Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › AMD GPU Drivers: The Real Truth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD GPU Drivers: The Real Truth. - Page 44

post #431 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

hardly any change at 4K.

For the 980 Ti, yes. For the Fury X, a good increase over DX11 and over the 980 Ti.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #432 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

For the 980 Ti, yes. For the Fury X, a good increase over DX11 and over the 980 Ti.

If it were not for the 4GB my 290s might last longer than i think. Even my 7950.

Oh wait, my tahiti does not fully support DX 12, right?
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #433 of 454
Thread Starter 
Just for those who did not believe me that ROTTR, (among other games) are CPU limited and have certain CPU limiting settings. It's everything I've said, but from some Dev's themselves.
Quote:
"When using DirectX 11, in situations where the game is under heavy load--for example in the larger hubs of the game--the individual cores may not be able to feed a fast GPU like an Nvidia GTX 980 or even Nvidia GTX 970 quick enough," he said. "This means the game may not hit the desired frame rate, requiring you to turn down settings that impact CPU performance. Even though the game can use all your CPU cores, the majority of the DirectX 11 related work is all happening on a single core. With DirectX 12 a lot of the work is spread over many cores, and the framerate of the game will run at can be much higher for the same settings."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-updated-today-with-dire/1100-6435582/

You are welcome.....
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #434 of 454
Just running the benchmark I noticed that max and average framerate is a couple frames lower using DX12, but the minimums are quite a lot higher and closer to average fps than in DX11. I think I'd be willing to sacrifice 3 fps from the average for 20 fps higher minimums, I like DX12.

One note though- I couldn't get crossfire to work in DX12, if they get that working I wont use DX11 in any game that supports 12 if they all run like this.
post #435 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post

Just running the benchmark I noticed that max and average framerate is a couple frames lower using DX12, but the minimums are quite a lot higher and closer to average fps than in DX11. I think I'd be willing to sacrifice 3 fps from the average for 20 fps higher minimums, I like DX12.

One note though- I couldn't get crossfire to work in DX12, if they get that working I wont use DX11 in any game that supports 12 if they all run like this.

Either we need new drivers or the Direct-X 12 was not programmed as well as one can be.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #436 of 454
Memory usage, Rise of the Tomb Raider is poorly optimized for VRAM usage. 4GB GPUs end up eating 10.5GB of system memory. Heck even the GTX 980 Ti's 6GB framebuffer isn't enough.

Square Enix will need to work on memory optimizations.
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
post #437 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Just for those who did not believe me that ROTTR, (among other games) are CPU limited and have certain CPU limiting settings. It's everything I've said, but from some Dev's themselves.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-updated-today-with-dire/1100-6435582/

You are welcome.....
then you will rename the thread to something more accurate like The Directx 11 truth? because now driver also support DIrectx 12 and those have no issues
Edited by PontiacGTX - 3/11/16 at 5:07pm
post #438 of 454
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

then you will rename the thread to something more accurate like The DIrectx 11 truth? because now driver also support DIrectx 12 and those have no issues

The overhead is still driver related in many ways, so the title will remain the same. The OP also states that DX11 driver performance is the focus area of the discussion.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #439 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigan View Post

Memory usage, Rise of the Tomb Raider is poorly optimized for VRAM usage. 4GB GPUs end up eating 10.5GB of system memory. Heck even the GTX 980 Ti's 6GB framebuffer isn't enough.

Square Enix will need to work on memory optimizations.

Isnt this the clever guy who prophesied asynchronous compute being a bad deal for Maxwell while all the confusion was spreading as a rumor from 1 benchmark and a few comments by the devs? Speaking to you directly, you have the same profile picture and its the same forum so I will assume this is the case. Obviously pascals preemption is a serial method designed to maintain performance in DX11. Any thoughts on what it will be like in games like, 11 days time, mankind divided? Timespy for example, it has been said is not using the asynchronous compute properly for radeons on purpose, and naming it such for pascal is false advertising isn't it..... that said, going tback to topic. The DX11 drivers I have noticed in crisis 3 for example with my older haswell i7 at 4.8ghz was CPU bound at 3k with R9 390X CF OCed heavily on the emmory (Hynix). With skylake and cache OC matching core even though its 200mhz slower, the single threaded performance with the ram I have on top of it is 7% greater, and I can notice it as it directly relieves the bottleneck. Same thing in high resolution witcher 3. This concept crank the resolution and your GPU bound is ignorant, if the GPU(s) you have are incredibly powerful even not being used to their full potential. Obviously this changes with the new APIs.
post #440 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1945 View Post

Isnt this the clever guy who prophesied asynchronous compute being a bad deal for Maxwell while all the confusion was spreading as a rumor from 1 benchmark and a few comments by the devs? Speaking to you directly, you have the same profile picture and its the same forum so I will assume this is the case. Obviously pascals preemption is a serial method designed to maintain performance in DX11. Any thoughts on what it will be like in games like, 11 days time, mankind divided? Timespy for example, it has been said is not using the asynchronous compute properly for radeons on purpose, and naming it such for pascal is false advertising isn't it..... that said, going tback to topic. The DX11 drivers I have noticed in crisis 3 for example with my older haswell i7 at 4.8ghz was CPU bound at 3k with R9 390X CF OCed heavily on the emmory (Hynix). With skylake and cache OC matching core even though its 200mhz slower, the single threaded performance with the ram I have on top of it is 7% greater, and I can notice it as it directly relieves the bottleneck. Same thing in high resolution witcher 3. This concept crank the resolution and your GPU bound is ignorant, if the GPU(s) you have are incredibly powerful even not being used to their full potential. Obviously this changes with the new APIs.
Well, then don't... But why stop there? Let us leave everything stock and get a Fx-8150. Being selective about the operating system is ignorant, as well.
People hold onto your discourse! It is ignorant to overclock your system to its full potential.smile.gif





Though, can it pay Crysis? (Click to show)
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › AMD GPU Drivers: The Real Truth.