Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread - Page 12

post #111 of 5152
Seems it's the same story again. Dust and dead pixels all over again. But no wonder if it is a same panel from AUO. You can see the top part obviously darker then rest. I suppose sides of the monitor have visible color shift as well (brighter with yellow tint). I would like to know about pixel inversion but 99% it will be the same. Same panel, same issues. So there is obviously no reason to prefer this before Asus. If you are lucky enough and can live with glitches I've mentioned then Asus can be great as well. Only difference is design and this is matter of taste.
post #112 of 5152
Disappointing if Dell has gone with the same AUO panel. I thought Dell would have more sense than to let a dog of a manufacturer like AUO drag their reputation in to the gutter with their shoddy panels assembled by a bunch of monkeys and zero QC. Most people won't even know who AUO are, they'll just blame Dell and won't buy from them again. Really, really stupid business decision on Dell's part. frown.gif
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #113 of 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post

Seems it's the same story again. Dust and dead pixels all over again. But no wonder if it is a same panel from AUO. You can see the top part obviously darker then rest. I suppose sides of the monitor have visible color shift as well (brighter with yellow tint). I would like to know about pixel inversion but 99% it will be the same. Same panel, same issues. So there is obviously no reason to prefer this before Asus. If you are lucky enough and can live with glitches I've mentioned then Asus can be great as well. Only difference is design and this is matter of taste.

No reasons ?

- cheaper price in Europe
- HDMI input
- improved gsync module (which should not flicker when fps go near zero)
post #114 of 5152
Hmmm I hope the chap above just got a defective one and it won't be the same story as the ASUS PG279Q.

I had two - the first had dust and dead pixels, the second horrible IPS glow / backlight bleed.

If this Dell turns out to be decent, I'll certainly consider one to tie me over
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

Disappointing if Dell has gone with the same AUO panel. I thought Dell would have more sense than to let a dog of a manufacturer like AUO drag their reputation in to the gutter with their shoddy panels assembled by a bunch of monkeys and zero QC. Most people won't even know who AUO are, they'll just blame Dell and won't buy from them again. Really, really stupid business decision on Dell's part. frown.gif

That's right, 90% of people have no idea about it and they blame the company written on the frame of a monitor. It's all about QC. If Dell make sure no crap will get to a customer, their reputation will not be affected. It can be even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylrese View Post

Hmmm I hope the chap above just got a defective one and it won't be the same story as the ASUS PG279Q.

I had two - the first had dust and dead pixels, the second horrible IPS glow / backlight bleed.

If this Dell turns out to be decent, I'll certainly consider one to tie me over

Your first one did not have extensive bleed/glow ? If not there may be a chance one can get a flawless monitor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelius View Post

No reasons ?

- cheaper price in Europe
- HDMI input
- improved gsync module (which should not flicker when fps go near zero)

You right, price is definitely much better than Asus. HDMI I don't need though. Hmmm, if they would resolve uniformity issues maybe it would be worth of thinking about it. I wish they would resolve that the top 1/3 of the screen is darker than the rest - it looks like some gradient and also the sides of the screen which have yellow tint. But I doubt about it.

I didn't know they are already available but in my country they are on stock at about 550e which is not bad price. But there are no reviews out there ? What's that possible smile.gif 2 weeks for TFT is pretty long time to wait... Oh my, don't know what to do...
Edited by misiak - 11/1/15 at 12:25pm
post #116 of 5152
Guys who already got this, can you check one thing for me? If you sit in your ideal position can you tell that top appx. 1/3 of the screen is noticeably darker on solid backgrounds than the rest of the monitor? Looks like a gama gradient on the screen. Especially visible on white background - e.g. explorer window maximized in Windows 10. Also left and right sides of the screen, do they have yellowish color tint ? How is overal uniformity of the screen from ideal position? I don't care about sharp angles. Just as you normally look at the monitor. These issues I had with Rog Swift so I wonder this Dell is any better. And they were pretty distracting for me.
post #117 of 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post

Guys who already got this, can you check one thing for me? If you sit in your ideal position can you tell that top appx. 1/3 of the screen is noticeably darker on solid backgrounds than the rest of the monitor? Looks like a gama gradient on the screen. Especially visible on white background - e.g. explorer window maximized in Windows 10. Also left and right sides of the screen, do they have yellowish color tint ? How is overal uniformity of the screen from ideal position? I don't care about sharp angles. Just as you normally look at the monitor. These issues I had with Rog Swift so I wonder this Dell is any better. And they were pretty distracting for me.

That just SOUNDS like a typical TN panel to me... don't they all suffer with this? The ones I've seen have anyway.
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

That just SOUNDS like a typical TN panel to me... don't they all suffer with this? The ones I've seen have anyway.

I don't have an idea, that's why I'm asking. If all have it, then this is not a way to go for me because I found it very distracting in Windows 10. If you maximize the window then left and right side is brighter with yellow tint and top 1/3 of display has a gradient. It looks very bad in my opinion. If I compare with my IPS panel, it does not feel good. The only problem with my IPS is some glow in bottom right corner and top one. I don't know what I hate more smile.gif I've never noticed with my old TN I had maybe 5 years ago but it was 19" so maybe it was not a problem. But with larger screen I don't know.
post #119 of 5152
Can't weigh in on the color tint but the "gamma gradient" you describe, as atomicus said, is a characteristic of TN panels, due to the poor viewing angles. If you raise or lower your head even slightly you'll see that gradient "move". Only way to avoid this is, well, to not buy a TN panel.
post #120 of 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

That just SOUNDS like a typical TN panel to me... don't they all suffer with this? The ones I've seen have anyway.
It is 100% normal for ALL TN panels.

It may not have been as noticeable in the past because screens had been smaller. I do not think I would want larger than 24inch in TN. My girlfriends 22(21.something)inch has much less noticeable.

Personally the glow on IPS bugs me more than some of the TN issues. It kills off immersion in darker games.

VA would be idea if it became faster. While the average response is down, some transitions are still very slow(like 30+ms).

In the end, it comes down to preference and many users will just get used to what they have.
Gaming
(15 items)
 
Media Center
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.4 Maximus IV Gene-z Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
M4 256 MX 300 Liteon Slot load H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64 bit BenQ XL2420Z Logitech Wave Corsair 850HX 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone FT03 Logitech G9 X-fi Titanium Fatality 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 h55n usb3 msi gtx 650 ti Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WDC Red 3tb M4 128 WDC scorpio Blue 2.5 Sony AD-7690H-01 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Geminii S Windows 7 HP 64 bit SyncMaster 245t Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
FSP SFX 300 watt SG05 Logitech G9 Sound Blaster Omni 
Other
HD PVR 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(15 items)
 
Media Center
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.4 Maximus IV Gene-z Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
M4 256 MX 300 Liteon Slot load H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64 bit BenQ XL2420Z Logitech Wave Corsair 850HX 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone FT03 Logitech G9 X-fi Titanium Fatality 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 h55n usb3 msi gtx 650 ti Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WDC Red 3tb M4 128 WDC scorpio Blue 2.5 Sony AD-7690H-01 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Geminii S Windows 7 HP 64 bit SyncMaster 245t Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
FSP SFX 300 watt SG05 Logitech G9 Sound Blaster Omni 
Other
HD PVR 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread