Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon II x4 vs Phenom II x4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Athlon II x4 vs Phenom II x4 - Page 3

post #21 of 47
i only have an Asus 880 mobo that i bought here from a member for $60 three years ago. Not bad. it can handle 4GHz on my phenom 7/24. 4.5GHz for benching.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

i only have an Asus 880 mobo that i bought here from a member for $60 three years ago. Not bad. it can handle 4GHz on my phenom 7/24. 4.5GHz for benching.
I can't seem to find many of those. I know the 880G is essentially the same thing as the 980G series.

I'm basing my selection off of this chart: http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database/0_100
I'm only considering motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI that have 8+2 phases and 140w support. Unfortunately, that's hard to get under $100. THis is the best I can do WITH EBAY keeping those high standards. Mind you, if you can exactly GA-970A-UD3 anywhere else you'll probably be able to get it cheaper. Don't get one with a similar sounding name because you'll end up getting 6+2 or 4+1 phase garbage.

$66.55 GA-970A-UD3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Motherboard-Socket-AM3-GA-970A-UD3-/111790718616?hash=item1a073efe98
Honestly though, if I were you I'd take that deal right now. You won't find a more capable motherboard for less. Worry about finding a deal on a 965 or 960T later. thumb.gif

The only thing not from Gigabyte that comes close in performance is the MSI-990FXA-GD65-V2, but it's $99. If you're willing to spend $99 then you're willing to spend $125 on the CVF.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-990FXA-GD65-V2-Socket-AM3-AMD-990FX-DDR3-CrossFireX-SLI-openbox-/201349201151?hash=item2ee158fcff This one is in no mans land.

Well, that's all the searching I feel like doing for tonight. I'm about to rip my CVFZ and FX-6350 apart for good. They're being replaced with a Z77 Sabertooth and 3570k. And to be entirely honest... good riddance! ~To the FX-6350.
Edited by cookieboyeli - 10/6/15 at 11:52pm
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

I can't seem to find many of those. I know the 880G is essentially the same thing as the 980G series.

I'm basing my selection off of this chart: http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database/0_100
I'm only considering motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI that have 8+2 phases and 140w support. Unfortunately, that's hard to get under $100. THis is the best I can do WITH EBAY keeping those high standards. Mind you, if you can exactly GA-970A-UD3 anywhere else you'll probably be able to get it cheaper. Don't get one with a similar sounding name because you'll end up getting 6+2 or 4+1 phase garbage.

$66.55 GA-970A-UD3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Motherboard-Socket-AM3-GA-970A-UD3-/111790718616?hash=item1a073efe98
Honestly though, if I were you I'd take that deal right now. You won't find a more capable motherboard for less. Worry about finding a deal on a 965 or 960T later. thumb.gif

The only thing not from Gigabyte that comes close in performance is the MSI-990FXA-GD65-V2, but it's $99. If you're willing to spend $99 then you're willing to spend $125 on the CVF.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-990FXA-GD65-V2-Socket-AM3-AMD-990FX-DDR3-CrossFireX-SLI-openbox-/201349201151?hash=item2ee158fcff This one is in no mans land.

Well, that's all the searching I feel like doing for tonight. I'm about to rip my CVFZ and FX-6350 apart for good. They're being replaced with a Z77 Sabertooth and 3570k. And to be entirely honest... good riddance! ~To the FX-6350.

get a used i7 2700K.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

I can't seem to find many of those. I know the 880G is essentially the same thing as the 980G series.

I'm basing my selection off of this chart: http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database/0_100
I'm only considering motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI that have 8+2 phases and 140w support. Unfortunately, that's hard to get under $100. THis is the best I can do WITH EBAY keeping those high standards. Mind you, if you can exactly GA-970A-UD3 anywhere else you'll probably be able to get it cheaper. Don't get one with a similar sounding name because you'll end up getting 6+2 or 4+1 phase garbage.

$66.55 GA-970A-UD3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Motherboard-Socket-AM3-GA-970A-UD3-/111790718616?hash=item1a073efe98
Honestly though, if I were you I'd take that deal right now. You won't find a more capable motherboard for less. Worry about finding a deal on a 965 or 960T later. thumb.gif

The only thing not from Gigabyte that comes close in performance is the MSI-990FXA-GD65-V2, but it's $99. If you're willing to spend $99 then you're willing to spend $125 on the CVF.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-990FXA-GD65-V2-Socket-AM3-AMD-990FX-DDR3-CrossFireX-SLI-openbox-/201349201151?hash=item2ee158fcff This one is in no mans land.

Well, that's all the searching I feel like doing for tonight. I'm about to rip my CVFZ and FX-6350 apart for good. They're being replaced with a Z77 Sabertooth and 3570k. And to be entirely honest... good riddance! ~To the FX-6350.

get a used i7 2700K.

