Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TV] Encryption might be the reason we've never heard from or been contacted by Aliens, says Snowden
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TV] Encryption might be the reason we've never heard from or been contacted by Aliens, says Snowden - Page 4

post #31 of 162
Quick reminder that Snowden didn't exactly leak anything that posed a real security threat to the US as far as I am aware. That was Assange. (the wikileaks guy)

As for the topic, maybe now we should go around trying to 'decrypt' all the cosmic noise! Maybe with quantum computers.
Edited by Tivan - 9/21/15 at 11:07pm
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 162
mkay, is he in Russia now? Could this be a side effect of too much vodka? Too much hollywood movies and the assumption that all aliens speak English? Too much of said movies and the assumption that life forms that would have advanced to such travel would even care for earth?
I could go on, but I can't stop laughing and wondering if he had a head trauma or just publicity stunt to remind that he's still alive.
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

mkay, is he in Russia now? Could this be a side effect of too much vodka? Too much hollywood movies and the assumption that all aliens speak English? Too much of said movies and the assumption that life forms that would have advanced to such travel would even care for earth?
I could go on, but I can't stop laughing and wondering if he had a head trauma or just publicity stunt to remind that he's still alive.

You'd be able to recognize patters of foregn language, unless it's encrypted. Encryption makes your data look like a random assortment much alike cosmic noise.

Also he's not proposing that there are aliens, merely pointing out that if there were, we might not hear of em anyway.

Blame the media for reporting on a statement that's pretty much common sense if you want, but I didn't find it too boring of a piece of news, personally. = D
Edited by Tivan - 9/21/15 at 11:14pm
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

You'd be able to recognize patters of foregn language, unless it's encrypted. Encryption makes your data look like a random assortment much alike cosmic noise.
Your basis is known languages on Earth, what makes you think or assume same principal would apply to alien language? Their language could be just white noise to us, their language could be inaudible to us... The background cosmic noise could be ancients sending universe wide message instead of big bang... the fact we cannot understand does not mean it is encrypted.
Your assumption of recognition of foreign alien language is based on that we think we are smart... who said chimp doesn't think it is smart? Is it really smart compared to us?

We've not made contact with aliens because they encrypt their data... ok. Can see this used in US senate next year.
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

Your basis is known languages on Earth, what makes you think or assume same principal would apply to alien language?

I'm sorry but I cannot fathom a species that speaks in chaos. Recurring patterns, such as the existence of words that are used more than once per 10000 words, are pretty helpful in communication.

Doesn't have to be 'words', by the way. We couldn't exactly tell if it's words or not if we do find recurring patterns in cosmic noise. If there is something, but it's encrypted, we'd merely not find recurring patterns at all. Doesn't mean that your theory of a super species that uses abstract language that is completely irregular in all of its expressions, is incorrect, either. It just gives an explanation why a common form of communication (one with recurring patterns) would not be detected, if it existed out there and was sent in some wave form.

edit:
Quote:
We've not made contact with aliens because they encrypt their data...

Actually, the wording used was if there are aliens, then their communication is encrypted, therefore we would not distinguish it from the cosmic noise background (given it's in wave form to begin with).

There's room for alternative explanations like 'alien's don't exist', or 'aliens don't communicate with waves', given this format.
Edited by Tivan - 9/21/15 at 11:33pm
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 162
I still think they visited the Earth when dinosaurs were here and decided the planet was worthless tongue.gif

/s
Blackie
(11 items)
 
Old Faithful
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K Asus Z87 PRO GTX 780 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250GB EVO Seagate Barracuda 2TB H90 Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseAudio
Seasonic 660W Platinum Fractal Design R4 Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4 Ghz Gigabyte UD3P Z68XP EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked 16 GB Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64 GB Samsung 830 SSD 500 GB Seagate Barracuda  H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Seasonic X 750W 500R Corsair M60 
  hide details  
Reply
Blackie
(11 items)
 
Old Faithful
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K Asus Z87 PRO GTX 780 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250GB EVO Seagate Barracuda 2TB H90 Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseAudio
Seasonic 660W Platinum Fractal Design R4 Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4 Ghz Gigabyte UD3P Z68XP EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked 16 GB Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64 GB Samsung 830 SSD 500 GB Seagate Barracuda  H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Seasonic X 750W 500R Corsair M60 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

I'm sorry but I cannot fathom a species that speaks in chaos. Recurring patterns, such as the existence of words that are used more than once per 10000 words, is pretty helpful in language.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly."
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly."

Actually, I never disagreed with that.

You're free to propose a theory such as that. Snowden simply pointed out one reason why we might not have heard of aliens yet. (one that's easy to forget about and a little more likely than an alien super species that simply uses a language that is so advanced it makes without any recurring patterns period. But you are free to put out this theory of yours as well. It might as well be the case, though it doesn't come with much supporting evidence. Not going to say you watched too much hollywood.)
Edited by Tivan - 9/21/15 at 11:44pm
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

Actually, I never disagreed with that.
And yet you based your previous post on your definition of normal.
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

And yet you based your previous post on your definition of normal.

Elaborate. I never used the word normal, I never tried to lead a discussion about normal. I'm not saying god doesn't exist, but science has a tendency to stay clear of these topics. Sure, that's 'normal', but I never disagreed that god could exist.

Not saying aliens are god, but the argument you're making with regard to supporting your theory is the same one. Which I do not take offense with, but I tend to base my discussion points on things with substance. I do not discredit points that aren't supported by any evidence, either, though. Again you're free to make your argument for why you think we have not heard of aliens yet. But snowden's suggestion is just a suggestion as well, akin to your suggestions. (though his come with some more context as to why they'd potentially be relevant. You could maybe flesh out your theory as well and come to similarly striking conclusions why alien language might just be pure chaos. Maybe all cosmic background is actually aliens having a lively chatter.)

You are proposing that snowden's theory is unlikely because yours is more likely. Which is a fair point. Flesh it out and we can have a discussion. Still a little awkward to ridicule him, merely because you think he's wrong and you are right. But I don't judge man, if you're enjoying yourself, go ahead.
Edited by Tivan - 9/21/15 at 11:57pm
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TV] Encryption might be the reason we've never heard from or been contacted by Aliens, says Snowden