Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Motherboad for i7 5960x, (PC for rendering with 3D max + Vray)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motherboad for i7 5960x, (PC for rendering with 3D max + Vray)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hi guys!

I am about to builit up a new rig for my work. I am working with 3D max + V-ray producing 3D visuals and animations of architecture.

What is importatnt for me:
1. Overclocking CPU up to 4,2-4,3 (as rendering time is important for me) but still keeping the machine absolutely stable
2. I will probably use the new PCI SSD and M.2 both for OS and data for work (Samsung SM951 512GB or Intel 750 Series HHHL (CEM2.0) 400GB)

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X 3,0 GHz BOX
Colling: noctua NH D15
SSD for data: Samsung SM951 512GB or Intel 750 Series HHHL (CEM2.0) 400GB
SSD for OS: Samsung SM951 512GB or Intel 750 Series HHHL (CEM2.0) 400GB
OS: Windows 7 (I know it is old but I have a small render farm and all machines have W7)
DDRAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 DDR4 4x8GB 2666MHz


So the question is which motherboard should I choose? smile.gif
post #2 of 8
what would be your budget?

why not a i7 5820 to save money?



also that CPU cooler wont be able to OC an octo core ot 4.3 with good temps
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
@Pontiac
I was quoting about 2K$ for this PC.

Why not 5820K? Well, while working with Vray, the rendering speed is crucial so 30% performance advantage is pretty a lot for me. I am not using it for gaming.
And now I am working on Evga SR-2 with dual xeon x5670 OC 4,07 GHz. So if I have bought 5820 ... it would be slower then my current PC smile.gif

What cooler do you recommned? I have NHD15 for SR-2 and it works just fine with OC at 4,07Ghz (max. temp 75C while full loaded).
post #4 of 8
Vray doesnt support cuda and opencl iirc? 2.0 was the last that i used
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastian Black View Post

@Pontiac
I was quoting about 2K$ for this PC.

Why not 5820K? Well, while working with Vray, the rendering speed is crucial so 30% performance advantage is pretty a lot for me. I am not using it for gaming.
And now I am working on Evga SR-2 with dual xeon x5670 OC 4,07 GHz. So if I have bought 5820 ... it would be slower then my current PC smile.gif

What cooler do you recommned? I have NHD15 for SR-2 and it works just fine with OC at 4,07Ghz (max. temp 75C while full loaded).

maybe an EK Predator 240mm or a swiftech 240x 280mm, or make your own wcing loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Vray doesnt support cuda and opencl iirc? 2.0 was the last that i used

check this for 3.1?/3.2 http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3/GPU+Rendering#GPURendering-SupportedHardwareandDrivers
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
@sugarhell
I am not going to use this rig for GPU rendering. Vray Gpu rendering is still not that realiable as CPU rendering. I think we need to wait 2-3 years.
Forgot to mention in specs. I will put inside EVga 780.

@Pontiac
Is EK Predator much more efficient then corsair H100i?
On my SR-2 I have have noctua NHD15 (cpu1) and corsair H100i (cpu0). Looks pretty awkward but works fine. And actually noctua performs slightly better then corsair!
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastian Black View Post

@sugarhell
I am not going to use this rig for GPU rendering. Vray Gpu rendering is still not that realiable as CPU rendering. I think we need to wait 2-3 years.
Forgot to mention in specs. I will put inside EVga 780.

@Pontiac
Is EK Predator much more efficient then corsair H100i?
On my SR-2 I have have noctua NHD15 (cpu1) and corsair H100i (cpu0). Looks pretty awkward but works fine. And actually noctua performs slightly better then corsair!
the EK predator is an expandable AIO cooler, the h100i is a closed loop and the performance of it cna be matched by a 80 to 70usd AIO like the raijintek triton.

on high TDP the choices should be the EK the swiftech or build your own loop
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
@Pontiac
OK. Got it.
And what about MOBO?
Will this be enough? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132506
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Motherboad for i7 5960x, (PC for rendering with 3D max + Vray)