Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › ACER Predator X34 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ACER Predator X34 Owners Club - Page 39

post #381 of 3066
I have an Idea. Plz post what date of manufacture ur monitor is (there is a sticker on the carton) and if u have problems with scanlines oder not.
post #382 of 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarusflug View Post

I have an Idea. Plz post what date of manufacture ur monitor is (there is a sticker on the carton) and if u have problems with scanlines oder not.

That has been done, it effects models from different dates, so that is not the problem.
post #383 of 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metros View Post

That has been done, it effects models from different dates, so that is not the problem.

ok, thats sad. But i really would like to know how many % of the monitors are effected. Had two with scanlines till now, asking myself if i give it a third chance.
post #384 of 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainlifter View Post

Dear all with scanlines (part 2),

Instead of supplying another wall of text, I decided to spend some time making a table with experimental results that describe the intensity of the scanline artifacts at various Refresh Rates (set in OSD + NVCP) in correlation to Gsync Fps+Hz.


direct link: http://i.imgur.com/a1qeTBm.png

.

These numbers are excellent.

X34 owners simply need to understand that they have to adjust their overclock to match the average frame rate of whatever game they're playing.

If you're averaging 80 frames per second in a game, then for that game you need to overclock to 80Hz (not just leave your overclock at 100Hz). If you're only averaging 60 frames in a game, then disable the overclock entirely (hugely important). If you have a game in which you can run easily at 100 frames, then just max out the overclock.

In fact, the one thing that you really do want to take away from this chart is that with an overclock of 100Hz, you're going to encounter scanlines almost immediately if your frames begin dipping. So NEVER fully overclock this monitor unless you're dead certain you can maintain 100 FPS in a game.

I was playing The Witcher 3 tonight, when I noticed the scan lines (I can see them now, because I know what to look for). My frame rate was about 60, because I'd completely maxed out the game (which looks stunning on this monitor, by the way). I then quickly exited the game and disabled the overclock and went back into the game - scanlines gone.

So what we have here is an exceptional monitor with an aggressive overclock that needs some managing in order to avoid a minor scanline issue. My only concern would be that the scanlines grow increasingly prominent with time. But cross bridges when you come to them, I always say.

I'd like to thank Mountainlifter for having taken the time to post this chart. Very reassuring.
Edited by Mikey- - 11/15/15 at 10:48pm
post #385 of 3066
I disagree. The issue must be acknowledged and a solution must be found (Preferably soon by Acer or Nvidia). The results of this issue are similar to the inversion issues that plagued the pg278q and stopped it from being the truly perfect TN, as much as a TN can be. It was a disappointing issue, much like this now. 34" curved 60 hz monitors are available for $700 less; I don't consider the OC a bonus.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k ASUS Maximus Formula VII EVGA 980 ti SLI G.skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz CAS 9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EK Supremacy EVO + Nemesis 280  EK FC-Titan X + RX360 D5 Vario + Bitspower Multi-Z 200 V2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64bit Predator x34 Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX Brown w/ Red LED EVGA 1000 P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 760T Mionix Naos 7000 Corsair MM200 Soundblaster ZXR 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k ASUS Maximus Formula VII EVGA 980 ti SLI G.skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz CAS 9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EK Supremacy EVO + Nemesis 280  EK FC-Titan X + RX360 D5 Vario + Bitspower Multi-Z 200 V2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64bit Predator x34 Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX Brown w/ Red LED EVGA 1000 P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 760T Mionix Naos 7000 Corsair MM200 Soundblaster ZXR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #386 of 3066
Personally, my intention with documenting the behaviour of this monitor was to find a solution eventually. I believe the pathway is generally Behaviour (symptoms) --> Cause -->Cure/Solution.

As end users, we have to be clear in describing the symptoms/behaviour to ACER which in the case of the scanlines has been extremely tough so far.
The cause in some cases can be nailed down by us.
But only when the symptoms and cause are known can ACER find a cure (be that an easy or protracted solution).

When there are folks with perfect monitors, it clearly implies that we should try to get one too.

I will paste my documentation in the ACER thread now that some folks here have seen it.

