Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › ACER Predator X34 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ACER Predator X34 Owners Club - Page 36

post #351 of 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey- View Post

So, to ask the question again: how do I get to 75Hz on my own without using the built in Acer over-clock?

You go into the driver software (Nvidia control panel?) and create a custom resolution.

If you're using AMD software, its a bit different.. you have to do it through the HDTV section, if I remember correctly.
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
post #352 of 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydooby11 View Post

You go into the driver software (Nvidia control panel?) and create a custom resolution.

If you're using AMD software, its a bit different.. you have to do it through the HDTV section, if I remember correctly.

Scooby, could you try to overclock to 75Hz for me when you get some free time - because I can't figure it out?

I'm kind of excited about this, because undoing the overclock has removed the scanlines in the actual games I'm playing. In the pendulum demo, no. But in the actual games, yes. I have no idea why that would be the case, but it is.

If I can overclock to 75Hz, on my own, and use G-sync with no scanlines, then I'll have the best of both worlds. A monitor that will refresh at 100hz for my non-demanding games. And a monitor that will refresh up to 75Hz for my demanding games. Both would be Gsync enabled. And both would be free of scanlines.

Thanks, Scooby.
post #353 of 3056
Sure, i'll give it a try for you tonight.I'm interested to see how this would work as well.. Its how I OCed my previous Qnix monitor.. just created 100HZ profile in Control Panel and boom.. oced.
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
post #354 of 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydooby11 View Post

Sure, i'll give it a try for you tonight.I'm interested to see how this would work as well.. Its how I OCed my previous Qnix monitor.. just created 100HZ profile in Control Panel and boom.. oced.

Thanks!

Guys, I hate to harp on this, but I think it might be important.

Right now, I'm in Fallout 4. If I max this game out - including shadows and God rays - then in big cities my frames are dropping below 40. With Gsync enabled, this is where the scan lines will typically appear - under 40 FPS. My X34, right now, is overclocked to 100Hz.

Regarding the scan lines - I know exactly what to look for. I'm looking at Fallout 4 right now, and I can make out the lines. There's no question about it. If I look for them I can see them. This only happens if I find a spot where my frame rate is super low. I'm going to save my game right here.

Okay, I'm now going to exit from this game and disable the overclock on my monitor.

There. Done.

I'm now back in Fallout 4, and I've loaded my game to where I was before. With the overclock off, at 60Hz and Gsync on, the scan lines are gone. No question about it. They're gone. I'm in the exact same place, and my frames are the same as they were before - hovering around 40.

The exact same thing happens with Watch Dogs. Low frames + Gsync + Overclock = Scan lines. Low frames + Gsync + Disabled overclock = no scan lines.

Here's where it gets weird. The Pendulum demo + Gsync + Low frames + Disabled overclock, still equals scan lines. In other words, the pendulum demo itself seems to be borked somehow?

I kid you not, if I disable my overlock, then in all my games (except for the pendulum demo) my scan lines go away. This is the reason I'm now trying to overclock the monitor to 75Hz on my own. If I can get there, then it's basically problem solved.

Yes, it would be slightly inconvenient having to switch between a 100Hz Acer overclock, and a 75Hz of my own - depending on the game. But at least it would be a solution.

Please, somebody, actually try this out for me. Don't rely on that pendulum demo. We need some data here.

It's incredible that the Acer overclock is exhibiting problems when the frames are low. I would've thought it would be the other way around. But that works to our advantage - especially if we can overclock this monitor to 75Hz on our own, and use Gsync without scan lines appearing.

Mod edit: Please edit posts (the pencil button) instead of triple posting.
post #355 of 3056
Is it possible to overclock to 100hz without using the Acer built in overclocking? Maybe whatever voltages or timings they alter are effecting things... Just a guess, but I'm curious if 100hz manually is possible and if it solves anything.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k ASUS Maximus Formula VII EVGA 980 ti SLI G.skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz CAS 9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EK Supremacy EVO + Nemesis 280  EK FC-Titan X + RX360 D5 Vario + Bitspower Multi-Z 200 V2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64bit Predator x34 Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX Brown w/ Red LED EVGA 1000 P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 760T Mionix Naos 7000 Corsair MM200 Soundblaster ZXR 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k ASUS Maximus Formula VII EVGA 980 ti SLI G.skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz CAS 9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EK Supremacy EVO + Nemesis 280  EK FC-Titan X + RX360 D5 Vario + Bitspower Multi-Z 200 V2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64bit Predator x34 Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX Brown w/ Red LED EVGA 1000 P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 760T Mionix Naos 7000 Corsair MM200 Soundblaster ZXR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #356 of 3056
With no overclock I can still see can lines with Gsync as can others, so I'm not sure it's fixed.
post #357 of 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey the Bear View Post

Is it possible to overclock to 100hz without using the Acer built in overclocking? Maybe whatever voltages or timings they alter are effecting things... Just a guess, but I'm curious if 100hz manually is possible and if it solves anything.

We need to ask questions like this, and we need to start experimenting. Which is why it would be cool if people would try doing what I explained above.

Specifically, I want to know why disabling the Acer overclock solves my in-game Gsync related scan line issue, but doing so does NOT solve the same issue in the pendulum demo.

That is a complete mystery to me. It makes no sense whatsoever.


I think that our first step here really should be to see if we can overclock the monitor on our own.

Let's first try for 75Hz.

Anybody? I have no idea how to do this. It doesn't work by setting a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel - at least I couldn't get it to work.
Edited by Mikey- - 11/13/15 at 4:49pm
post #358 of 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey the Bear View Post

Is it possible to overclock to 100hz without using the Acer built in overclocking? Maybe whatever voltages or timings they alter are effecting things... Just a guess, but I'm curious if 100hz manually is possible and if it solves anything.

That's what Mikey asked me to test which I will later. I feel like I'm one of the few who hasn't witness scanlines at all.. I've tested in numerous games, benchmarks and pendulum
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
post #359 of 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydooby11 View Post

That's what Mikey asked me to test which I will later. I feel like I'm one of the few who hasn't witness scanlines at all.. I've tested in numerous games, benchmarks and pendulum

It's hard to tell how many people have the scanlines. How many people have we actually heard from? How many monitors were sold? We don't have this data - only Acer does.

So far, the scanline issue has not even been acknowledged by Acer. I wonder if it ever will be?

I have a 30 day return policy with NCIX, but I just can't return this monitor. My scanline issue is so minor, I'd feel like an idiot.

Honestly, in-game I'm having a hard time even seeing the lines. Sometimes I think I see them, but really it's a deliberate in-game effect, such as siding on the wall of a building or something.

Also, Scooby, I saw your photos. That's a nice little man-den you've got there. A nice place to escape the world.
Edited by Mikey- - 11/13/15 at 6:38pm
post #360 of 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey- View Post

It's hard to tell how many people have the scanlines. How many people have we actually heard from? How many monitors were sold? We don't have this data - only Acer does.

So far, the scanline issue has not even been acknowledged by Acer. I wonder if it ever will be?

I have a 30 day return policy with NCIX, but I just can't return this monitor. My scanline issue is so minor, I'd feel like an idiot.

Honestly, in-game I'm having a hard time even seeing the lines. Sometimes I think I see them, but really it's a deliberate in-game effect, such as siding on the wall of a building or something.

Also, Scooby, I saw your photos. That's a nice little man-den you've got there. A nice place to escape the world.

Cheers bud, I'm pretty happy with it these days smile.gif
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
Predator x34
(8 photos)
 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › ACER Predator X34 Owners Club