Ahh but then you don't get USB 3.0 or PCI-e 3.0. PCI-e 2.0 is no big deal, but USB 2.0 is the absolute worst thing ever. Do you like waiting 7 minutes to transfer some stupid 200mb file? I don't What if you have to transfer 8gigs? HAHAHA loser! Come back in 3 hours! Unless you get a PCI-e add in card that's a deal breaker. BUT the Inspiron case most certainly does not have 3.0 ports in it, so you'd need to get a hub to sit on top of your case anyway... Hmmm. It's worth a shot. Like I said you can sell what you've got. It's really not worth investing as much as you'd need to invest in it to make it usable. You can get a SB CPU MB and some ram for under $250 easy. Check out reddit.com/r/hardwareswap all your dreams will come true.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

Ahh but then you don't get USB 3.0 or PCI-e 3.0. PCI-e 2.0 is no big deal, but USB 2.0 is the absolute worst thing ever. Do you like waiting 7 minutes to transfer some stupid 200mb file? I don't What if you have to transfer 8gigs? HAHAHA loser! Come back in 3 hours! Unless you get a PCI-e add in card that's a deal breaker. BUT the Inspiron case most certainly does not have 3.0 ports in it, so you'd need to get a hub to sit on top of your case anyway... Hmmm. It's worth a shot. Like I said you can sell what you've got. It's really not worth investing as much as you'd need to invest in it to make it usable. You can get a SB CPU MB and some ram for under $250 easy. Check out reddit.com/r/hardwareswap all your dreams will come true.

not to go too far from the topic of the op and i apologize . . . you saw what happened from 4 core to six cores in BF3. i have a cheap Biostar Z77 and it has USB 3.0. no gpu to date can saturate even PCIe 2.0 me thinks.

single 290 . . .




Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

I figured if I downgraded the GPU I could actually get a smoother experience, so I tried a 270X. BIG mistake, this bottlenecked SO BAD it was actually impressive.

I can't even fathom what the thought process would be here to believe that downgrading the GPU would get better fps?
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureParadox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

I figured if I downgraded the GPU I could actually get a smoother experience, so I tried a 270X. BIG mistake, this bottlenecked SO BAD it was actually impressive.

I can't even fathom what the thought process would be here to believe that downgrading the GPU would get better fps?
Hahaha yea I knew someone would call me out on that. The idea wasn't to get better FPS but to get higher minimums. At 99% CPU usage nothing is smooth. You can have 180fps average but it's going to be dropping below 30 frequently. The idea was to sacrifice average fps to gain minimum fps and try to reduce stuttering.
It was really, really bad though. Any weather effects sent FPS crashing down below 30fps and stuttering worse than an epileptic on meth! I was willing to try anything. Seriously, going RDS in BF4 with a 270X made a lag spike of 10fps every single time. Damnit AMD! Do better!
post #28 of 47
But the minimums would be the same regardless since you're CPU limited at that point. Effectively a stronger GPU is not going to put more strain on your CPU, that's just down to the game itself and the drivers.
post #29 of 47
I ran a c2 955 @ 3.8 and xfired 5850's for years. Dropped the OC back to stock 3.2 a couple years ago and eventually upgraded the 5850's to 280x. I played mostly Skyrim, FO3 with mods, Civ5, Rome total war 2, Wolfenstein TNO etc. All at 1900x1200 with high settings or better. Not because I couldn't upgrade but mostly because I didn't feel the need and AMD's offerings I found less than intriguing.

What I'm trying to say is, just slap a 965 in your board paired with a good to great graphics card and see what you can do. Leave all the bottleneck worries and other minutia aside and game until you can do a proper comprehensive upgrade.
RED STORM
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T MA790FXT-UD5P Power Color 280X GSkill Ripjaws X 4gbx4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640 Sony CD/DVD Win7 Ult Asus 25.5 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Merc Stealth Raptor 1100 CM In-Win Maelstrom Corsair M60 
Mouse Pad
plastic cutting board 
  hide details  
Reply
RED STORM
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1090T MA790FXT-UD5P Power Color 280X GSkill Ripjaws X 4gbx4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640 Sony CD/DVD Win7 Ult Asus 25.5 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Merc Stealth Raptor 1100 CM In-Win Maelstrom Corsair M60 
Mouse Pad
plastic cutting board 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLDEER View Post

I ran a c2 955 @ 3.8 and xfired 5850's for years. Dropped the OC back to stock 3.2 a couple years ago and eventually upgraded the 5850's to 280x. I played mostly Skyrim, FO3 with mods, Civ5, Rome total war 2, Wolfenstein TNO etc. All at 1900x1200 with high settings or better. Not because I couldn't upgrade but mostly because I didn't feel the need and AMD's offerings I found less than intriguing.

What I'm trying to say is, just slap a 965 in your board paired with a good to great graphics card and see what you can do. Leave all the bottleneck worries and other minutia aside and game until you can do a proper comprehensive upgrade.

I approve of this comment. thumb.gif

It's the best advice I've seen in this thread since it's creation...
 
ThinkPad Yoga
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Baytrail Quad Core @ 2.16 Ghz OEM Lenovo 20DAS02X00 Intel HD Graphics 8GB DDR3L 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
240GB Kingston SSD N/A Windows 8.1 Pro 11.6" IPS Touch Display @ 1366 x 768 
KeyboardAudio
ThinkPad baby... HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ThinkPad Yoga
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Baytrail Quad Core @ 2.16 Ghz OEM Lenovo 20DAS02X00 Intel HD Graphics 8GB DDR3L 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
240GB Kingston SSD N/A Windows 8.1 Pro 11.6" IPS Touch Display @ 1366 x 768 
KeyboardAudio
ThinkPad baby... HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon II x4 vs Phenom II x4