&products_id=4037
Edited by Sphere07 - 2/15/16 at 10:03am
post #862 of 1097
Green team can use some help from you guy's. thumb.gif
http://www.overclock.net/t/1586140/3d-fanboy-competition-2016-nvidia-vs-amd/0_50
Daily Rig
(21 items)
 
Bench Setup
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k 4.7Ghz @ 1.28vcore / 1.88vccin Gigabyte x99 SOC Champion EVGA GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x Intel 520 120Gb SSD in RAID 0  Intel 180Gb 530 SSD OS Drive 2Tb WD HDD  2x Intel 730 SSD 480GB in RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x HWLabs GTX360 Black Ice in Push Pull EK blocks for CPU / GPU's 6x corsair sp120 2350RPM 6x Ek Vardar 120 F4's 2200rpm  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 XB270HU 2560x1440 - 144Hz - G-sync Razor blackwidow cooler master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 780T EVGA TORQ x10 evga mouse pad 2.1 audio / Hyper X cloud II / Sennheiser Gam... 
Other
EK pump / res 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6600k Z170M OC Formula GTX780Ti AMD HD6450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Trident Z 3600Mhz cl16 2x8GB 120Gb intel 520 120Gb intel 520 64Gb adata ssd  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
750Gb WD Black Sony  F1 Gemini CPU Pot Tek - 9 Fat 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
custom loop two 240rad's xp,W7,W8,W10 x-star 2560x1440  Rosewill Quark-650 Platinum / Antec HCP-850 Pla... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dimastech Mini V1.0 black razor abyssus Razor 
  hide details  
Reply
Daily Rig
(21 items)
 
Bench Setup
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k 4.7Ghz @ 1.28vcore / 1.88vccin Gigabyte x99 SOC Champion EVGA GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x Intel 520 120Gb SSD in RAID 0  Intel 180Gb 530 SSD OS Drive 2Tb WD HDD  2x Intel 730 SSD 480GB in RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x HWLabs GTX360 Black Ice in Push Pull EK blocks for CPU / GPU's 6x corsair sp120 2350RPM 6x Ek Vardar 120 F4's 2200rpm  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 XB270HU 2560x1440 - 144Hz - G-sync Razor blackwidow cooler master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 780T EVGA TORQ x10 evga mouse pad 2.1 audio / Hyper X cloud II / Sennheiser Gam... 
Other
EK pump / res 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6600k Z170M OC Formula GTX780Ti AMD HD6450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Trident Z 3600Mhz cl16 2x8GB 120Gb intel 520 120Gb intel 520 64Gb adata ssd  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
750Gb WD Black Sony  F1 Gemini CPU Pot Tek - 9 Fat 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
custom loop two 240rad's xp,W7,W8,W10 x-star 2560x1440  Rosewill Quark-650 Platinum / Antec HCP-850 Pla... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dimastech Mini V1.0 black razor abyssus Razor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #863 of 1097
Tried to ovrerclock my new ligjtning but volt does not go higher than 1.2 even if set at +50 mv. Should it not go to 1.24?
post #864 of 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario View Post

Tried to ovrerclock my new ligjtning but volt does not go higher than 1.2 even if set at +50 mv. Should it not go to 1.24?
Put it in extended MSI mode. You do this in MSI Afterburner's settings. Click on the gear icon, and under general tab, you can find the option there. Also to reach 1.3 volts, you will have to flick the switch on the PCB. You flick the switch when the video drivers are disabled in device manager. The switch is located next to the SLI ports on the right. It is on the PCB that is facing downwards when the card is in your machine. After you flick the switch, then enable the drivers in device manager, and now you are using an unlocked Lightning.

Word of caution, please take the voltages up slowly, see what your card does when under load. Some people's cards do better with less voltage, like mine, and other people's cards do better with more voltage. No card is the same.

GPU-Z does not report the correct values for voltage with this card, as the program is not designed for Lightning users. Use the voltages shown in MSI Afterburner. Although they won't be accurate. If you want accurate voltages, you will need a Multimeter to connect to the ports on the card that are provided by MSI.

Voltage of the core is not the only thing you will want to consider, you will also want to look at memory voltage and also auxiliary voltage. This will be different for everybody. Mine requires more auxiliary, and more memory, but less core. Other people require less auxiliary and more core. You will spend hours and hours working out what is the top score of your card.

MSI Afterburner has a feature that lets you create a fan curve. I suggest activating it and making one. You will know if it is enabled, because on the main screen of MSI Afterburner, the part that has to do with fans, will have a big highlighted rectangle around the whole thing.

