Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [WCCFTech]AMD Radeon R9 Nano Suffers From Major Coil Whine Issues – Poor Quality Chokes Blamed To Be The Reason
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[WCCFTech]AMD Radeon R9 Nano Suffers From Major Coil Whine Issues – Poor Quality Chokes Blamed To Be The Reason

post #1 of 208
Thread Starter 
Quote:
The Radeon R9 Nano was launched a few days back, featuring the Fiji XT GPU core and HBM architecture. The Radeon R9 Nano was said to be “Library Quiet” with load noise of just 42 dBA but it seems like the small form factor card suffers from major coil whine issues as reported by all the tech sites who managed to get a review sample of the card.
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-nano-suffering-major-coil-whine-issues-poor-quality-chokes-blamed-reason/


PCPer:
Quote:
When AMD launched the AMD Fury X card, one of the difficulties that AMD had was the annoying pump whine that permeated through the initial run of testing samples as well as the first batch of retail samples. AMD claims that a fix has been put in place for this but honestly we haven’t been able to get a hold of any other product from later production runs to validate that claim.

Because of that calamity I was disappointed to power on the R9 Nano for the first time on our test bed and hear the sound of coil whine from the card. This wasn’t the same problem as the Fury X, obviously, but instead the clear sound of inductors generating a buzzing sound that varies as the frame rate in the game changes. In a loading screen that is hitting 400 FPS? You are going to get a high pitched whine from the card. Playing a game at a modest 45 FPS? The sound will be a much gentler, lower pitched buzzing similar to that of a bumblebee.
The annoyance of this coil / PWM noise is going vary from user to user I’m sure, but the consensus in the office is that because the noise varies with the frame rate of the game it is MORE noticeable than the pump whine we found on the Fury X cards earlier in the summer
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-R9-Nano-Review/Noise-Testing-SFF-System-Build-Temperatures


Eurogamer:
Quote:
Our only gripe comes from the dreaded 'coil whine' - the R9 Nano is much louder here than the Fury X, a card we re-tested during production of this feature. It sounds akin to a constant buzzing, something that may be unique to our particular review sample.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-amd-radeon-r9-nano-review

Techspot
Quote:
It's worth noting that AMD's Nano reference sample generated a serious amount of coil noise. People complained about the Fury X coil noise but for us it wasn't that bad. The Nano really screams, however.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1061-amd-radeon-r9-nano/page12.html


Bit-Tech
Quote:
In the acoustic department, our main gripe with the R9 Nano is actually the coil whine we experienced throughout testing which was often considerably more obvious than any system fan noise. For such a premium graphics card, we would expect the use of better components and greater quality control to prevent coil whine, or at least to dampen it to some extent, and we hope that when retail availability proliferates AMD ensures coil whine is fixed, or at least minimised
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/09/10/amd-radeon-r9-nano-review/12

HardwareHeaven
Quote:
Coil Whine/Noise as it is commonly called is very much an issue on the R9 NANO. At above average framerates its almost a rattle and then as the FPS escalate it really turns into a near whistle. It’s the worst case of this phenomenon we have heard to date and it was close to causing the R9 NANO not to get any sort of award/recommendation.
https://www.hardwareheaven.com/2015/09/amd-radeon-r9-nano-review/


LegitReviews:
Quote:
AMD has only sent us two Fiji based cards and the Fury X has really bad pump whine and the Nano has choke whine. We know that AMD put a ton of time and effort into making the build quality on this card one that was said to be premium, so it’s really shocking to see that another noisy card was delivered to us by AMD to review. The choke noise on the AMD Radeon R9 Nano isn’t nearly as bad as the pump whine on the Fury X, but it’s something we don’t expect to see on a $649 video card here in 2015 where premium components are readily available.
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-nano-4gb-video-card-review_171995/9


TweakTown:
Quote:
Major Coil Whine: This is seriously annoying, but only in an open test bed. Inside of a system it will be much better, but I need to question this. Is AMD having issues with the Fiji-based cards? Because the Fury X had serious whine from the cooler too, but the R9 Nano doesn't have a watercooler or a pump. What gives?
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7335/amd-radeon-r9-nano-video-card-review-fury-dead/index12.html


Hexus:
Quote:
However, we noticed significant coil whine across our suite of games, particularly in Total War: Rome II. This may be sample-specific, but it would grate us long term if this was the case with all cards.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/86042-amd-radeon-r9-nano/?page=12


KitGuru own video showing the whine


JayzTwoCents
documenting the whine (15min 6 seconds)

HardwareCanucks
post #2 of 208
Didn't you post that the fury X had coil whine to? Any graphics card can have coil whine, why does everyone jump on it if it's an AMD card?rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 208
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post

Didn't you post that the fury X had coil whine to? Any graphics card can have coil whine, why does everyone jump on it if it's an AMD card?rolleyes.gif

I did and it was later investigated by PCPer and AMD found out that the pump was faulty due to some issues with the isolation glue on the first batches rolleyes.gif No graphic card have literally all reviews saying the card have coil whine. That have never happened before and it needs to be posted and the public needs to be informed

