Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Can you recomend some good portable web browsers for Linux?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you recomend some good portable web browsers for Linux?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for one or two good portable browsers.

I need another browser for doing work with so I want a browser with a different ID to my regular Firefox browser. I don't want it storing cookies in and sharing history with my main FF browser. I just like to keep them separated.

Something from devs with good ethics would be be good as privacy and security matter to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks thumb.gif
Edited by ET900 - 10/9/15 at 3:39am
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

I'm using KXStudio (which uses KDE) and I want a couple of good portable web browsers. I'm not looking for something that connects through proxies by default like TOR. But I do want something that comes from devs with good ethics as privacy and security are primary concerns. So, Chromium based browsers are probably out of the question as I'm not a fan of google and I don't want anything that they've had their fingers in. It would be good to be able to customise the browser with privacy addons, so I'm thinking that something based on Firefox would be good as long as it is properly portable and doesn't interfere with my standard Firefox browser (I want to be able to run both at the same time without them having any affect on eachother).

You can suggest non-portable browsers if they're really something worth looking at (I was thinking of installing Midori), but I would prefer something portable.

Thanks guys smile.gif

Iceweasel from debian or Icecat browser for the best ethics, but it can be annoying to use with the add-ons it comes packaged with. Either might interfere with things, but maybe you can match the versions up and create a new profile for that usage. Midori is another alternative but lacking full ssl capability at the moment. It can be fixed however if you're happy to compile your own packages, see http://midori-browser.org/faqs/
post #3 of 22
Iceweasel would make a good replacement for firefox if you're happy to consider a full replacement and using just one browser. There may well be a way around the problem of using the same configuration path too, so you should have a look into that.

Sorry about the double-post, don't know what happened with it.
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by etplayer View Post

Iceweasel from debian or Icecat browser for the best ethics, but it can be annoying to use with the add-ons it comes packaged with. Either might interfere with things, but maybe you can match the versions up and create a new profile for that usage. Midori is another alternative but lacking full ssl capability at the moment. It can be fixed however if you're happy to compile your own packages, see http://midori-browser.org/faqs/
Quote:
Originally Posted by etplayer View Post

Iceweasel would make a good replacement for firefox if you're happy to consider a full replacement and using just one browser. There may well be a way around the problem of using the same configuration path too, so you should have a look into that.

Sorry about the double-post, don't know what happened with it.

Ice weasel is Firefox. It's just Debians renamed version due to copyright/ licensing issues with the name/logo. It's no different other than the base name, it still stores everything the same as firefox and would run a conflict in that sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project

There's no "ethics" to be thrown into the mix on that one. That's a Debian issue since they don't want to redistribute a copyright/trademark that isn't open source. It has nothing to do with the ethics of the browser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

I'm using KXStudio (which uses KDE) and I want a couple of good portable web browsers. I'm not looking for something that connects through proxies by default like TOR. But I do want something that comes from devs with good ethics as privacy and security are primary concerns.

Portable browsers don't do anything different than non-portable browsers in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

So, Chromium based browsers are probably out of the question as I'm not a fan of google and I don't want anything that they've had their fingers in.

Get off the Internet then. Google has their fingers in everything. Not only on the Internet but Google has contributed TONS to Linux itself. Also, Chromium is the OPEN SOURCE browser before Google adds all their proprietary stuff ( Which then it is released as Chrome ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

It would be good to be able to customise the browser with privacy addons, so I'm thinking that something based on Firefox would be good as long as it is properly portable and doesn't interfere with my standard Firefox browser (I want to be able to run both at the same time without them having any affect on eachother).

Setup a second Firefox profile, and a launcher to start Firefox with that profile. It'd make your life a lot easier. Neither would talk to each other and you would achieve the same goal. You could even make the launcher start that session in privacy mode so that it remembers nothing.

When it comes to add ons though, you don't have many options. And if you want decent add ons it really comes down to Firefox or Chrom(e/ium).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

You can suggest non-portable browsers if they're really something worth looking at (I was thinking of installing Midori), but I would prefer something portable.

I don't think you want "portable" in the sense that you do.
Edited by Shrak - 10/6/15 at 9:24am
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post


Ice weasel is Firefox. It's just Debians renamed version due to copyright/ licensing issues with the name/logo. It's no different other than the base name, it still stores everything the same as firefox and would run a conflict in that sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project

There's no "ethics" to be thrown into the mix on that one. That's a Debian issue since they don't want to redistribute a copyright/trademark that isn't open source. It has nothing to do with the ethics of the browser.

It's also DRM free.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by etplayer View Post

It's also DRM free.

And yet neither my Arch, Fedora or Ubuntu Firefoxs have CDM or EME enabled ( or even included for that matter ), nor any other DRM. Not the default ones in the repository, and not my nightly releases either.

rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 22
if you want portable and ethical just download the source code for a browser and compile a static build thumb.gif
Black & Green
(12 items)
 
Dev Box
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core2 Duo E7400 Asus P5Q Hyper-X  Sandisk 
OSPower
Fedora 22 Thermaltake 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Black & Green
(12 items)
 
Dev Box
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core2 Duo E7400 Asus P5Q Hyper-X  Sandisk 
OSPower
Fedora 22 Thermaltake 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

And yet neither my Arch, Fedora or Ubuntu Firefoxs have CDM or EME enabled ( or even included for that matter ), nor any other DRM. Not the default ones in the repository, and not my nightly releases either.

rolleyes.gif

Wether or not the distros you use have the feature that allows the enabling of drm protected content in firefox or not is irrelevant to the discussion, if you wanna get all elitist about it you'll have to find someone else to argue with. I just recommended what I know, which is what the OP asked for.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by etplayer View Post

Wether or not the distros you use have the feature that allows the enabling of drm protected content in firefox or not is irrelevant to the discussion, if you wanna get all elitist about it you'll have to find someone else to argue with. I just recommended what I know, which is what the OP asked for.

It has nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with facts.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

It has nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with facts.

If it's about facts then you're wrong. Firefox was rebranded in debian due to being a different browser. Debian maintains feature patches for some software they have in their repository along with bugfixes, as they don't track upstream versions. This includes Firefox and that's what the mozilla foundation took issue with and why debian were forced to change the branding.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Can you recomend some good portable web browsers for Linux?