Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Backblaze] - Hard Drive Reliability Stats for Q3 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Backblaze] - Hard Drive Reliability Stats for Q3 2015 - Page 9

post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

my intel 320 series 120gb is apparently far superior in durability to your ssd

power on hours 397 days 22 hours
power cycle count 922
unsafe shutdowns 134
host writes 218,801
Timed workload media wear 2,735,877
timed workload timer 591,443
total LBAs written 218,801
total LBAs read 240,429


It is currently set as my pagefile drive, as 16gigs of virtual. Also is setup as cache for any of my programs that I can send there

99% health

What it lacks in actual speed, it makes up for in being indestructible. Grand total of ONE error recorded, it was called UltraDMA CRC error count


HDD's are used as my storage drives. No darn SSD is ever gonna be my 1tb+ storage. you dont need speed from backups if they are dynamic. STATIC backups are where speed comes into play greatly


What program do you use to get those stats? I want it.
My System
(15 items)
 
 
My suedo server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 BE @ 4.3GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 790FX RT xfx 290  OCZ Platnum DDR3 1720@ 8-8-8-27-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 840  LG Thermaltake Extreem 3 Water Cooler Windows 10 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236H 23" Razor EVGA Super Nova 850 Corsair 200R 
MouseAudio
Razor Mamba Old Stereo  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveCooling
Intel Core i7 720 QM ATI 5870M seagate ssd Sager solid copper heatsinks 
OSAudio
Windows 8.1 Pro Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 be gigabyte ud3 7870 Ghz g-skill 8 gigabyte 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
western digital RED ADATA SSD LG Tower from local reatailer 
OSMonitorPowerCase
windows 7 lg 55in tv corsair tx 650 nox cool bay 
Mouse
microsoft blue tooth 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
 
My suedo server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 BE @ 4.3GHz MSI 790FX-GD70 790FX RT xfx 290  OCZ Platnum DDR3 1720@ 8-8-8-27-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 840  LG Thermaltake Extreem 3 Water Cooler Windows 10 pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236H 23" Razor EVGA Super Nova 850 Corsair 200R 
MouseAudio
Razor Mamba Old Stereo  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveCooling
Intel Core i7 720 QM ATI 5870M seagate ssd Sager solid copper heatsinks 
OSAudio
Windows 8.1 Pro Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 be gigabyte ud3 7870 Ghz g-skill 8 gigabyte 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
western digital RED ADATA SSD LG Tower from local reatailer 
OSMonitorPowerCase
windows 7 lg 55in tv corsair tx 650 nox cool bay 
Mouse
microsoft blue tooth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

I don't think that is ever going to happen. By the time SSDs get down to current HDD price per GB, HDD price per GB will be much lower than it is now.

That's not exactly how markets work. HDD prices will not sink into oblivion. If SSD sales keep rising and HDD falling, production might fall as well. A few analyses, some posted here, claim that HDD prices will rise steadily as demand and production fall. I doubt we'll see the same storage capacity per currency ratio for NAND-based storage and HDDs though, I agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwpwpro View Post

What program do you use to get those stats? I want it.

Any SMART monitoring software, Crystal DiskInfo is bretty neat. Note that you'll probably not get the exact same list of parameters from every SSD, f.ex some Dell OEM SSDs have a lot of Unknowns and not a lot of usable attributes (LiteOn/Plextor M3S & M6S).

Edit: The new version of DiskInfo displays "Vendor specific" instead of "Unknown"; however, I'm getting actual attribute names from other SMART software, f.ex smartmontools.
Edited by lrch - 10/17/15 at 3:56pm
post #83 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrch View Post

That's not exactly how markets work. HDD prices will not sink into oblivion. If SSD sales keep rising and HDD falling, production might fall as well. A few analyses, some posted here, claim that HDD prices will rise steadily as demand and production fall. I doubt we'll see the same storage capacity per currency ratio for NAND-based storage and HDDs though, I agree with you there.

the demand on HDD is getting smaller, thats why samsung, Fujitsu, H.G.S.T., etc. backed out of volume productions.
they have probably perceived that splitting the margins between multiple manufacturers would just end up harming their profits, which they sold their manufacturing plants instead.


the absolute minimum price of an HDD is highly dependent on the alloys used in it, it can't be cheaper than it's material cost.
the problematic part of boosting capacity density is it ends up requiring even more expensive materials, such as precious metals, and exotic gas filling.
this means, the production of higher and higher capacity HDD will hit a wall where cost of production ends up restricting it's practicality.
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

the demand on HDD is getting smaller, thats why samsung, Fujitsu, H.G.S.T., etc. backed out of volume productions.
they have probably perceived that splitting the margins between multiple manufacturers would just end up harming their profits, which they sold their manufacturing plants instead.


the absolute minimum price of an HDD is highly dependent on the alloys used in it, it can't be cheaper than it's material cost.
the problematic part of boosting capacity density is it ends up requiring even more expensive materials, such as precious metals, and exotic gas filling.
this means, the production of higher and higher capacity HDD will hit a wall where cost of production ends up restricting it's practicality.


