Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Network Hardware › TP-Link vs Asus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TP-Link vs Asus

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Which brand is better for wireless router ?
for asus i heard RT-AC66U is probably the best for its range.
im looking about 180-200$ budget for router.
and a good pci-e adapter to go with it.
any recommendation thanks
post #2 of 40
TP-Link has made some really nice stuff lately - often matching competitor's models for significantly lower prices.

That said, they also have a lot of junk older products in their catalog that you need to be wary of.

For your budget, there are currently a whole lot of really great options that will be more than enough for most users. Without knowing more about what you are looking for, it is hard to recommend anything precisely, but I wouldn't shy away from a well-reviewed unit from either brand.

As for a pci-e adapter, I can't recommend anything as I haven't had any use for wireless in a desktop for nearly 10 years now. What I do know is that you absolutely do not want your antennas just sticking out the back of your PCI card (or worse yet, no antennas at all) as your metal chassis will do an amazing job blocking your transmissions and giving you some lovely double digits packet loss. Look for something that either has a long extension on the antennas, or better yet standard removable antenna connectors so that you can replace them yourself with something appropriate for your particular setup.
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

TP-Link has made some really nice stuff lately - often matching competitor's models for significantly lower prices.

That said, they also have a lot of junk older products in their catalog that you need to be wary of.

For your budget, there are currently a whole lot of really great options that will be more than enough for most users. Without knowing more about what you are looking for, it is hard to recommend anything precisely, but I wouldn't shy away from a well-reviewed unit from either brand.

As for a pci-e adapter, I can't recommend anything as I haven't had any use for wireless in a desktop for nearly 10 years now. What I do know is that you absolutely do not want your antennas just sticking out the back of your PCI card (or worse yet, no antennas at all) as your metal chassis will do an amazing job blocking your transmissions and giving you some lovely double digits packet loss. Look for something that either has a long extension on the antennas, or better yet standard removable antenna connectors so that you can replace them yourself with something appropriate for your particular setup.
PCE-AC68 will this pci-e from asus have long extensions antennas ? or removable ?
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk View Post

PCE-AC68 will this pci-e from asus have long extensions antennas ? or removable ?

Yes, that particular card uses an antenna array that is not only removable, but is also seated on an extension cord. You should be able to find a nice place to seat the array that won't be blocked by anything. In the event you need higher gain antennas or a longer distance cord, you can add those yourself.

BTW, the PCE-AC68 is the newer, faster, and more universally compatible version of the PCE-AC66. They both cost about the same, so if I were to get one or the other, I'd grab the AC68.
Edited by Zero4549 - 10/4/15 at 12:31am
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Yes, that particular card uses an antenna array that is not only removable, but is also seated on an extension cord. You should be able to find a nice place to seat the array that won't be blocked by anything. In the event you need higher gain antennas or a longer distance cord, you can add those yourself.

BTW, the PCE-AC68 is the newer, faster, and more universally compatible version of the PCE-AC66. They both cost about the same, so if I were to get one or the other, I'd grab the AC68.
thank you for that price range of PCE AC-68. do u recommend any TP link within that price range that could be better ? or asus pce-ac-68 is already the best at its price range ?
post #6 of 40
I have RT-AC66U but I don't use it for WiFi that much...

Here you can see how it looks "inside" (the GUI software) and what options/it can do.

http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_OperationMode_Content.html

I must say I'm not that happy with my WiFi performance... but it depends from situation to situation... (concrete wall in between, computer chassis in between etc)

But then again I'm a real networking NOOB! I guess if you set it up correct it will perform awesome tongue.gif

