Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › ACER Predator X34 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ACER Predator X34 Owners Club - Page 64

post #631 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

The shorter length may make a difference. Like 4K@60, 100Hz at this res is close to making out DP 1.2. I've heard of people experiencing flickering on some 4K panels with longer cables, so it's worth seeing if that fixes it.

Hooked up the shorter displayport cable that came with the x34. Same flickering, I feel like it's either the g-sync module warming up or the monitor itself warming up. After being on for about a minute, it stops. If this is as bad as it gets, I can live with it.
post #632 of 3061
Hey guys , I know most of you in here are all talking about the Gsync version , and even though I own the FreeSync version of this monitor I wanted to ask something anyways.

Is the FreeSync chip and the Gsync chip the only difference in these monitors? ( I mean build wise.) I was one of the very first on here to own the FreeSync version since I really wanted to run AMD this time around. Either there isn't a lot of FreeSync users out there for this monitor with problems , or I got super lucky...I don't know which.

When I picked this thing up at the beginning of October , I also matched it with a new Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X card.....and to this day I still haven't had one issue , with anything ( Knock on wood! ) No dead pixels , very , very little back bleeding after I used it a couple hours.

I'm wondering if these monitors go through a different assembly line. If I would of gone the Nvidia route , I for sure would of picked up the Gysnc version instead , but damn , that Gsync XR34CK was damn near $500.00 more than my FreeSync version. I got mine for like $890.00 + shipping. The money I saved from going with the FreeSync version damn near paid for my R9 Fury......and in the sim racing world I play in.....my god , playing with this monitor and that video card has been a dream come true. Freakin' amazing!

Why are the Gsync versions having a bunch of issues? The Nvidia cards kickass for sure , but what the hell is going on with the Gsync model of this monitor?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600K Asus Sabertooth Z77 Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X  16GB Corsair Vegenance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
2 X 1TB Cav black  1 X samsung 830 120GB Win 7 X64 pro Acer XR34CK FreeSync version 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logiteck wireless K800 Seasonic Platium 1000W PSU CM Storm Trooper Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600K Asus Sabertooth Z77 Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X  16GB Corsair Vegenance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
2 X 1TB Cav black  1 X samsung 830 120GB Win 7 X64 pro Acer XR34CK FreeSync version 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logiteck wireless K800 Seasonic Platium 1000W PSU CM Storm Trooper Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #633 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubber_lang View Post

Hey guys , I know most of you in here are all talking about the Gsync version , and even though I own the FreeSync version of this monitor I wanted to ask something anyways.

Is the FreeSync chip and the Gsync chip the only difference in these monitors? ( I mean build wise.) I was one of the very first on here to own the FreeSync version since I really wanted to run AMD this time around. Either there isn't a lot of FreeSync users out there for this monitor with problems , or I got super lucky...I don't know which.

When I picked this thing up at the beginning of October , I also matched it with a new Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X card.....and to this day I still haven't had one issue , with anything ( Knock on wood! ) No dead pixels , very , very little back bleeding after I used it a couple hours.

I'm wondering if these monitors go through a different assembly line. If I would of gone the Nvidia route , I for sure would of picked up the Gysnc version instead , but damn , that Gsync XR34CK was damn near $500.00 more than my FreeSync version. I got mine for like $890.00 + shipping. The money I saved from going with the FreeSync version damn near paid for my R9 Fury......and in the sim racing world I play in.....my god , playing with this monitor and that video card has been a dream come true. Freakin' amazing!

Why are the Gsync versions having a bunch of issues? The Nvidia cards kickass for sure , but what the hell is going on with the Gsync model of this monitor?

For the most part, yes. Same panel in both. Only real differentiating factor is Gsync and 100 Hz.

In regards to seeing more complaints on the X34, you have to take in consideration there's a bigger sample size. Just on Newegg alone there's almost 3 times as many reviews for the X34 than there is the XR34. It makes sense considering Nvidia have around 80% of the graphics card market.

I've seen issues being reported for the XR34 on Acer's forums as well, so if yours is problem free consider yourself lucky smile.gif

I haven't had any issues with my X34 for the record, and I don't see the scanlines some people reported at all - I've tried looking for them at low FPS with my eyes almost pressed to the screen, nada. Not saying they don't exist but I just don't see them, and I consider myself pretty picky, just recently returned a PG279Q due to uniformity issues. Quality wise this panel is as good as the LG UM95 it replaced, just with Gsync and 100 Hz on top of the ultrawide goodness. I'm really satisfied.
post #634 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

For the most part, yes. Same panel in both. Only real differentiating factor is Gsync and 100 Hz.

In regards to seeing more complaints on the X34, you have to take in consideration there's a bigger sample size. Just on Newegg alone there's almost 3 times as many reviews for the X34 than there is the XR34. It makes sense considering Nvidia have around 80% of the graphics card market.

I've seen issues being reported for the XR34 on Acer's forums as well, so if yours is problem free consider yourself lucky smile.gif

I haven't had any issues with my X34 for the record, and I don't see the scanlines some people reported at all - I've tried looking for them at low FPS with my eyes almost pressed to the screen, nada. Not saying they don't exist but I just don't see them, and I consider myself pretty picky, just recently returned a PG279Q due to uniformity issues. Quality wise this panel is as good as the LG UM95 it replaced, just with Gsync and 100 Hz on top of the ultrawide goodness. I'm really satisfied.