We're on the same page, bud. smile.gif
post #85 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

...HDD's are used as my storage drives. No darn SSD is ever gonna be my 1tb+ storage. you dont need speed from backups if they are dynamic. STATIC backups are where speed comes into play greatly

Speed isn't the only reason to use SSDs. SSDs are dramatically more resistant to vibration and impact, run cooler, use less power, are quieter, and take up much less space.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwpwpro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

my intel 320 series 120gb is apparently far superior in durability to your ssd

power on hours 397 days 22 hours
power cycle count 922
unsafe shutdowns 134
host writes 218,801
Timed workload media wear 2,735,877
timed workload timer 591,443
total LBAs written 218,801
total LBAs read 240,429


It is currently set as my pagefile drive, as 16gigs of virtual. Also is setup as cache for any of my programs that I can send there

99% health

What it lacks in actual speed, it makes up for in being indestructible. Grand total of ONE error recorded, it was called UltraDMA CRC error count


HDD's are used as my storage drives. No darn SSD is ever gonna be my 1tb+ storage. you dont need speed from backups if they are dynamic. STATIC backups are where speed comes into play greatly


What program do you use to get those stats? I want it.

I used defraggler from piriform. it has a SMART section near bottom half
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

...HDD's are used as my storage drives. No darn SSD is ever gonna be my 1tb+ storage. you dont need speed from backups if they are dynamic. STATIC backups are where speed comes into play greatly

Speed isn't the only reason to use SSDs. SSDs are dramatically more resistant to vibration and impact, run cooler, use less power, are quieter, and take up much less space.

Thank you for being brutally obvious

A) its in a desktop, no vibration. ALso no kids, and girly face is FAR less clumsy than me.

B) dont care about power, my laptop 1tb and 2tb drives use barely 4 times as much power. running. SPIN UP is where the big power ratings are from. Figure spinup, if 100% power, running is around 20-40% power

C) no on space. laptop drives are nearly the same price as desktop counterparts, made to a higher standard as far as temperature rating (and vibration and such), and take up SAME space as a 2.5 SSD.

D) again, SSD drives (IN MY OPINION) are only useful when the speed is useful. DYNAMIC backups might only write a few megabytes some days, and maybe a gigabyte others. I am NOT a power user.

E) I like turtles!
Unknown Dunno
(14 items)
 
Backup Pig
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320e Crosshair V Formula Z PNY 1070 G.Skill TridentX 2400 2x8gb CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 480GB Toshiba 256Gb SSD Samsung NVME 256gb M.2 Western Digital 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
N/A  NZXT Kraken X60 Win7-64bit Pro ASUS VG945H 
KeyboardPower
Blackweb Centaur EVGA Supernova G2 850watt 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6300 MSI 890FXA-GD70 Radeon 370 2gb TEAM Vulcan 4x8gb 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Intel 120gb SSD 320 Series factory FX 8350 air cooler Windows 7 64-bit Professional Corsair CX750M 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
Unknown Dunno
(14 items)
 
Backup Pig
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320e Crosshair V Formula Z PNY 1070 G.Skill TridentX 2400 2x8gb CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 480GB Toshiba 256Gb SSD Samsung NVME 256gb M.2 Western Digital 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
N/A  NZXT Kraken X60 Win7-64bit Pro ASUS VG945H 
KeyboardPower
Blackweb Centaur EVGA Supernova G2 850watt 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6300 MSI 890FXA-GD70 Radeon 370 2gb TEAM Vulcan 4x8gb 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Intel 120gb SSD 320 Series factory FX 8350 air cooler Windows 7 64-bit Professional Corsair CX750M 750 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 88
I wish they would use WD Blacks.

On a side note.

My 1TB Seagate is still chugging along after almost 5 years.

Start/Stop count 1,744
Power on hours 722 days 6 hours
Power cycle count 1,745
Head flying hours 970 days 19 hours
Total LBAs written 524,748,256
Total LBAs read 3,656,132,799

Now here's my 5TB External which is a Seagate.

Start/Stop count 905
Power on hours 75 days
Power cycle count 12
Load cycle count 2,189
Head flying hours 11 days 22 hours
Total LBAs written 5,625,065,976
Total LBAs read 6,498,148,445
post #88 of 88
Which 2tb should I get on Amazon ?

I'm leaning towards the seagate for the sub $70 price.
Skylake2016
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-6600k 4.62ghz 1.36v adaptive LLC 4 asus z170 pro gaming powercolor 7850 2gb @ 30% OC 8+8gb corsair 2400mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 240gb SSD 2 TB seagate HDD Phanteks tc14pe with noctua 140mm 1500rpm middl... win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix qx2710 matte 1440p CoolerMaster tenkeyless cherry brown +o-rings EVGA P2 650w platinum ikonik en2 140+140(stock fans from cooler) +1... 
Mouse
Logitech 402 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake2016
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-6600k 4.62ghz 1.36v adaptive LLC 4 asus z170 pro gaming powercolor 7850 2gb @ 30% OC 8+8gb corsair 2400mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 240gb SSD 2 TB seagate HDD Phanteks tc14pe with noctua 140mm 1500rpm middl... win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix qx2710 matte 1440p CoolerMaster tenkeyless cherry brown +o-rings EVGA P2 650w platinum ikonik en2 140+140(stock fans from cooler) +1... 
Mouse
Logitech 402 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Backblaze] - Hard Drive Reliability Stats for Q3 2015