Going to be interesting to see what AMD says now
Edited by iLeakStuff - 9/12/15 at 3:32pm
post #4 of 208
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2474191/psu-msi-gtx-970-gaming-coil-whine.html
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns
http://forums.evga.com/Plagued-with-coil-whine-on-every-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-970-I-am-starting-to-get-mad-here-m2304663.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-m2289391.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/New-Gtx-970-FTW-Electrical-Buzzing-Noise-plz-help-m2243064-p2.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/Some-coil-whine-on-my-GTX-970-m2226438.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/Anybody-else-have-crazy-coil-whine-on-their-EVGA-gtx-970-ACX-10-m2221327.aspx
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1836762
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/229278-the-gtx-970980-coil-whine-thread/
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/242264-geforce-gtx-970-coil-whine-concerns/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/780211/970-coil-whine/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67822-graphics-card-coil-whine-investigation.html
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1236491-gtx-970-coil-whine-please-share-your-experience/
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/70419981
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52609-Strix-GTX-970-coil-whine
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?566427-GTX-970-Coil-Whine
http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/57868-evga-gtx-970-coil-whine
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064790655923596/
http://www.overclock.net/t/1515905/msi-gtx-970-coil-whine/20
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183704.0
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2390111
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18647491
http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/coil-whine-with-gtx-970-should-i-rma-tidf24165/
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96951
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/pc-99/guys-need-help-with-gtx-970-1761318/
http://www.avsim.com/topic/456953-gtx-970-coil-whine/
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-970-coil-whine/
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hov-to-avoid-getting-a-gtx-970-980-with-coil-whine.212975/
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2pu3to/discussion_gtx_970s_coil_whine_and_your_psu/
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2315904/msi-gtx-970-coil-whine.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2340091/gtx-970-coil-whine.html
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-970-FTW-vs-MSI-970-Gaming-4G-m2246908.aspx
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2417886

nvidia faced this as well with just the 970's and 980's.

before i got my 390's, i had two 970's. i went through four different ones till i finally got two g1 970's that didn't have coil whine. 2x evga, 1x msi, 1x asus. kept returning till i got ones that didn't. i wouldn't have returned them but they where incredibly loud. coil whine is no fun.
Edited by orlfman - 9/12/15 at 3:40pm
strix
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 XFX Vega 56 Corsair Vegeance LED 16gb ddr4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 1x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4 + 2x EK Vardar Ev... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Education Asus MG279Q Ducky One TKL RGB Evga Supernova G3 750 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Haf XB Evo Logitech 403 
  hide details  
Reply
strix
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 XFX Vega 56 Corsair Vegeance LED 16gb ddr4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 1x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4 + 2x EK Vardar Ev... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Education Asus MG279Q Ducky One TKL RGB Evga Supernova G3 750 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Haf XB Evo Logitech 403 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post

Didn't you post that the fury X had coil whine to? Any graphics card can have coil whine, why does everyone jump on it if it's an AMD card?rolleyes.gif

Well to be fair most reviews found that their sample had some sought of coil whine which implies that 90% of the nano cards might suffer the same fate, however I don't see why this thread is necessary since the op's sources are from the same sources in the nano review thread.
Giga Buster
(15 items)
 
Mega Buster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI RX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital  LG DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
COMPAQ WF1907 CM Storm Devastator EVGA 700W 80+ Bronze RAIDMAX VORTEX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Devastator AULA Onboard Realtek Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1600T @3.8ghz 1.325v M5A99X EVO EVGA GTX 460 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital  LG DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ACER 17 inch Agiler Antec 520-HCG Super T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
EUROCASE None Onboard VIA HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Giga Buster
(15 items)
 
Mega Buster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI RX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital  LG DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
COMPAQ WF1907 CM Storm Devastator EVGA 700W 80+ Bronze RAIDMAX VORTEX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Devastator AULA Onboard Realtek Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1600T @3.8ghz 1.325v M5A99X EVO EVGA GTX 460 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital  LG DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper TX3  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ACER 17 inch Agiler Antec 520-HCG Super T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
EUROCASE None Onboard VIA HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 208
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlfman View Post