But as said, I use cable, not WiFi

EDIT: look at Merlin Tower for router updates wink.gif
   
Main Laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 3.4GHz @ 5.2GHz ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (B3) SLi ASUS GTX780Ti DC2OC 16GB (4x 4GB) Vengeance 1866MHz @ 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
C: Crucial MX200 250GB D: Caviar Black 2TB E: Spinpoint 750GB F: Raptor 150GB (Ubuntu 12.04 Dual Boot) 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS BD Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair 1kW Antec 1200 Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D Logitech Z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 (2.6GHz to 3.8GHz) ASUS 780i Striker II Formula ASUS GTX 470 8Gb (4x2Gb) Dominators 1066MHz DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial M4 256GB D: 1x Raptor 150Gb & E: + F... ASUS DVD + DVD(RW) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ASUS 26" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 750W Antec 300 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D ASUS Cine5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 something something ASUS N750JV nVidia 750M 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial MX200 mSATA 250GB + D: WD 1TB 5k4 E:... DVD-RAM DL C: Windows 7 64-bit, E: Linux Elementary OS Luna 17" 1080p 
Mouse
ASUS Optical USB 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Main Laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 3.4GHz @ 5.2GHz ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (B3) SLi ASUS GTX780Ti DC2OC 16GB (4x 4GB) Vengeance 1866MHz @ 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
C: Crucial MX200 250GB D: Caviar Black 2TB E: Spinpoint 750GB F: Raptor 150GB (Ubuntu 12.04 Dual Boot) 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS BD Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair 1kW Antec 1200 Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D Logitech Z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 (2.6GHz to 3.8GHz) ASUS 780i Striker II Formula ASUS GTX 470 8Gb (4x2Gb) Dominators 1066MHz DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial M4 256GB D: 1x Raptor 150Gb & E: + F... ASUS DVD + DVD(RW) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ASUS 26" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 750W Antec 300 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D ASUS Cine5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 something something ASUS N750JV nVidia 750M 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial MX200 mSATA 250GB + D: WD 1TB 5k4 E:... DVD-RAM DL C: Windows 7 64-bit, E: Linux Elementary OS Luna 17" 1080p 
Mouse
ASUS Optical USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk View Post

thank you for that price range of PCE AC-68. do u recommend any TP link within that price range that could be better ? or asus pce-ac-68 is already the best at its price range ?

In the same price range as the AC-A8 you have the TP-LINK Archer T8E and T9E.

The T9E is TP-Link's direct competitor to the AC-68, but it costs a few bucks more (at least in my area), and has short, albeit removable, antennas which I would want to replace with something I could position farther away from the system. I am not aware of any distinct advantage of the T9E, but like I said I've been out of the loop on wireless adapters so perhaps someone else might have a reason to recommend it. Personally from what I can see, I'd get the ASUS instead of this one.

The T8E is a older, slower model ,similar to ASUS's AC-66. Like the T9E, it has the same antenna situation that I would personally recommend replacing. Unlike the T9E however, it does seem to have a couple nice advantages over its competitor the AC-66. First off, it costs significantly less, and secondly it has less known compatibility issues with modern systems. I'd pick this over the AC-66. Whether I'd pick it over the AC-68 would depend on how important the extra speed of the AC-68 would be to my usage. If you are just looking for a reliable internet connection, you could probably save some money, grab the T9E, and not notice any difference. If you need that extra speed for local network file transfers or streaming or something, then grab the AC-68.
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak View Post

I have RT-AC66U but I don't use it for WiFi that much...

Here you can see how it looks "inside" (the GUI software) and what options/it can do.

http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_OperationMode_Content.html

I must say I'm not that happy with my WiFi performance... but it depends from situation to situation... (concrete wall in between, computer chassis in between etc)

But then again I'm a real networking NOOB! I guess if you set it up correct it will perform awesome tongue.gif

But as said, I use cable, not WiFi

EDIT: look at Merlin Tower for router updates wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

In the same price range as the AC-A8 you have the TP-LINK Archer T8E and T9E.

The T9E is TP-Link's direct competitor to the AC-68, but it costs a few bucks more (at least in my area), and has short, albeit removable, antennas which I would want to replace with something I could position farther away from the system. I am not aware of any distinct advantage of the T9E, but like I said I've been out of the loop on wireless adapters so perhaps someone else might have a reason to recommend it. Personally from what I can see, I'd get the ASUS instead of this one.

