Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TV] Encryption might be the reason we've never heard from or been contacted by Aliens, says Snowden
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TV] Encryption might be the reason we've never heard from or been contacted by Aliens, says Snowden - Page 5

post #41 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

And yet you based your previous post on your definition of normal.

Yes, but there is always commonality. Using your spider and fly example:

Light will always be light. Water will always be water. Gravity will always be gravity. Heat will always be heat.

There are limitations to physics and elements. A hypothetical being that transcends our known dimensions probably won't have any encrypted transmissions that we can detect with our current technology anyways, and will be operating under a different set of rules and limitations. However, assuming that the transmissions are something our current technology is capable of detecting, there are certain patterns that will always be present that can be detected. We might not be able to decipher the contents of the transmission, but we will know that the transmission exists.

Edit:

After further thought, what Snowden suggests is actually extremely unlikely to happen. Here is why:

The first assumption we have to make is that the transmissions can be picked up by our instruments. If they cannot be picked up, it doesn't matter whether or not it is encrypted. Therefore, we have to assume our observation instruments are actually capable of picking it up.

Assuming that it can be picked up, if it is encrypted, it will appear as stronger noise in an area. The transmission waves themselves (again, assuming it is something we can pick up, which at the moment is light-waves) aren't encrypted (seriously, we don't mask a 2.4 GHz wave to be a 5 GHz wave, that's physically impossible). Encryption and decryption occurs at the transmission and receiving device. A receiving device without the decryption hardware can still pick up the transmission and record it. This recording, or stronger noise, will appear as an anomaly.

Astronomers basically live on finding anomalies. That's how they find and discover things. Periodic slight dimming of a star? That's a planet passing in front of it. Therefore, an anomaly won't go unnoticed for long, especially if it's a continuous anomaly. A blip might go unnoticed until someone reviews the data, but a constant transmission is sure to be discovered sooner or later.

Therefore, encryption cannot be a reason why we have not discovered alien transmissions. The reasons why we have not discovered alien transmissions will be as follows:

There are no aliens. (Extremely unlikely)
Their transmissions are far too weak for us to pick up. (Most likely)
They are too far away and it is a matter of time before their transmissions reach us. (Unlikely, power requirements would be massive)
They use a communication method that our instruments are physically incapable of picking up. (Possible)
Edited by Tsumi - 9/22/15 at 12:41am
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Reply
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Sorry but what you said is the exact opposite of logical.

Besides, who said that Intelligent Life had to be present in our Visible Universe?
This.

Okay.... now is the time of a relevant commercial.
Haswell i3
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3-4150 @ 3.5 GHz Asus B85M-G Rev 1.01, Bios: 2501 Integrated Intel HD 4400 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.14 Seagate 500 GB 2.5" Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H70 Windows 10 64 bit Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850 V2 CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Logitech M170 
  hide details  
Reply
Haswell i3
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3-4150 @ 3.5 GHz Asus B85M-G Rev 1.01, Bios: 2501 Integrated Intel HD 4400 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.14 Seagate 500 GB 2.5" Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H70 Windows 10 64 bit Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850 V2 CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Logitech M170 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

Elaborate. I never used the word normal, I never tried to lead a discussion about normal. I'm not saying god doesn't exist, but science has a tendency to stay clear of these topics. Sure, that's 'normal', but I never disagreed that god could exist.

Not saying aliens are god, but the argument you're making with regard to supporting your theory is the same one. Which I do not take offense with, but I tend to base my discussion points on things with substance. I do not discredit points that aren't supported by any evidence, either, though. Again you're free to make your argument for why you think we have not heard of aliens yet. But snowden's suggestion is just a suggestion as well, akin to your suggestions. (though his come with some more context as to why they'd potentially be relevant. You could maybe flesh out your theory as well and come to similarly striking conclusions why alien language might just be pure chaos. Maybe all cosmic background is actually aliens having a lively chatter.)

You are proposing that snowden's theory is unlikely because yours is more likely. Which is a fair point. Flesh it out and we can have a discussion. Still a little awkward to ridicule him, merely because you think he's wrong and you are right. But I don't judge man, if you're enjoying yourself, go ahead.

Normal in our view as species. Normal understanding that our conversations involve repeating structure and sounds. Normal in a sense that we can pick it up, distinguish and eventually understand.
Also normal in a sense that our means of communication are used by aliens.

