Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TNW] Amazon sets a worrisome precedent by halting Chromecast and Apple TV sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TNW] Amazon sets a worrisome precedent by halting Chromecast and Apple TV sales - Page 12

post #111 of 136
My point of view......I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. The sales Amazon miss is on themselves. Other vendors will gladly pick up on the loss of revenue Amazon will not generate. Amazon isn't a monopoly and they share a direct product they are in competition

As already mentioned, We don't expect Apple to sell Amazon Firesticks or Chromecast on their site. Google can use other vendors like Newegg easily.

If Amazon's stance isn't favorable to some, use consumer choice by not purchasing other products from Amazon to show displeasure. Wether it effects sales enough or not doesn't matter if a consumer feels better at the end of the day by using thier wallet as a vote each time they purchase products elsewhere. End of story.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #112 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Uber only works if you live in. A big market though, right? I'd give it a go but I live in a small town so not sure it would work out. Besides, it could be a little scary...

Not to mention, Uber is illegal in many locations.
post #113 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Not to mention, Uber is illegal in many locations.

Here you are required to get your own Business License to become a UBER driver. Which I believe makes it legal.
post #114 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPowered View Post

Here you are required to get your own Business License to become a UBER driver. Which I believe makes it legal.

I don't know where "here" is.




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Uber's_service
Edited by 47 Knucklehead - 10/5/15 at 5:11am
post #115 of 136
Off topic, but no Uber allowed in Las Vegas. They wouldn't want to harm their Taxi ability of charging $14 per mile.

/tiny rant
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 136
Best thread ever?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Just a note on bad analogies: Apple and Microsoft stores (or Burger King or McDonalds) are not equivalent to Amazon in that they only sell one brand and specialize in a market while Amazon sells many brands and deals with many markets (and allows non-Amazon vendors to open storefronts).

Amazon might be analogous to Best Buy or Walmart, in that they both sell many different kinds of products from many different manufacturers, but they might not be because they also allow other competitors to sell there.

However, they are unlike eBay, who does not warehouse a lot of products for revenue. They are also not like a mall, which does not directly profit from the sale of goods as much as renting space to vendors.

Amazon = ???
finally quiet
(20 items)
 
Peggy
(11 items)
 
Betty - WIP
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 3.8 + turbo MSI P55-GD80 MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition 16GB Tactical LP 1600 c8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB OCZ Agility 60GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Noctua NH-U12P SE2 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2x NF-P12, CPU OS X 10.10, 8.1 Ultimate Asus VW246H Ergotron Neo-Flex 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quick Fire Rapid EVGA Supernova G2 850W Silverstone FT-02W CM Spawn 
AudioAudioAudio
Sony TA-AX380 Sennheiser HD 280 KLH 911B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 GA-H61N USB3 HD3000 8GB Samsung Miracle RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston 60GB 3ware/LSI 9750-4i Hitachi 5k3000 2TB x4 RAID 5 Intel for now 
OSPowerCase
OS X 10.8.2 Corsiar CX430M Fractal Design Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2100 ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM ASUS Passive GT 440 4GB Dominator 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Hitachi 120GB 2.5" LG BR-RW CM GeminII S + NF-P12 2x NF-R8 - Intake 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NF-B9 Windows 7 Sony KDL-46NX700 MK700 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec EA-650 Zalman HD160XT, Modded MK700 Yamaha RX-V373 
  hide details  
Reply
finally quiet
(20 items)
 
Peggy
(11 items)
 