The T8E is a older, slower model ,similar to ASUS's AC-66. Like the T9E, it has the same antenna situation that I would personally recommend replacing. Unlike the T9E however, it does seem to have a couple nice advantages over its competitor the AC-66. First off, it costs significantly less, and secondly it has less known compatibility issues with modern systems. I'd pick this over the AC-66. Whether I'd pick it over the AC-68 would depend on how important the extra speed of the AC-68 would be to my usage. If you are just looking for a reliable internet connection, you could probably save some money, grab the T9E, and not notice any difference. If you need that extra speed for local network file transfers or streaming or something, then grab the AC-68.
hi i went to the shop looking for asus . whats the difference with RT-AC68U and DSL-68U
https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/
and is TP-Link D9 as good as the AC68U version by asus ?
post #9 of 40

If you're buying a router today, get the Netgear R7000. Not only is it the best performing AC1900 router, it's the best value and has been for over 2 years now.

 

As you can see in the charts below, it performs quite a bit better than the RT-AC68U.

 

 

Take a look around SNB, it's a great site for this sort of thing. Here's the router charts and R7000 review.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

 

I'd advise putting DD-WRT on it, gives you more access to what the hardware has to offer.

 

As for PCI Wi-Fi adapter. The TP-Link Archer T9E would be my vote, I have one myself. It's exactly the same performance wise as the Asus PCE-AC68 but it has as black PCB and heatsink. It's also quite a bit cheaper in the UK but that may vary for you depending on location. Antennas are always swappable.

Define
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.3GHz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX 6GB @ 1500MHz 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 @ 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB Noctua NH-U14S 3x Noctua NF-A14 FLX 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Ducky Shine 3 Year of the Snake (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W Fractal Design Define R5 Black Mionix Naos 7000 SteelSeries QcK 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Parasound Zdac TP-LINK Archer T9E  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 @ 3GHz Matrox G200eH2 4x8GB Kingston Dual Rank ECC DDR4 @ 2133MHz 2x Samsung PM863 120GB in RAID1 
Hard DriveOS
6x WD Red 3TB in RAID6 ESXi 6.5 
  hide details  
Reply
Define
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.3GHz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX 6GB @ 1500MHz 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 @ 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB Noctua NH-U14S 3x Noctua NF-A14 FLX 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Ducky Shine 3 Year of the Snake (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W Fractal Design Define R5 Black Mionix Naos 7000 SteelSeries QcK 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Parasound Zdac TP-LINK Archer T9E  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 @ 3GHz Matrox G200eH2 4x8GB Kingston Dual Rank ECC DDR4 @ 2133MHz 2x Samsung PM863 120GB in RAID1 
Hard DriveOS
6x WD Red 3TB in RAID6 ESXi 6.5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

If you're buying a router today, get the Netgear R7000. Not only is it the best performing AC1900 router, it's the best value and has been for over 2 years now.

As you can see in the charts below, it performs quite a bit better than the RT-AC68U.






Take a look around SNB, it's a great site for this sort of thing. Here's the router charts and R7000 review.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

I'd advise putting DD-WRT on it, gives you more access to what the hardware has to offer.

As for PCI Wi-Fi adapter. The TP-Link Archer T9E would be my vote, I have one myself. It's exactly the same performance wise as the Asus PCE-AC68 but it has as black PCB and heatsink. It's also quite a bit cheaper in the UK but that may vary for you depending on location. Antennas are always swappable.
is it worth trying the netgear ? i heard good reviews about Asus , TP link but never really hear much about netgear. one website is it able to justify.
sorry i dont mean to be rude or anything. but im just trying to understand smile.gif hope you dont mind me asking.
and of course i grealy appreciate your post and link. smile.gif your website helps alot thanks ! but may i know your opinion ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Network Hardware
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Network Hardware › TP-Link vs Asus