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2474191/psu-msi-gtx-970-gaming-coil-whine.html
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns
http://forums.evga.com/Plagued-with-coil-whine-on-every-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-970-I-am-starting-to-get-mad-here-m2304663.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-m2289391.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/New-Gtx-970-FTW-Electrical-Buzzing-Noise-plz-help-m2243064-p2.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/Some-coil-whine-on-my-GTX-970-m2226438.aspx
http://forums.evga.com/Anybody-else-have-crazy-coil-whine-on-their-EVGA-gtx-970-ACX-10-m2221327.aspx
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1836762
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/229278-the-gtx-970980-coil-whine-thread/
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/242264-geforce-gtx-970-coil-whine-concerns/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/780211/970-coil-whine/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67822-graphics-card-coil-whine-investigation.html
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1236491-gtx-970-coil-whine-please-share-your-experience/
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/70419981
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52609-Strix-GTX-970-coil-whine
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?566427-GTX-970-Coil-Whine
http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/57868-evga-gtx-970-coil-whine
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064790655923596/
http://www.overclock.net/t/1515905/msi-gtx-970-coil-whine/20
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183704.0
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2390111
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18647491
http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/coil-whine-with-gtx-970-should-i-rma-tidf24165/
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96951
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/pc-99/guys-need-help-with-gtx-970-1761318/
http://www.avsim.com/topic/456953-gtx-970-coil-whine/
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-970-coil-whine/
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hov-to-avoid-getting-a-gtx-970-980-with-coil-whine.212975/
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2pu3to/discussion_gtx_970s_coil_whine_and_your_psu/
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2315904/msi-gtx-970-coil-whine.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2340091/gtx-970-coil-whine.html
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-970-FTW-vs-MSI-970-Gaming-4G-m2246908.aspx
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2417886

nvidia faced this as well with just the 970's and 980's. coil whine is no fun when its loud.

You don`t seem to understand.

Pretty much all R9 Nano reviews had coil whine. Few GTX 970 reviews had coil whine.
You are searching through forums for mention of GTX 970 coil whine, a card thats been out for a year and sold millions of cards. I can do the same with 7970 or any card and post a long list here as well.

There is something seriously wrong with R9 Nano. That wasnt the case with 7970.
Thats the difference.
post #7 of 208
Big Facepalm.

Every single gpu has coil whine. Sometimes you can hear it sometimes you cant. Physics baby.

I dont think that we need a news thread about coil whine.
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 208
Well - at least we can rule out AMD PR cherry picking review samples that have no coil whine to send to reviewers.

rolleyes.gif

I have owned a number of graphics cards since 1999 - some of my Nvidia and ATI/AMD cards have coil whine. The more powerful the card the more likely they will have it. It depends on the production batch of the capacitors and other stuff. Sometime they have it and sometime they don't - and it is not an RMA or warranty issue.

Its the nature of electronics.

If you don't want to deal with coil whine, don't use a GPU and use a potato instead.
Edited by speedyeggtart - 9/12/15 at 3:46pm
post #9 of 208
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Big Facepalm.

Every single gpu has coil whine. Sometimes you can hear it sometimes you cant. Physics baby.

I dont think that we need a news thread about coil whine.

Yes we do when it seems that a very high percentage of R9 Nano have so loud coil whine that reviewers complain and even deduct total score because of it.

Stop with the excuses
post #10 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

You don`t seem to understand.

Pretty much all R9 Nano reviews had coil whine. Few GTX 970 reviews had coil whine.
You are searching through forums for mention of GTX 970 coil whine, a card thats been out for a year and sold millions of cards. I can do the same with 7970 or any card and post a long list here as well.

There is something seriously wrong with R9 Nano. That wasnt the case with 7970.
Thats the difference.

see
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Big Facepalm.

Every single gpu has coil whine. Sometimes you can hear it sometimes you cant. Physics baby.

I dont think that we need a news thread about coil whine.

really this is just bashing amd for the sake of bashing them. i mean come on, look at all those links i linked, that wasn't even the tip of the ice burg over the 970's and 980's complaints about coil whine when the 970 - 980 came out. like i even said in my post, i myself went through four 970's because of their insane coil whine from three different manufacturers.

just google it yourself, here, i did it for you:

970
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=970+coil+whine
980
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=980+coil+whine
980ti
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=980ti+coil+whine

290x
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=290x+coil+whine
7970
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=7970+coil+whine

edit:
cool, nvidia 970 and 980 board samples didn't have them during time of review, but that didn't mean they didn't have it. seeing the sheer massive amount of complaints from 970 and 980 issues during release, they definitely did have coil whine issues. again, i had FOUR 970's from three different manufacturers with it myself. but later on the amount of complaints went down because board partners made sure to tighten down on whatever was causing the whine.

same will happen with the nano. even though the fury x reviews and regular fury reviews didn't complain of coil whine.... if we google...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fury+coil+whine

we see even fury's have coil whine let alone the pump whine on the x's.

and on the topic of fury x pump whine, i myself had a corsair h100i when i had my 8350. it too had a pump whine. and googling shows many users of AIO coolers complain of pump whine. its not fun, but its common.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=corsair+pump+whine
Edited by orlfman - 9/12/15 at 4:01pm
strix
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 XFX Vega 56 Corsair Vegeance LED 16gb ddr4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 1x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4 + 2x EK Vardar Ev... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Education Asus MG279Q Ducky One TKL RGB Evga Supernova G3 750 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Haf XB Evo Logitech 403 
  hide details  
Reply
strix
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 XFX Vega 56 Corsair Vegeance LED 16gb ddr4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 1x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4 + 2x EK Vardar Ev... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Education Asus MG279Q Ducky One TKL RGB Evga Supernova G3 750 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Haf XB Evo Logitech 403 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [WCCFTech]AMD Radeon R9 Nano Suffers From Major Coil Whine Issues – Poor Quality Chokes Blamed To Be The Reason