Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Z170 boards with normal SLI spacing (1 slot in between, not two)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Z170 boards with normal SLI spacing (1 slot in between, not two)?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Anyone have a list of Z170 boards that have normal SLI spacing? Just realized my OC Formula has the stupid spacing...
post #2 of 7
Not sure what you mean exactly. All the Asus Z170 boards I have seen in the ATX form factor, there is a space between. You need a 60mm (long) 2 way SLI Bridge. The EATX boards, well, they have a wider spacing, you need the 80mm 3 way bridge. Your Fancy pants board is different. It's an ATX with the 80mm spacing. Huge advantage, you can actually put something in your M2 slots unlike I who has to use a daughter card.
Boring Black
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-6700K ASUS Z170-DELUXE GTX980TI SC BP EVGA GTX980TI SC BP EVGA 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
GSKILL TRIDENT Z DDR4 3200 INTEL 750 NVME SSD 2.5" INTEL 730 SSD 2.5" NOCTUA NH D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit QNIX 2750 Evolution II Ducky Legend EVGA 1600W Titanium 
CaseMouse
Caselabs S8S SteelSeries Sensi Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
Boring Black
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-6700K ASUS Z170-DELUXE GTX980TI SC BP EVGA GTX980TI SC BP EVGA 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
GSKILL TRIDENT Z DDR4 3200 INTEL 750 NVME SSD 2.5" INTEL 730 SSD 2.5" NOCTUA NH D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit QNIX 2750 Evolution II Ducky Legend EVGA 1600W Titanium 
CaseMouse
Caselabs S8S SteelSeries Sensi Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Put the cards in either 3 or 4 & be done with it. It's an advantage to your board. Cards will stay cooler. 16x & 8x it isn't any difference in speed, maybe 1% if that. That's a terrific board you have. Enjoy!

The ASRock Extreme 7 & EVGA Classified 151 both have one slot spacing & both are beautiful!
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCrowely View Post

Put the cards in either 3 or 4 & be done with it. It's an advantage to your board. Cards will stay cooler. 16x & 8x it isn't any difference in speed, maybe 1% if that. That's a terrific board you have. Enjoy!

The ASRock Extreme 7 & EVGA Classified 151 both have one slot spacing & both are beautiful!

That won't work: 4 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE2/PCIE4/PCIE6: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) /
x8 (PCIE4); triple at x8 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4)); quad at x8 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE4) / x4 (PCIE6))

Even the manual says so :/ But it's OK, going to ditch a card and go back to Linux so not like I'll be playing AAA games that need SLI. Hell, just look @ the back of the motherboard anyway. The 2nd and 4th (What they call PCIE2 and PCIE6) are physically x4 which means it wouldn't work regardless (as Nvidia SLI requires x8 minimum).

Same issue with the Extreme 7 BTW. Requires PCIE2 and PCIE4 which means it has the dual slot (bad) spacing. Even the x16 PCIe between those two is x4 physically (look @ the back). Classy probably would have worked but $400 for EVGA's terrible BIOS... lol
post #5 of 7
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme...pretty pricey though, but I used to have the VI extreme, and it was a pretty awesome board, I imagine the VIII is just as nice.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarkreap3rxx View Post

That won't work: 4 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE2/PCIE4/PCIE6: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) /
x8 (PCIE4); triple at x8 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4)); quad at x8 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE4) / x4 (PCIE6))

Even the manual says so :/ But it's OK, going to ditch a card and go back to Linux so not like I'll be playing AAA games that need SLI. Hell, just look @ the back of the motherboard anyway. The 2nd and 4th (What they call PCIE2 and PCIE6) are physically x4 which means it wouldn't work regardless (as Nvidia SLI requires x8 minimum).

Same issue with the Extreme 7 BTW. Requires PCIE2 and PCIE4 which means it has the dual slot (bad) spacing. Even the x16 PCIe between those two is x4 physically (look @ the back). Classy probably would have worked but $400 for EVGA's terrible BIOS... lol

Oh okay, so the board is only 2-way SLI... Wonder why they changed 4-way SLI on the OC Formula
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCrowely View Post

Oh okay, so the board is only 2-way SLI... Wonder why they changed 4-way SLI on the OC Formula
4-way SLI isn't possible on Z170 without a PLX chip. ONly a handful of very expensive motherboards have one.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i9 7980XE X299E-ITX/ac GTX 1080 Ti FE G.Skill 3800MHz 4x8GB Quad Channel SO-DIMM Kit 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 960 Pro Bitspower AIO/ITX Full Cover Block Win 10 4K 37" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i9 7980XE X299E-ITX/ac GTX 1080 Ti FE G.Skill 3800MHz 4x8GB Quad Channel SO-DIMM Kit 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 960 Pro Bitspower AIO/ITX Full Cover Block Win 10 4K 37" 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Z170 boards with normal SLI spacing (1 slot in between, not two)?