Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PCGH] GPU performance index 2015: 16 Radeon and Geforce models in benchmark comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCGH] GPU performance index 2015: 16 Radeon and Geforce models in benchmark comparison - Page 17

post #161 of 165
All this talk about Async compute by Mahigan and others. it's just ridiculous at this point.

First it was 3dmarks API bench, omg AMD is killing Nvidia in draw calls!! Wait till the games come guys!

Then the Ashes bench comes and AMD sees a huge jump and they say it's cuz the Async shaders... then later when Nvidia is either tied or beating them, they say 'bu bu but the game only uses 5% async guys' AMD's performance is coming when more Async shaders will be used, just WAIT! There's nothing Nvidia can do with the drivers..

Then people are waiting for the Fable Legends Benchmark to be released. It releases and low and behold Nvidia is right up there with AMD and beating them in many cases. And they say.. yeah well it's not using Async shaders guys... Nvidia is still doing things the old way with hacks. Just wait till Deus Ex benchmark releases, it will use tons of Async and AMD will destroy Nvidia! WATCH FOR IT!

Then Deus Ex comes...


I'm damn near close to saying that async compute means nothing to DX12 so far since none of the games being designed for DX12 are being confirmed as being async heavy. By the time any of it happens than Nvidia will have already taken care of any short comings and AMD will be back to square one.
My main PC
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene Nvidia GTX 1080Ti G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Samsung 850 EVO  Windows 10 Razer Blackwidow Chroma EVGA Supernova 1300w 
  hide details  
Reply
My main PC
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene Nvidia GTX 1080Ti G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Samsung 850 EVO  Windows 10 Razer Blackwidow Chroma EVGA Supernova 1300w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #162 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remij View Post

Then people are waiting for the Fable Legends Benchmark to be released. It releases and low and behold Nvidia is right up there with AMD and beating them in many cases. And they say.. yeah well it's not using Async shaders guys... Nvidia is still doing things the old way with hacks. Just wait till Deus Ex benchmark releases, it will use tons of Async and AMD will destroy Nvidia! WATCH FOR IT!

980TI is the only NVIDIA card on par with AMD on DX12 from what we have seen in different game benchmarks. 980TI is a beast, raw power. Get any lower tier than 980TI and AMD wins thumb.gif

980TI is like 1% of the market...



980 fall short
970 fall short
and every other card from NVIDIA fall short at same price point, besides 980TI.

Not really sure where you getting "NVIDIA beating AMD in many cases in DX12".

You make it seem like 980TI is the only card NVIDIA has...
Edited by ImJJames - 10/21/15 at 4:07pm
My Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k @ 4.1Ghz  Asus z87-Plus XFX Double D r9 290X G Skill Sniper 8GB @ 2133 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 10 Pro 27 Inch 1440P PLS @ 110Hz Mechanical Keyboard MX Red Steelseries Kana 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Mouse pad Samson SR850 Headphones/Asus Xonar Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k @ 4.1Ghz  Asus z87-Plus XFX Double D r9 290X G Skill Sniper 8GB @ 2133 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 10 Pro 27 Inch 1440P PLS @ 110Hz Mechanical Keyboard MX Red Steelseries Kana 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Mouse pad Samson SR850 Headphones/Asus Xonar Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #163 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJJames View Post

980TI is the only NVIDIA card on par with AMD on DX12 from what we have seen in different game benchmarks. 980TI is a beast, raw power. Get any lower tier than 980TI and AMD wins thumb.gif

980TI is like 1% of the market...



980 fall short
970 fall short
and every other card from NVIDIA fall short at same price point, besides 980TI.

Not really sure where you getting "NVIDIA beating AMD in many cases in DX12".

You make it seem like 980TI is the only card NVIDIA has...

I'm under NDA. Can't talk about it just yet thumb.gif
My main PC
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene Nvidia GTX 1080Ti G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Samsung 850 EVO  Windows 10 Razer Blackwidow Chroma EVGA Supernova 1300w 
  hide details  
Reply
My main PC
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene Nvidia GTX 1080Ti G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Samsung 850 EVO  Windows 10 Razer Blackwidow Chroma EVGA Supernova 1300w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #164 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Don`t tell me the usual suspects got to your head as well dude.

