Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread - Page 199

post #1981 of 4640
After a lot of debating, reading and comparison videos I decided on this monitor and decided to return my Asus MG279Q. Since I have a 980 Ti I was also now gaining G-Sync which was a nice benefit. The Asus's higher pixel response time was very noticeable to me. I came from a 144hz 1ms Asus VG248QE and it started to give me headaches after a short period of play time. Not good!

This Dell is simply great IMO. I love the reserved look, the screen came with zero defects, no dead pixels or any issues to report on. The 8-bit TN is great, and the colors are very very close to my IPS Asus that I'm returning. The greatest thing for me is the much faster pixel response time, possibly the G-Sync that makes the difference. I can now play twitch shooters again and have a clear image with no blurriness that was bad on the MG279Q.

This is a great screen! This is the keeper for me. The fact that it's TN is of no consequence for me as I use this monitor for casual browsing, and gaming, and the colors far exceed anything a normal user would need. Also the viewing angles are excellent for TN except if viewed from the bottom up. Viewing from the sides or top down and it maintains excellent viewing angles. Again of little consequence as I chill right in front of my screen while gaming.
Edited by Talon2016 - 2/10/16 at 8:09pm
post #1982 of 4640
The more i read some the experiences with this monitor here the more im leaning towards the XB271HU even if its more expensive, at least it has good overdrive, no pixel inversion problems, and theres a good chance it wont have a lot of bleed or any that can't at least be helped. The glow will still be there, but after using my 2795QHD for about a month now i really dont get hit with dark enough screens to ever be that bothered by the small amounts of glow. Other than that the Acer will also blow the Dell out of the water in picture quality with its panel and much lighter AG coating.

Looks like my local Microcenter will have stock soon so i'll end up picking one up there most likely in the event of a bad panel i can get a quick exchange instead of dealing with any sort of shipping.
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1983 of 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

The more i read some the experiences with this monitor here the more im leaning towards the XB271HU even if its more expensive, at least it has good overdrive, no pixel inversion problems, and theres a good chance it wont have a lot of bleed or any that can't at least be helped. The glow will still be there, but after using my 2795QHD for about a month now i really dont get hit with dark enough screens to ever be that bothered by the small amounts of glow. Other than that the Acer will also blow the Dell out of the water in picture quality with its panel and much lighter AG coating.

Looks like my local Microcenter will have stock soon so i'll end up picking one up there most likely in the event of a bad panel i can get a quick exchange instead of dealing with any sort of shipping.

Looking at reviews of that screen on Amazon, at least it doesn't look to have the terrible issues with dust and crap behind the screen. The crappy backlight bleed is there though, and while at first I wasn't bothered by this during gaming sessions I really started to notice it during any dark scenes. For example Killing Floor 2 on most of the maps had a terrible yellow glow from the bottom corners where I had the bleed. It washed out the image and really made the experience very poor. This screen looks to be no different. I'm sticking with a great looking TN for now, I'll wait a few years when IPS is not only faster in response times but also they have removed or perfected backlight bleed/glow.
post #1984 of 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2016 View Post

Looking at reviews of that screen on Amazon, at least it doesn't look to have the terrible issues with dust and crap behind the screen. The crappy backlight bleed is there though, and while at first I wasn't bothered by this during gaming sessions I really started to notice it during any dark scenes. For example Killing Floor 2 on most of the maps had a terrible yellow glow from the bottom corners where I had the bleed. It washed out the image and really made the experience very poor. This screen looks to be no different. I'm sticking with a great looking TN for now, I'll wait a few years when IPS is not only faster in response times but also they have removed or perfected backlight bleed/glow.

IPS glow should be silvery/blueish, yellow glow is either bleed you're mistaking for glow or the panel is defective. If i got one of the Acers with good uniformity, no dead pixels, and just some bleed as well as the expected IPS glow i would keep it provided i could play around with the frame and alleviate the bleed spots.

I'm interested in PCMs Dell review in particular the overshoot, but i don't expect anything new except that it has overshoot and is the most offensive when there are fast white color objects moving on the screen. That coupled with the pixel inversion is reason enough for me to get the AHVA and deal with some glow, whilst every other aspect of the monitor being superior to the Dell, except maybe aesthetics where i find the Dell having much better taste and less gamer looking.

Would be cool if Dell would be proactive and update the monitors firmware to adjust the overdrive to be less aggressive, but i don't think that will ever happen. Monitor tech has recently progressed by leaps and bounds but poor QC has really put a damper on things. For one of these $500-800 144hz 1440p panels you get abysmal quality compared to say a nice 4k TV in that same price range. TVs unfortunately not ideal for fast paced PC gameplay with the lag associated with them.
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1985 of 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post

I'm returning mine to Adorama - dead pixel and that annoying buzz. I ordered the 2nd through jet.com and is being fulfilled by buy.com. It should be here on Friday.

I returned the 2nd also because it was a refurbished monitor with 3 dead pixels. (dell's warranty starts to work with 6 dead pixels...) mad.gif
Gonna give a shoot to acer xb271hu.
post #1986 of 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToKuten View Post

I returned the 2nd also because it was a refurbished monitor with 3 dead pixels. (dell's warranty starts to work with 6 dead pixels...) mad.gif
Gonna give a shoot to acer xb271hu.

refurbished, thats not good, where did you get it from and how did you know
post #1987 of 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mads1 View Post

refurbished, thats not good, where did you get it from and how did you know
The package was sealed by DELL, the base of the screen has been used (you see it on my picture), also screws are striped on the back of the screen , and i had a adhesive tape on the back mad.gif
I bought it from a reseller in germany. Waiting my refund...


Edited by ToKuten - 2/11/16 at 9:38am
post #1988 of 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToKuten View Post

I returned the 2nd also because it was a refurbished monitor with 3 dead pixels. (dell's warranty starts to work with 6 dead pixels...) mad.gif
Gonna give a shoot to acer xb271hu.

Yea, I read the policy but still the buzz is annoying. What was Dell thinking? I own 3 3007WFP-HC and one U3011 and those things have been perfect for the past 6 years. It seems new monitors, in general, are really shoddy.
post #1989 of 4640
Yeah, this seems like the safest bet for a 1440p G-Sync monitor and it's still shoddy.
post #1990 of 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToKuten View Post

The package was sealed by DELL, the base of the screen has been used (you see it on my picture), also screws are striped on the back of the screen , and i had a adhesive tape on the back mad.gif
I bought it from a reseller in germany. Waiting my refund...


I can't really see anything wrong with the picture of the stand? rolleyes.gif
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread