Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Xonar DX or.. something else?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xonar DX or.. something else? - Page 3

post #21 of 31
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking I should just get a fiio e10k USB DAC/AMP to make this a less complicated issue, I'm more of a gamer than an audio enthusiast and these are plug and play on linux as well. Does anyone care to compare these to one of the entry to mid xonars?
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by etplayer View Post

I'm thinking I should just get a fiio e10k USB DAC/AMP to make this a less complicated issue, I'm more of a gamer than an audio enthusiast and these are plug and play on linux as well. Does anyone care to compare these to one of the entry to mid xonars?

Where I would start is, finding the DAC chip that is used then compare the two, then compare features of the audio device. Pick the one that best suits you.
post #23 of 31
Or just jump in.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Edit1:
Not sure if supports linux :/

Edit2:
Supports
popular Linux distros
Edited by HITTI - 9/25/15 at 3:40am
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post

I vote soundblaster Z

i massively counter vote sb z due to Creative being pricks.
post #25 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axaion View Post

i massively counter vote sb z due to Creative being pricks.

Since they're a bit mean about writing drivers for different platforms I would assume their level of support isn't great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITTI View Post

Where I would start is, finding the DAC chip that is used then compare the two, then compare features of the audio device. Pick the one that best suits you.


Tbh some of the higher end or upper mid cards will have features I don't care for, like virtual surround sound. I'll probably never use the dolby, eax or similar features either, After some reading and thinking about it, what will matter for me then is the DAC and the AMP, and accurate audio rather than added effects and so on. I guess I can justify the slightly higher budget of e10k's if they are more accurate than a xonar. Other than that, I'd still be looking at swapping out the OP AMP to get what I'm looking for in terms of headphone quality, so I guess I should find some kind of primer in understanding audio so I can read those fancy graphs I keep seeing. I'd prefer to have a digital input option on a DAC as well but for the price point I don't see such a DAC with an AMP on it too.
post #26 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITTI View Post

Or just jump in.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Edit1:
Not sure if supports linux :/

Edit2:
Supports
popular Linux distros

So you recommend this DAC over the ek10? I'd get an e17 for the SPDIF option but I feel I'd be paying for features I don't need, like the portability and digital controls. I'd prefer something that'll stay on my desk or that I'd be able to stick on the wall alternatively.

EDIT:
Quote:
Modi 2 plugs into virtually any computer—Windows, Mac, popular Linux distros, Intel Chromebooks, as well as iPhones and iPads. Just plug in via USB and go with no drivers in Standard Mode, up to 24/96 output. Switch to Expert Mode for extended high-res capabilities to 24/192. This will require drivers for Windows, but for no other OS (hello, Microsoft!)

I imagine I'd be fine with linux, I'd have to work out how to configure an SPDIF dac but that's no issue. Many of the USB audio's won't require extra configuration in linux either I believe, unless they are doing something very non standard.
Edited by etplayer - 9/25/15 at 1:04pm
post #27 of 31
Thread Starter 
Alright so as much as I wasn't sure about a USB sound card, I just ordered a fiio e10k. From what I can tell it ought to be good enough if not better than other options, and removes the headache of trying to find a decent OP AMP as I wouldn't know where to start. Will see how I find it, if it's not alright for me I can try to return it to amazon, so not an issue. Thanks everyone for the input, I've learned a little about sound in the process as well smile.gif
post #28 of 31
Thread Starter 
So I thought I'd post back and let everyone know how it went. The DAC was very easy to setup for me, it required a small amount tinkering on linux but not a great deal, people not wanting to tinker will probably be okay if they use pulse audio (I don't so that's why I had to tinker a little). My verdict on the quality is it's very good, I'm noticing parts of music I didn't before and I also do not hear any noise apart from at the max volume on the e10k. I am pretty dead on at where footsteps are coming from in games now. If I have one complaint it's that my headphones do not get that loud on the low gain setting, possibly I should look at getting more sensitive headphones which is something I'm already considering so it might not be a big deal. Putting the bass mode on makes things seem a bit louder, and I feel it enhances in game sounds a little too due to bassy sounds being more noticable.
Edited by etplayer - 9/27/15 at 10:25pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post

I vote soundblaster Z
I avoid sound blaster Z altogether had alot of issues with 3 of them 1 was a review other 2 were personally purchased I gave it 3 shots with 2yrs or so for the drivers and such to mature it caused crashes and had a few other issues I will call headaches and general problems it took the bass out and if you added it back well it made all sound washed out in short the onboard on my ASUS sabertooth 990fx r2.0 seems better and my onboard doesn't cause crashes nor does it wash sound out like the sound blaster Z did.

I want to also point out creative sound blasters customer service would drive a sane man insane in short they had me running around testing it on 5 different rigs and then trying umptine dozen different methods to fix the issues I had. Then they said well yes sometimes it has been found our drivers and such conflict with other software / games and it would be fixed I bought another and came back bought another 1yr later same thing washed out sound and crashes galore. They gave me a 5 hour+ run around and also 7+ calls later just to tell me yes it is known issue that is driver related that conflicts with alot of games / software yet even a year+ later they never fixed it.

I say avoid sound blaster Z and creative in general because of the headaches and crap they pull and don't fix.
Edited by rickcooperjr - 9/28/15 at 7:36am
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post

I avoid sound blaster Z altogether had alot of issues with 3 of them 1 was a review other 2 were personally purchased I gave it 3 shots with 2yrs or so for the drivers and such to mature it caused crashes and had a few other issues I will call headaches and general problems it took the bass out and if you added it back well it made all sound washed out in short the onboard on my ASUS sabertooth 990fx r2.0 seems better and my onboard doesn't cause crashes nor does it wash sound out like the sound blaster Z did.

I want to also point out creative sound blasters customer service would drive a sane man insane in short they had me running around testing it on 5 different rigs and then trying umptine dozen different methods to fix the issues I had. Then they said well yes sometimes it has been found our drivers and such conflict with other software / games and it would be fixed I bought another and came back bought another 1yr later same thing washed out sound and crashes galore. They gave me a 5 hour+ run around and also 7+ calls later just to tell me yes it is known issue that is driver related that conflicts with alot of games / software yet even a year+ later they never fixed it.

I say avoid sound blaster Z and creative in general because of the headaches and crap they pull and don't fix.

Rick So what is your recommendation, cos you just squashed my soundblaster dreams?
FX Klasse
(25 items)
 
Warrior King
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI R9 290X Lightning MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Corsair  g.skill sniper gaming series 16gb 2400mhz ddr3 WD 1 TB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD 320 GB OCZ vertex 3 64GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Seagate 250 GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 525 GB Samsung SH-S223L Cooler Master Glacer 240l Windows 8.1 Pro N 64 bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit AOC 2462w Lenovo L2261wA Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG 750 Rosewill Future corsair vengeance m65 Turtle Beach Montego DDL 
Other
Altec Lansing ADA 995 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5775c Asus Z97 Deluxe Iris Pro 6200 G. Skill Trident X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 320 Crucial MX300 525GB Cooler master hyper 212 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
AOC 24 Steelseries Apex 350 Antec truepower trio 550w Corsair M65 
Mouse Pad
AMD Red Team Swag 
  hide details  
Reply
FX Klasse
(25 items)
 
Warrior King
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI R9 290X Lightning MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Corsair  g.skill sniper gaming series 16gb 2400mhz ddr3 WD 1 TB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD 320 GB OCZ vertex 3 64GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Seagate 250 GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 525 GB Samsung SH-S223L Cooler Master Glacer 240l Windows 8.1 Pro N 64 bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit AOC 2462w Lenovo L2261wA Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG 750 Rosewill Future corsair vengeance m65 Turtle Beach Montego DDL 
Other
Altec Lansing ADA 995 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5775c Asus Z97 Deluxe Iris Pro 6200 G. Skill Trident X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 320 Crucial MX300 525GB Cooler master hyper 212 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
AOC 24 Steelseries Apex 350 Antec truepower trio 550w Corsair M65 
Mouse Pad
AMD Red Team Swag 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Xonar DX or.. something else?