Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 780 Strix 6GB vs 970 MSI gaming 4G
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

780 Strix 6GB vs 970 MSI gaming 4G

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
780 Strix 6GB vs 970 MSI gaming 4G
which is better and faster ?
both the same price
post #2 of 33
970 MSI gaming 4G is better and faster.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k Apex X TITAN X (Pascal)  Trident Z 4400MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k Apex X TITAN X (Pascal)  Trident Z 4400MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

970 MSI gaming 4G is better and faster.
no chance the 780 6GB is better in any way ?
post #4 of 33
The 970 will OC like a champ,.
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 33
The 6GB of VRAM is nice but the 970 is going to be faster at the end of the day.. unless you are in a situation where you are going to be using a ton of VRAM where the 970 might struggle.
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

The 970 will OC like a champ,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

The 6GB of VRAM is nice but the 970 is going to be faster at the end of the day.. unless you are in a situation where you are going to be using a ton of VRAM where the 970 might struggle.
which games requires alot of VRAM ?
or which situation i require alot of vram.
sorry im new to this vram 6gb vs 4gb thing xD i thought higher better xD
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk View Post


which games requires alot of VRAM ?
or which situation i require alot of vram.
sorry im new to this vram 6gb vs 4gb thing xD i thought higher better xD

More VRAM doesn't translate into a faster GPU.

What resolution are you playing at? If you are playing at 1080p or even 1440p the VRAM on the 970 should not be a problem.

VRAM usage will depend on the resolution, the game, and the settings used. It also isn't the same from card to card if they vary in VRAM amounts. In some games, if you have a lot of VRAM the game will just fill the VRAM up because it has room to do so. So while some games may appear to use a ton of VRAM, they may not necessarily require that much VRAM to run smoothly.
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

More VRAM doesn't translate into a faster GPU.

What resolution are you playing at? If you are playing at 1080p or even 1440p the VRAM on the 970 should not be a problem.

VRAM usage will depend on the resolution, the game, and the settings used. It also isn't the same from card to card if they vary in VRAM amounts. In some games, if you have a lot of VRAM the game will just fill the VRAM up because it has room to do so. So while some games may appear to use a ton of VRAM, they may not necessarily require that much VRAM to run smoothly.
for desktop im planning to use a 4k monitor. internet browsing and stuff. for gaming i prefer using 1080p. but with max out settings and all AA on and AAA at max
post #9 of 33
If you are going to be gaming at 1080p then the 970 would be a great choice.

If you are going to be gaming at 4K the 970 will still be a good choice but you will have to turn down some settings if you wanna maintain a smooth 60 FPS. For 4K gaming you'd wanna jump up to the 980 Ti for a single card solution.

I can't really suggest going with a 780 even if it is the 6GB version.
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

If you are going to be gaming at 1080p then the 970 would be a great choice.

If you are going to be gaming at 4K the 970 will still be a good choice but you will have to turn down some settings if you wanna maintain a smooth 60 FPS. For 4K gaming you'd wanna jump up to the 980 Ti for a single card solution.

I can't really suggest going with a 780 even if it is the 6GB version.
does turning on all the AA and AAA to max. need more vram ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 780 Strix 6GB vs 970 MSI gaming 4G