Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Ars] Nerves rattled by highly suspicious Windows Update delivered worldwide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Ars] Nerves rattled by highly suspicious Windows Update delivered worldwide - Page 13

post #121 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

If you want to retain control over such things, you hide such details because if and when they do get out it will cause you problems.

I don't hide my passwords and emails for for the sake of privacy. I don't hide them because I would be greatly harmed by people seeing their contents. I don't hide them because I have to fear any legal consequences. I hide them because I wish to retain control of the accounts.

Anyway, the entire premise behind statements like "if you don't have anything to hide privacy isn't a concern", or "only people with something to hide care about privacy", or "if you have something to hide it must be shameful or illegal", are some of the most spurious, inane, and ill conceived arguments imaginable. The only people that believe such idiotic tripe are either phenomenally sheltered, liars so prolific that they have come to believe their own nonsense, or bigots of unsurpassed caliber.

Or maybe, just maybe, they are non-paranoid, normal people who do not think its the end of the friggin world that MS wants to take certain data off of your computer to make MS services and apps work better for you. rolleyes.gif
post #122 of 133
I have a M-audio Oxygen 88 midi keyboard. That does not work with Win 8 or Win 10. Works fine with any apple made since 2008.
post #123 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGTy View Post

That's a great way to corrupt your data.

Why?

Have ran win7 sp1, for yrs with updates turned off, and still do on the other machine - no probs at all thumb.gif
post #124 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGTy View Post

No updates = security holes = malware = potential corruption.

still a chicken and egg syndrome ' security holes = malware ' before they are found?' ' Or after they have found ? '

I have not had any real probs, 1 bit malware in 6yrs . Windows defender is crap, if you have Avast or similar, you really have to go out of your way to get corrupted! I am your average male that dilly's and dallys here and there for eye excitement... and yet hardly came across a prob, and if unable to correct, then that is when sys image comes into play! biggrin.gif

thumb.gif
post #125 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

If you want to retain control over such things, you hide such details because if and when they do get out it will cause you problems.

I don't hide my passwords and emails for for the sake of privacy. I don't hide them because I would be greatly harmed by people seeing their contents. I don't hide them because I have to fear any legal consequences. I hide them because I wish to retain control of the accounts.

Anyway, the entire premise behind statements like "if you don't have anything to hide privacy isn't a concern", or "only people with something to hide care about privacy", or "if you have something to hide it must be shameful or illegal", are some of the most spurious, inane, and ill conceived arguments imaginable. The only people that believe such idiotic tripe are either phenomenally sheltered, liars so prolific that they have come to believe their own nonsense, or bigots of unsurpassed caliber.

You cannot put everybody in a category - I myself too old to care about privacy, its like crying over split milk. Soon as your born, hospitals , doctors and ..... have your details, and we are not talking about the last few yrs, but before governments and google came a long. It was the invention of the computer that really invaded our privacy. One click of a button and ' Hey Presto. '

And would I like everybody to know that i visit ...., no I wouldn't, but for someone knowing, who i will never see, meet, I don't give a care in the world, the chances are he or she are in the same boat. I would rather be spied on if it helped , just once, in saving lives of other people being murdered in some terrorism act. Cos that maybe a sister, brother or someone very close to me

And all the people that rant, I know where your coming from, but lets be realistic - its gonna get worst and we cannot do anything about it! Unless you do what the French did.

' Off with their Heads ' Now that's what I like thumbsupsmiley.png
post #126 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGTy View Post

No updates = security holes = malware = potential corruption.

still a chicken and egg syndrome ' security holes = malware ' before they are found?' ' Or after they have found ? '

I have not had any real probs, 1 bit malware in 6yrs . Windows defender is crap, if you have Avast or similar, you really have to go out of your way to get corrupted! I am your average male that dilly's and dallys here and there for eye excitement... and yet hardly came across a prob, and if unable to correct, then that is when sys image comes into play! biggrin.gif

thumb.gif
Not having had a problem doesn't mean you're not more likely to get one. The fact that you're trusting AV software to protect you against problems that may be related to the OS is the first step to run into problems.

