Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Your experience HeadPHONE + sound card?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your experience HeadPHONE + sound card?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hello Mate..., Your experience a HeadPhone +Sound Card 400-350$ thumb.gif

Uses: music 60% guitar.gif
movies 30% bruce.gif
games 10% sniper.gif

Edited by Will Done - 10/16/15 at 5:32am
post #2 of 15
Sound card? No. DAC/AMP, yes. Get yourself over to Amazon.com and the Schiit website. You're going to buy a Schiit stack (Magni2/Modi2 non uber) and a Sennheiser HD598. That'll cost you $99+$99+$150 and you'll have a mind blowing experience.

You'll need a USB A>B cable and a pair of RCA patch cables. Schiit will get you these for $40. Total cost $390.

What? You still want a soundcard? Your best bet is an ASUS Xonar STX. That'll get you about 35-40% of the performance you'll get out of the schiit stack and the SAME price. Choose wisely wink.gif.

By the way for an extra $50 you can get the uber version of the DAC with better sound and a second set of RCA outputs to run to speakers.

Schiit-Stack-5.png

Sennheiser+HD+598+headphones.jpg
Edited by mistersprinkles - 10/16/15 at 10:03am
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
up up up up
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post

Sound card? No. DAC/AMP, yes. Get yourself over to Amazon.com and the Schiit website. You're going to buy a Schiit stack (Magni2/Modi2 non uber) and a Sennheiser HD598. That'll cost you $99+$99+$150 and you'll have a mind blowing experience.

You'll need a USB A>B cable and a pair of RCA patch cables. Schiit will get you these for $40. Total cost $390.

What? You still want a soundcard? Your best bet is an ASUS Xonar STX. That'll get you about 35-40% of the performance you'll get out of the schiit stack and the SAME price. Choose wisely wink.gif.

By the way for an extra $50 you can get the uber version of the DAC with better sound and a second set of RCA outputs to run to speakers.

Schiit-Stack-5.png

Sennheiser+HD+598+headphones.jpg

Thanks for the help and anyone who has a better idea posed here
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post

Sound card? No. DAC/AMP, yes. Get yourself over to Amazon.com and the Schiit website. You're going to buy a Schiit stack (Magni2/Modi2 non uber) and a Sennheiser HD598. That'll cost you $99+$99+$150 and you'll have a mind blowing experience.

You'll need a USB A>B cable and a pair of RCA patch cables. Schiit will get you these for $40. Total cost $390.

What? You still want a soundcard? Your best bet is an ASUS Xonar STX. That'll get you about 35-40% of the performance you'll get out of the schiit stack and the SAME price. Choose wisely wink.gif.

By the way for an extra $50 you can get the uber version of the DAC with better sound and a second set of RCA outputs to run to speakers.

Schiit-Stack-5.png

Sennheiser+HD+598+headphones.jpg

DO THIS ^
Alliance Slayer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus X99 Deluxe EVGA Titan X Corsair Dominator DDR4 2666mhz (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SM951 256gb SSD Samsung 1TB 850 PRO Seagate Barracuda 1tb Samsung 24x dvd 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Swiftech H240-X Noctua Fans all round Windows 8.1 Acer G277HU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Cherry MX Red EVGA 1200w G2 Fractal Define R5 Roccat ROC-11 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Alumic Sennheiser G4ME ONE Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Alliance Slayer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus X99 Deluxe EVGA Titan X Corsair Dominator DDR4 2666mhz (4x4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SM951 256gb SSD Samsung 1TB 850 PRO Seagate Barracuda 1tb Samsung 24x dvd 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Swiftech H240-X Noctua Fans all round Windows 8.1 Acer G277HU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Cherry MX Red EVGA 1200w G2 Fractal Define R5 Roccat ROC-11 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Alumic Sennheiser G4ME ONE Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 15
I would get the magni and modi 2 with the sennheiser 558s.

The 558s sound very similar tot he 598s and if you do the foam mod, they are pretty much the same headphone without the ugly paint for a lot less money.
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

I would get the magni and modi 2 with the sennheiser 558s.

The 558s sound very similar tot he 598s and if you do the foam mod, they are pretty much the same headphone without the ugly paint for a lot less money.

598 is $150 on Amazon right now.

Also 598 comes in many color choices, but only the one with the wood trim, which IMO is the classiest looking one, is 150 on Amazon right now.

For the difference in cost, and the "plug and play without mod" nature of the 598, I say get the 598. Even with the foam mod they don't sound the same. They may share drivers but the sound of the headphones is different.

Another option would be to go with Grado SR125E's but I don't feel that they sound as good as 598's. It is still a very nice headphone. The 598 is more comfortable though which is important.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post

598 is $150 on Amazon right now.

Also 598 comes in many color choices, but only the one with the wood trim, which IMO is the classiest looking one, is 150 on Amazon right now.

For the difference in cost, and the "plug and play without mod" nature of the 598, I say get the 598. Even with the foam mod they don't sound the same. They may share drivers but the sound of the headphones is different.

Another option would be to go with Grado SR125E's but I don't feel that they sound as good as 598's. It is still a very nice headphone. The 598 is more comfortable though which is important.

What About DT990 or Ak g 701
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Done View Post

What About DT990 or Ak g 701

I don't like the sound of AKG but that doesn't mean you won't like it. Buying any headphone without listening to it first is pretty risky, honestly.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Done View Post

Thanks for the help and anyone who has a better idea posed here

My setup at the moment is the Asus Essence STX II and A Byston BDA-1.
http://www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/BHA-1.html

I am waiting for the release of the BDA-3 External DAC.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bryston-unveils-bda-3-dac/

My primary headphones are Grado PS1000.
http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/professional-series/item/23-ps1000e

My secondary headphones are Sennheiser HD800.
http://en-ca.sennheiser.com/dynamic-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Your experience HeadPHONE + sound card?