Totally get that. I figured there is at least 3 - 4 times more Gsync user's out there , hence more complaints. I think it goes along the old lines of " People don't post much when everything is fine ......but will be the first to post when they have an issue. " More Gsync users = more complaints heard. I am definitely NOT computer smart. I come here and read about things I have no idea about ( which is why I love this place ). And since I'm borderline stupid with computer's , I consider myself extremely lucky when it comes to getting new hardware. I've only had to RMA 3 things ever , 1 video card and two PSU's. BUT....being computer stupid has it's advantages......I don't see a lot of things some others may see. Basically leave everything stock , plug it in and go until it fails. smile.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600K Asus Sabertooth Z77 Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X  16GB Corsair Vegenance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
2 X 1TB Cav black  1 X samsung 830 120GB Win 7 X64 pro Acer XR34CK FreeSync version 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logiteck wireless K800 Seasonic Platium 1000W PSU CM Storm Trooper Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600K Asus Sabertooth Z77 Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X  16GB Corsair Vegenance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
2 X 1TB Cav black  1 X samsung 830 120GB Win 7 X64 pro Acer XR34CK FreeSync version 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logiteck wireless K800 Seasonic Platium 1000W PSU CM Storm Trooper Razer Naga 
  hide details  
Reply
post #635 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven467 View Post

Hooked up the shorter displayport cable that came with the x34. Same flickering, I feel like it's either the g-sync module warming up or the monitor itself warming up. After being on for about a minute, it stops. If this is as bad as it gets, I can live with it.

Just a update, the flicker seems to be getting worse and does it with or without gsync on. I've since elowwr the OC to 95hz and it hasn't happened since. Guess I got a 95hz model. With all the issues others are having, I'm not sure 5hz is worth rerolling the x34 lottery to have more issues on the next one.
post #636 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven467 View Post



Just a update, the flicker seems to be getting worse and does it with or without gsync on. I've since elowwr the OC to 95hz and it hasn't happened since. Guess I got a 95hz model. With all the issues others are having, I'm not sure 5hz is worth rerolling the x34 lottery to have more issues on the next one.

I've also noticed that 100Hz is a little glitchy, whereas 95Hz is stable.

I had a very bad flickering issue that lasted 45 minutes after a Netflix video I had been watching... listening to, actually (I was washing the dishes with my back to the monitor)... froze on me. The sound kept playing, but the video was frozen. I turned around and saw this. The screen was flickering like mad. I was convinced I had ruined the monitor. But incredibly the flickering went away.
post #637 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey- View Post

I've also noticed that 100Hz is a little glitchy, whereas 95Hz is stable.

I had a very bad flickering issue that lasted 45 minutes after a Netflix video I had been watching... listening to, actually (I was washing the dishes with my back to the monitor)... froze on me. The sound kept playing, but the video was frozen. I turned around and saw this. The screen was flickering like mad. I was convinced I had ruined the monitor. But incredibly the flickering went away.

Yeah I think these panels are pushed to the brink at 100hz, that's where the "up to" comes into play.
post #638 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven467 View Post

Yeah I think these panels are pushed to the brink at 100hz, that's where the "up to" comes into play.

I run mine at 100hz and no issues at all with flickering. 2 possible things, 1 its your computer causing the issue, my old computer with a GTX 760 would not even clock this to 100, my new one with dual 980ti's does it flawlessly. 2nd thing could be the monitor but I think its more likely your computer is having trouble pushing the needed power to run the monitor properly at 100hz. If everything about your computer, not just your video card, is top end, then I would consider RMA, lots of good X34's out there.

This monitor is really made for the very top end of gaming systems to be running it in full operation. You can run this with lesser cards at 95HZ and it still works very nicely. It was still amazing on my 760gtx system, though I could not run games near max as I can now.
post #639 of 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by primal35 View Post

I run mine at 100hz and no issues at all with flickering. 2 possible things, 1 its your computer causing the issue, my old computer with a GTX 760 would not even clock this to 100, my new one with dual 980ti's does it flawlessly. 2nd thing could be the monitor but I think its more likely your computer is having trouble pushing the needed power to run the monitor properly at 100hz. If everything about your computer, not just your video card, is top end, then I would consider RMA, lots of good X34's out there.

This monitor is really made for the very top end of gaming systems to be running it in full operation. You can run this with lesser cards at 95HZ and it still works very nicely. It was still amazing on my 760gtx system, though I could not run games near max as I can now.

I'm running a i7 4770k 4.5ghz and 980 sli at 1500 core 4001 mem. I easily maintain 100 fps in just about anything, I came from a 4k monitor. I have friend who bought two of these at tye same time and neither would work at 100hz on his titan x sli build or 980 ti sli build. It's a monitor issue for certain but I'm not sure the risk of returning it for a worse one is worth it. I may wait until January, newegg looks to be on a different batch by then.
post #640 of 3061
I would RMA it then. Our systems are very similar and when I upgrade my computer I run at 100hz no issues. Lots of good reviews on these and mine is a September monitor that shipped in end of Nov.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › ACER Predator X34 Owners Club