I'm athiest. My argument has nothing in common with god.
Snowdens 'suggestion' is a mere reminder of his existence.
Snowdens theory bases itself on assumption that Alien races are similar to us... Derogatory self destructive society. In my fantasy about aliens it is nothing like that.
I am not proposing my theory to be more likely than snowdens, I'm flat out saying he's an imbecile and this is cheap publicity stunt. not wrong, just a publicity stunt. Like kardashians with sex tape.
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

My argument has nothing in common with god.

I see this differently.
Quote:
Snowdens 'suggestion' is a mere reminder of his existence.

That's your interpretation of the story. I think it's clickbait. This piece of news exists for the sake of the news outlet, not for the sake of the object featured in the story.
Quote:
Snowdens theory bases itself on assumption that Alien races are similar to us... Derogatory self destructive society. In my fantasy about aliens it is nothing like that.

God is pretty much fantasy as well. Also, the arrangement of our society is A) not altering physics and B) merely a snapshot. Personally, I have a more romantic view of mankind. = D
Quote:
I'm flat out saying he's an imbecile and this is cheap publicity stunt.

Maybe say that next time, then. Why he's watching too much hollywood is still not clear to me. The quote you presented in the later conversation also doesn't really expess that he's an imbecile and that this is a publicity stunt, at all. I think we got a little sidetracked?

edit: Anyway, I think we're left with trifling matters with no need of addressing, have a nice day!
Edited by Tivan - 9/22/15 at 2:42am
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Cute PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k@4200 Sabertooth x79 R9 290 Tri-X@950/1250 4x4GB@2133CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 Mugen 4 Win7 Benq xl2411z 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC EA231WMi QPad-MK50 (reds) Seasonic S12G 750 Define R4  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 3.5G BE Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Large Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

They already have contacted us, it's called Dubstep.
Shadownet
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k Asus rampage V Extreme  Inno3D GTX 970 Hercluez x4 airboss ultra  Gskill ripjaws DDR4 3200mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD black  WD Black  Seagate ES  Custom loop  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10  Corsair k70  Super flower 1000 W plat  Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Shadownet
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k Asus rampage V Extreme  Inno3D GTX 970 Hercluez x4 airboss ultra  Gskill ripjaws DDR4 3200mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD black  WD Black  Seagate ES  Custom loop  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10  Corsair k70  Super flower 1000 W plat  Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 162
I like this description of the fermi paradox

While it is possible that aliens would be encrypting all communications, but if they are a more intelligent life forms than use, how would we even comprehend what is being broadcast, if we even figured out there was really encrypted alien broadcast?

There is also a chance we the most sophisticated life from in the galaxy tongue.gif
Nothing V2
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz Asrock z77 Extreme4 Club3D R9 290 Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair 120GB SSD Samsung 1.5TB Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-RAM 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermaltake Frio Window 7 Ultimate Samsung BX2450 LG W2343S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Razor Blackwidow Corsair TX750W Coolermaster CM690 Gigabyte Ghost 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
Nothing V2
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz Asrock z77 Extreme4 Club3D R9 290 Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair 120GB SSD Samsung 1.5TB Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-RAM 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermaltake Frio Window 7 Ultimate Samsung BX2450 LG W2343S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Razor Blackwidow Corsair TX750W Coolermaster CM690 Gigabyte Ghost 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

About as baseless a basis as I can imagine.

I did say those are my PERSONAL beliefs, and through philosophy one might find it agreeable, though it's also a PERSONAL understanding, if you know what that means.
post #48 of 162
Maybe the reason why we haven't heard from aliens isn't because of encryption. Maybe its because:

1) There are none.
2) There are but they aren't advanced enough to communicate yet.
3) Maybe they are more advanced but don't want to "attract attention" to themselves and risk being attacked.
4) Maybe because distances are too great and it hasn't reached us yet.
5) Maybe because they are planning to attack us and want the element of surprise.
6) Maybe because they are so vastly different, they have been but we are too stupid to realize they are.
7) Maybe they have and we just don't do "sub-space radios" yet.
8) SETI forgot to pay the Sirius XM radio subscription.

Who the heck knows, but seriously, because it's encrypted?

Isn't this guys 15 minutes of fame up yet?
post #49 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledonny View Post

Encryption is not free. Why would we expect every signal to be encrypted when many are not worth the cost because the contents are not secret?

That's making the assumption that aliens would be like us. In reality there's a very small chance that aliens will be like us. Perhaps they work off of some weird federation-type system where they work to better themselves rather than to sate our fear of not having enough. Point is, encryption is only not free if people charge a fee for it.
post #50 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

They already have contacted us, it's called Dubstep.

Yes. LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TV] Encryption might be the reason we've never heard from or been contacted by Aliens, says Snowden