I am also studying the power supply of the ACER X34 (using laboratory grade equipment at my workplace) and I have some interesting results to share. Stay tuned.
post #387 of 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey- View Post

These numbers are excellent.

X34 owners simply need to understand that they have to adjust their overclock to match the average frame rate of whatever game they're playing.

If you're averaging 80 frames per second in a game, then for that game you need to overclock to 80Hz (not just leave your overclock at 100Hz). If you're only averaging 60 frames in a game, then disable the overclock entirely (hugely important). If you have a game in which you can run easily at 100 frames, then just max out the overclock.

In fact, the one thing that you really do want to take away from this chart is that with an overclock of 100Hz, you're going to encounter scanlines almost immediately if your frames begin dipping. So NEVER fully overclock this monitor unless you're dead certain you can maintain 100 FPS in a game.

I was playing The Witcher 3 tonight, when I noticed the scan lines (I can see them now, because I know what to look for). My frame rate was about 60, because I'd completely maxed out the game (which looks stunning on this monitor, by the way). I then quickly exited the game and disabled the overclock and went back into the game - scanlines gone.

So what we have here is an exceptional monitor with an aggressive overclock that needs some managing in order to avoid a minor scanline issue. My only concern would be that the scanlines grow increasingly prominent with time. But cross bridges when you come to them, I always say.

I'd like to thank Mountainlifter for having taken the time to post this chart. Very reassuring.

uhm....no.

We are talking about a 1300 Euro Display...Even for a 200 Euro display this would be unaccepteble.
post #388 of 3066
Dont think that works, right?

from the acer forums:

"RESET YOUR MONITOR!!!



If you are having issues such as scanlines, loud buzzing noises and even trouble overclocking...reset the monitor.... go to the OSD and select "RESET". Allow it to cycle and then try your settings. This has resolved a great deal of issues. I had an issue with the loud high pitched noise and reset the monitor and it is gone. My monitor still has the wake from sleep issue. I've also confirmed this with a YouTuber who reviewed this monitor. He did the same and does not have the scanlines anymore and he is able to get the full 100hz overclock (he could only get to 90). My guess is these ship with a pre-installed profile and needs to be reset before any caliberation takes place. I hope this works for the rest of you!!!!"
post #389 of 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarusflug View Post

Dont think that works, right?

from the acer forums:

"RESET YOUR MONITOR!!!



If you are having issues such as scanlines, loud buzzing noises and even trouble overclocking...reset the monitor.... go to the OSD and select "RESET". Allow it to cycle and then try your settings. This has resolved a great deal of issues. I had an issue with the loud high pitched noise and reset the monitor and it is gone. My monitor still has the wake from sleep issue. I've also confirmed this with a YouTuber who reviewed this monitor. He did the same and does not have the scanlines anymore and he is able to get the full 100hz overclock (he could only get to 90). My guess is these ship with a pre-installed profile and needs to be reset before any caliberation takes place. I hope this works for the rest of you!!!!"

I accidentally did reset many times now because of the unwieldy implementation of the OSD controls. This "solution" is just an impulse reaction. I bet the guy who reset it will soon see scanlines again. Probably the reset set the monitor to the parameters of the green boxes in the table I posted and the user declared that they are gone. IF it was that easy, it would have been found out by now. Might have worked for the high pitched sound and other things, not for scanlines. Atleast not for me.

SIDE NOTE: I starting noticing the scanlines in games. Yesterday in BF4, I was suddenly distracted by prominent orange scanlines in the middle of my Kobra reticle as grenade spams dropped my fps to 60 from 85. This was the same reason I gave up on the swift last year and sold it to someone who didn't mind. My X34 has scanlines all the way across the monitor (maybe a little less visible on the extreme right).

SIDE NOTE 2: I also notice scanlines on the desktop if I use OSD OC 100Hz and NVCP refresh 50Hz. Makes sense based on my table.
Edited by Mountainlifter - 11/16/15 at 6:17am
post #390 of 3066
Tried it too. Doesnt work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › ACER Predator X34 Owners Club