Maxwell GM200/GM204 doesnt have any issues with DX12. It doesnt perform as well with async compute, but there are other DX12 features that Nvidia does far better than AMD again. Read Anandtech`s test of Fable and see for yourself.

Go check out the updated test of Ashes of the Singularity with the newest drivers from both camps, a game which the AMD fanboys used as an excuse to think the world will collide when DX12 arrives for Nvidia and AMD.
R9 390 got a increase in FPS from 53.4FPS to 54.6PS, +1.2FPS (+2%) with the newest drivers. GTX 970 on the other hand got an increase from 46.8FPS to 50.6FPS which is +3.8FPS (+8%).
That is the game where Async Compute was suppose to play a huge role, yet Nvidia manage to close in the gap tremendously with better drivers.

Stop believing the doom propaganda from these people. Nvidia can do a lot through software optimizations if the hardware isnt capable of doing Async Compute.
Then there will be a lot of games where other aspects of DX12 that Nvidia cards do better that will put the Geforce cards ahead of the Radeon cards. It will all even out in the end anyway,

Yes, yes, Nvidia is greatest video card company ever and nobody else can ever beat them at anything! We've heard your same tired rhetoric before ad nauseam...
post #165 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remij View Post

All this talk about Async compute by Mahigan and others. it's just ridiculous at this point.

First it was 3dmarks API bench, omg AMD is killing Nvidia in draw calls!! Wait till the games come guys!

Then the Ashes bench comes and AMD sees a huge jump and they say it's cuz the Async shaders... then later when Nvidia is either tied or beating them, they say 'bu bu but the game only uses 5% async guys' AMD's performance is coming when more Async shaders will be used, just WAIT! There's nothing Nvidia can do with the drivers..

Then people are waiting for the Fable Legends Benchmark to be released. It releases and low and behold Nvidia is right up there with AMD and beating them in many cases. And they say.. yeah well it's not using Async shaders guys... Nvidia is still doing things the old way with hacks. Just wait till Deus Ex benchmark releases, it will use tons of Async and AMD will destroy Nvidia! WATCH FOR IT!

Then Deus Ex comes...


I'm damn near close to saying that async compute means nothing to DX12 so far since none of the games being designed for DX12 are being confirmed as being async heavy. By the time any of it happens than Nvidia will have already taken care of any short comings and AMD will be back to square one.


AotS not using async compute heavily was known since the oxide dev. made it clear here weeks ago and not when those new benchmarks with new drivers were done. That oxide were using async compute heavily was then mostly being used by those defending nvidia to show that nvidia can still keep up with AMD's best case scenario. Or even that nvidia were sucking because oxide used too much async compute on their cards to cripple their performance just like nvidia's gameworks does with tessellation on AMD's.

Fable is UE4 based, an engine from Epic games who are quite buddy-buddy with nvidia, their dx11 games being overwhelming in nvidia's favor. So AMD getting on par with nvidia in dx12 is a good win.

For the two dx12 benchmarks released, AMD's problem has been Fury X not scaling as well over 390X as 980Ti does over 980. The whole brouhaha over AotS was started due to 390X being in sniffing distance of 980Ti in arstechnica review. If Fury X scaled better, it would have been a comprehensive AMD victory in dx12. Just with driver overhead reductions.

So the 3dmark API test is relevant right now, but not async compute.

As for async compute usage in newer games, it's pretty much a given considering how both consoles do it, PS4's gpu even being custom built for it. But the interesting thing is that while XBOX will go dx12, PS4 will have the async compute advantage. So it's probable that it might not be used heavily to keep the performance about equal between the two.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e2140@3.2Ghz abit IP35-E HIS IceQ4 4850 4GB 667@800 5-5-5-15 
OSPower
win xp 32 bit Corsair 450VX@stock 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e2140@3.2Ghz abit IP35-E HIS IceQ4 4850 4GB 667@800 5-5-5-15 
OSPower
win xp 32 bit Corsair 450VX@stock 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PCGH] GPU performance index 2015: 16 Radeon and Geforce models in benchmark comparison