Having your OS updated is just better in terms of security. You can't use the "no problems here" argument to make a case against updates.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27ES Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G703 Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27ES Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G703 Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #127 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

If you want to retain control over such things, you hide such details because if and when they do get out it will cause you problems.

I don't hide my passwords and emails for for the sake of privacy. I don't hide them because I would be greatly harmed by people seeing their contents. I don't hide them because I have to fear any legal consequences. I hide them because I wish to retain control of the accounts.

Anyway, the entire premise behind statements like "if you don't have anything to hide privacy isn't a concern", or "only people with something to hide care about privacy", or "if you have something to hide it must be shameful or illegal", are some of the most spurious, inane, and ill conceived arguments imaginable. The only people that believe such idiotic tripe are either phenomenally sheltered, liars so prolific that they have come to believe their own nonsense, or bigots of unsurpassed caliber.

Or maybe, just maybe, they are non-paranoid, normal people who do not think its the end of the friggin world that MS wants to take certain data off of your computer to make MS services and apps work better for you. rolleyes.gif

Pretty sure having "Royal navy" in your avatar is a guarantee the NSA will suck up your data anyway.
Krähe
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k X99 Deluxe GTX 970 Kingston Pred 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 850 Custom loop Win 7 Ultimate 64 Evga G2 850w 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo 
  hide details  
Reply
Krähe
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k X99 Deluxe GTX 970 Kingston Pred 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 850 Custom loop Win 7 Ultimate 64 Evga G2 850w 
Case
Phanteks Enthoo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

Not having had a problem doesn't mean you're not more likely to get one. The fact that you're trusting AV software to protect you against problems that may be related to the OS is the first step to run into problems.

Having your OS updated is just better in terms of security. You can't use the "no problems here" argument to make a case against updates.

Gonna be blunt here, my win7 copy with sp1 without updates after, get it? and used in the 5-6yrs after, no probs - no case for, nor against, just the situation, but it has not hurt me, nor many others in the same boat. If it was a corporate machine etc , then I would worry .
post #129 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post

Gonna be blunt here, my win7 copy with sp1 without updates after, get it? and used in the 5-6yrs after, no probs - no case for, nor against, just the situation, but it has not hurt me, nor many others in the same boat.
So, you're not really making a point, just sharing your anecdote. Alright, then.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27ES Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G703 Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27ES Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G703 Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #130 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Or maybe, just maybe, they are non-paranoid, normal people who do not think its the end of the friggin world that MS wants to take certain data off of your computer to make MS services and apps work better for you. rolleyes.gif

Your statement is a strawman wrapped in an overgeneralization. The post you quoted addresses attitudes that go far beyond MS collecting telemetry. One does not need to be paranoid to desire privacy, and if normal means common or typical, "normal people" are quite obsessive about numerous aspects of their own privacy, and are even willing to force the maintenance of certain levels of privacy upon those around them.

Regardless, if Microsoft wants to make it's services and apps work better for me, they can stop integrating them into the operating systems I'd otherwise enjoy using. Of course, I don't expect them to cater to me, because they don't actually care about making their products work better for me...or for you, or for the "normal people"; they care about them working better for Microsoft. Which is all well and good, but the path they are going down with this mandatory telemetry nonsense and progressive disinterest in giving customers meaningful choice, will come back to bite them, as it has in the past.
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.2/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.175/1.15v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti (F3P) @ 2025/1485, 1... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-12-12-28-T1, 1.34v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.06) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+ @ 1053/500, 1.225vGPU/1... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.2/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.175/1.15v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti (F3P) @ 2025/1485, 1... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-12-12-28-T1, 1.34v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.06) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+ @ 1053/500, 1.225vGPU/1... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Ars] Nerves rattled by highly suspicious Windows Update delivered worldwide