Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Gaming benchmarks: Ivy Bridge Core i5 VS Core i7 hyperthreading test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaming benchmarks: Ivy Bridge Core i5 VS Core i7 hyperthreading test - Page 4

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshock View Post

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!

As per request by some members, i have redone all the benchmarks at lowest settings on 1024x768 resolution in order to disable possible GPU bottleneck.

CORE%20I7%203770%20HT%20LOW_zpsa6kjhvha.jpg

As you can see, the results speak basically of the same pattern as in the highest settings benchmark. The only small difference might be Hitman Absolution slightly benefiting from HT.

However, notice that Batman Arkham Origins, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Metro Last Light Redux suffered a penalty in minimal frame rates with HT on!!!

I now i have really proved that HT is worthless in gaming. If you did not believe me before, perhaps you do now? smile.gif

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but in no way have you proved that HT is worthless in gaming. In fact the results seem very different than what I've achieved comparing ht on vs off as well as the endless amounts of benchmarks that include both i5 and i7. Yet, somehow your i7 is in some cases dropping quite a few frames? I7's have more cache, too over an i5.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort, but those charted results seem off a bit. The problem is a lot of those games are quit frankly pretty old and/or single player. We all know BF4 64 player is another beast, and I've replicated big drops in frames on both my 9590 and 4790k when disabling four cores on the 9590 and HT on the 4790k.

The only two games on there that are fairly new are Metro Redux which generally favors HT, yet your results show a 20fps drop in min and 13fps less average? Witcher 3 oddly also shows exactly the same results between the two... Yea it can happen, but W3 is actually decently threaded.

Going to try to do some runs tonight on games to see myself as I have good portion of those on the list.. Just for the sake of consistency, how were you running the benches? What levels, etc.
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaq View Post

A test in the realm of MMO would be interesting. For example GuildWars2 in a world-v-world map is heavily CPU bound.
PlanetSide2 is a MMO fps, this one free to play, that in large fights poses a challenge for most rigs to maintain good FPS.

I can attest to this, Guild Wars 2 in World vs. World is incredibly CPU intensive. So intensive that there are points in which you have a very unplayable game due to the number of players in your general vicinity.
post #33 of 37
Thread Starter 
So, a lot of the games are indeed from 2012/2013 and single player. Most of them are still very popular and will be for some years to come - notice that sites like Techpowerup also test games 2 or 3 years old (Quake 4, Call of Duty 4 and Crysis Warhead have been tested for god knows how many years) and have just few some extra new ones. For these 20 single player games that i have shown the case has been sealed, at least with Ivy Bridge. Now, i have the opportunity to test I7 6700K just like i did 3770. Perhaps the situation will be different with Skylake..

Repeating benchmarks - the screenshots basically represent the testing place. Games, which do not have built in benchmarks are tested at specific auto-checkpoints with Fraps in a 15 seconds bench. Build-in benchmarks of LP2 and RE6 are tested only at first 15 seconds. F1 is tested at first 15 seconds since the lights go off. However, those are not really 100 % repeatable, because there still will be minor quality setting differences. Witcher 3 is the only custom save.
Edited by Marshock - 10/4/15 at 12:33am
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshock View Post

So, a lot of the games are indeed from 2012/2013 and single player. Most of them are still very popular and will be for some years to come - notice that sites like Techpowerup also test games 2 or 3 years old (Quake 4, Call of Duty 4 and Crysis Warhead have been tested for god knows how many years) and have just few some extra new ones. For these 20 single player games that i have shown the case has been sealed, at least with Ivy Bridge. Now, i have the opportunity to test I7 6700K just like i did 3770. Perhaps the situation will be different with Skylake..

Repeating benchmarks - the screenshots basically represent the testing place. Games, which do not have built in benchmarks are tested at specific auto-checkpoints with Fraps in a 15 seconds bench. Build-in benchmarks of LP2 and RE6 are tested only at first 15 seconds. F1 is tested at first 15 seconds since the lights go off. However, those are not really 100 % repeatable, because there still will be minor quality setting differences. Witcher 3 is the only custom save.

with the setup you have available, like i mentioned in a earlier post, even an i3 will suffice. now, sli a couple 760s or higher might make HT work for a living in the games that use them.

i use an i7 HT off with one 290. With 2 290s, i keep HT on.

edit: however, a member found some settings in one game that i have not used but may be useful to others . . . see post #57 . . .

http://www.overclock.net/t/1553034/low-fps-with-r9-290x/50#post_24449807

for amd only, though.
Edited by rdr09 - 10/4/15 at 1:48am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 8 / 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 7 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 8 / 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 7 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshock View Post

So, a lot of the games are indeed from 2012/2013 and single player. Most of them are still very popular and will be for some years to come - notice that sites like Techpowerup also test games 2 or 3 years old (Quake 4, Call of Duty 4 and Crysis Warhead have been tested for god knows how many years) and have just few some extra new ones. For these 20 single player games that i have shown the case has been sealed, at least with Ivy Bridge. Now, i have the opportunity to test I7 6700K just like i did 3770. Perhaps the situation will be different with Skylake..

Repeating benchmarks - the screenshots basically represent the testing place. Games, which do not have built in benchmarks are tested at specific auto-checkpoints with Fraps in a 15 seconds bench. Build-in benchmarks of LP2 and RE6 are tested only at first 15 seconds. F1 is tested at first 15 seconds since the lights go off. However, those are not really 100 % repeatable, because there still will be minor quality setting differences. Witcher 3 is the only custom save.

Ok, but it's not news that a lot of older games are not threaded well... let alone past four threads. This argument was more useful back in the days of Dual Core vs Quad Core, etc. Games these days are more threaded then ever (which is still not saying much) and when you claim...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshock View Post

I now i have really proved that HT is worthless in gaming. If you did not believe me before, perhaps you do now? smile.gif

that HT is worthless, it's really going to be scrutinized. These random 15 second runs especially in the above games are not nearly enough to make a claim like that. And as pointed out, HT shows most of it's worth on either very high end gpu's or sli/crossfire.
Edited by SoloCamo - 10/4/15 at 5:37am
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 37
Thread Starter 
I can draw a conclusion that single player games do not benefit from Hyper Threading with Core i7 Ivy Bridge processors. I now have a GTX980 G1 (replaced my GTX670 and GTX760) and my friend has a Core i7 6700K. I am going to repeat these tests and see if Skylake HT shows different results from Ivy Bridge.
post #37 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshock View Post

I am going to repeat these tests and see if Skylake HT shows different results from Ivy Bridge.

To all subscribers of this thread - i've repeated the test with Core i7 6700K, this time using GTX780 Ti GHz Edition:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1588555/gaming-benchmarks-skylake-core-i7-hyperthreading-test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Gaming benchmarks: Ivy Bridge Core i5 VS Core i7 hyperthreading test