When overclocking, please take into consideration the environment that you are working in. Summer time temperatures will be different to winter time temperatures. What your max overclock will be will not always be relevant. I actually suggest you have a daily clock rate that you use with confidence, and then a secondary overclock that you wanna go crazy with. smile.gif
Edited by Sphere07 - 2/16/16 at 12:37am
post #865 of 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere07 View Post

Put it in extended MSI mode. You do this in MSI Afterburner's settings. Click on the gear icon, and under general tab, you can find the option there. Also to reach 1.3 volts, you will have to flick the switch on the PCB. You flick the switch when the video drivers are disabled in device manager. The switch is located next to the SLI ports on the right. It is on the PCB that is facing downwards when the card is in your machine. After you flick the switch, then enable the drivers in device manager, and now you are using an unlocked Lightning.

Word of caution, please take the voltages up slowly, see what your card does when under load. Some people's cards do better with less voltage, like mine, and other people's cards do better with more voltage. No card is the same.

GPU-Z does not report the correct values for voltage with this card, as the program is not designed for Lightning users. Use the voltages shown in MSI Afterburner. Although they won't be accurate. If you want accurate voltages, you will need a Multimeter to connect to the ports on the card that are provided by MSI.

Voltage of the core is not the only thing you will want to consider, you will also want to look at memory voltage and also auxiliary voltage. This will be different for everybody. Mine requires more auxiliary, and more memory, but less core. Other people require less auxiliary and more core. You will spend hours and hours working out what is the top score of your card.

MSI Afterburner has a feature that lets you create a fan curve. I suggest activating it and making one. You will know if it is enabled, because on the main screen of MSI Afterburner, the part that has to do with fans, will have a big highlighted rectangle around the whole thing.

When overclocking, please take into consideration the environment that you are working in. Summer time temperatures will be different to winter time temperatures. What your max overclock will be will not always be relevant. I actually suggest you have a daily clock rate that you use with confidence, and then a secondary overclock that you wanna go crazy with. smile.gif

Thank for a great reply. By the way, is this info you provided not in the manual from MSI?
post #866 of 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario View Post

Thank for a great reply. By the way, is this info you provided not in the manual from MSI?
It mentions certain things, but I found in my experience, not well documented. I had to actually go out of my way and dig on the Internet for what I needed to know. Feel free to rep me, but others helped me in the past, so it's everybody who gets the rep imo.
post #867 of 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere07 View Post

It mentions certain things, but I found in my experience, not well documented. I had to actually go out of my way and dig on the Internet for what I needed to know. Feel free to rep me, but others helped me in the past, so it's everybody who gets the rep imo.

You did a very good job summing it up. I had an admin message me and tell me to not ask for rep.. Because you know, everyone pays attention to the rep button obviously right? Any way,very well put.

I personally think that someone should post this information on the front page as a how to if you will for people who are given no information by MSI on these things anywhere in their manual or on the internet etc...


YOU want to steal EVGa's thunder MSI, PAY ATTENTION and start telling people stuff like this! This is what people want, information.
Edited by truehighroller1 - 2/16/16 at 6:38am
post #868 of 1097
Thread Starter 
Added the extended settings information to the OP. thumb.gif
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5960X Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 980 Ti Matrix Asus GTX 980 Ti Matrix 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston HyperX HX430C15PBK4/32  Samsung 840 EVO  WDC 1000DHTZ 7 64B 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus ROG PG278Q  Asus ROG PG278Q Asus ROG PG278Q Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1500i Thermaltake Core X9 Corsair M65 Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5960X Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 980 Ti Matrix Asus GTX 980 Ti Matrix 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
Kingston HyperX HX430C15PBK4/32  Samsung 840 EVO  WDC 1000DHTZ 7 64B 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus ROG PG278Q  Asus ROG PG278Q Asus ROG PG278Q Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1500i Thermaltake Core X9 Corsair M65 Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #869 of 1097
Huh, Ok. The hatred continues I guess. How you can make people angry by being right is well beyond my scope of comprehenntion. Good job none the less summing up everything that I've been saying since I purchased this card and started helping people on here by giving them the information as I figured it out on my own Sphere.
post #870 of 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehighroller1 View Post

You did a very good job summing it up. I had an admin message me and tell me to not ask for rep.. Because you know, everyone pays attention to the rep button obviously right? Any way,very well put.
I did not ask for rep. I said feel free. Or do you mean mentioning it at all is wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by truehighroller1 View Post

Huh, Ok. The hatred continues I guess. How you can make people angry by being right is well beyond my scope of comprehenntion. Good job none the less summing up everything that I've been saying since I purchased this card and started helping people on here by giving them the information as I figured it out on my own Sphere.
Who's hatred? Gunslinger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger. View Post

Added the extended settings information to the OP. thumb.gif
I forgot to mention that the memory and auxiliary voltages can be reached by clicking on the arrow next to core voltage. But you can always edit that in right? o3o
Edited by Sphere07 - 2/16/16 at 7:40am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning Owners Club