Betty - WIP
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 3.8 + turbo MSI P55-GD80 MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition 16GB Tactical LP 1600 c8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB OCZ Agility 60GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Noctua NH-U12P SE2 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2x NF-P12, CPU OS X 10.10, 8.1 Ultimate Asus VW246H Ergotron Neo-Flex 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quick Fire Rapid EVGA Supernova G2 850W Silverstone FT-02W CM Spawn 
AudioAudioAudio
Sony TA-AX380 Sennheiser HD 280 KLH 911B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 GA-H61N USB3 HD3000 8GB Samsung Miracle RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston 60GB 3ware/LSI 9750-4i Hitachi 5k3000 2TB x4 RAID 5 Intel for now 
OSPowerCase
OS X 10.8.2 Corsiar CX430M Fractal Design Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2100 ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM ASUS Passive GT 440 4GB Dominator 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Hitachi 120GB 2.5" LG BR-RW CM GeminII S + NF-P12 2x NF-R8 - Intake 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NF-B9 Windows 7 Sony KDL-46NX700 MK700 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec EA-650 Zalman HD160XT, Modded MK700 Yamaha RX-V373 
  hide details  
Reply
post #117 of 136
This wouldn't bother me except for their logical inconsistency. They should halt iPad sales too.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Biostar X370GTN MSI GTX 1070 Quick Silver OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Cryorig C7 ASUS VG278HV Unicomp Classic 104 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 DAN CASE A4-SFX Zowie EC1-A White Icemat 2nd Edition White 
Audio
Audioengine A5+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Biostar X370GTN MSI GTX 1070 Quick Silver OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Cryorig C7 ASUS VG278HV Unicomp Classic 104 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 DAN CASE A4-SFX Zowie EC1-A White Icemat 2nd Edition White 
Audio
Audioengine A5+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 136
Is this good or bad for the consumer. If it's good, then allow it. If it's bad then disallow it. Amazon isn't a person, they don't have any rights, they have privileges. If the people decide they shouldn't be allowed to selectively disallow certain products then so be it.

There is no need to be "fair", they're a corporation, not a person.

Personally... Amazon is such a sales juggernaut I don't think they should be allowed to dictate the market like this. They have too much influence to be allowed to use that influence to hurt other vendors. We should be keeping an eye on their merging of a sales storefront for other vendors with their own product sales with an eye to forcing them to split off their physical products into a separate company from the online store. Let amazons physical products all compete fairly in the market without amazons massive sales muscle being used to dominate other, perhaps superior products.

But then that would buck the trend of allowing the mega corps to grow into behemoths that are too big to fail and who stifle all competition and drive up prices while lowering consumer choices and ending any and all innovation. So I guess the bought politicians won't do a thing.
post #119 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

Is this good or bad for the consumer. If it's good, then allow it. If it's bad then disallow it. Amazon isn't a person, they don't have any rights, they have privileges. If the people decide they shouldn't be allowed to selectively disallow certain products then so be it.

There is no need to be "fair", they're a corporation, not a person.

Personally... Amazon is such a sales juggernaut I don't think they should be allowed to dictate the market like this. They have too much influence to be allowed to use that influence to hurt other vendors. We should be keeping an eye on their merging of a sales storefront for other vendors with their own product sales with an eye to forcing them to split off their physical products into a separate company from the online store. Let amazons physical products all compete fairly in the market without amazons massive sales muscle being used to dominate other, perhaps superior products.

But then that would buck the trend of allowing the mega corps to grow into behemoths that are too big to fail and who stifle all competition and drive up prices while lowering consumer choices and ending any and all innovation. So I guess the bought politicians won't do a thing.

Nutshell. Thread over as far as I am concerned.

But since I got called out earlier I must progress.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/11/how-amazon-became-santa-s-sweatshop.html
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #120 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

Best thread ever?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Just a note on bad analogies: Apple and Microsoft stores (or Burger King or McDonalds) are not equivalent to Amazon in that they only sell one brand and specialize in a market while Amazon sells many brands and deals with many markets (and allows non-Amazon vendors to open storefronts).

Amazon might be analogous to Best Buy or Walmart, in that they both sell many different kinds of products from many different manufacturers, but they might not be because they also allow other competitors to sell there.

However, they are unlike eBay, who does not warehouse a lot of products for revenue. They are also not like a mall, which does not directly profit from the sale of goods as much as renting space to vendors.

Amazon = ???

Its only a bad analogy if you want it to be. If you think about it its a fair analogy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TNW] Amazon sets a worrisome precedent by halting Chromecast and Apple TV sales