Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread - Page 210

post #2091 of 5154
Might pick up a pair of the 3d vision 2 glasses if ghosting is minimal. Really enjoyed it last time a used it a few years back, just support in games for it dried up.
post #2092 of 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zehoo View Post

Might pick up a pair of the 3d vision 2 glasses if ghosting is minimal. Really enjoyed it last time a used it a few years back, just support in games for it dried up.

'Ghosting' is minimal, but there are strange interlaced shadows accompanying many objects when using 3D Vision- refer to the PG278Q review. Again, exactly the same on this model. Confirmed from testing.
post #2093 of 5154
Anyone have any thoughts of this monitor vs the acer XB271?

I have the Acer right now, and really am loving it. But the fact that this monitor is 200 dollars less really appeals to me.... Im wondering if the IPS is worth the extra 200 dollar price tag (I wont use the overcloking feature on this acer anyways).

I guess I am wondering how this panel stacks up against the other TN panels with same specs. I just came across this model today.
post #2094 of 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcurtains View Post

Anyone have any thoughts of this monitor vs the acer XB271?

I have the Acer right now, and really am loving it. But the fact that this monitor is 200 dollars less really appeals to me.... Im wondering if the IPS is worth the extra 200 dollar price tag (I wont use the overcloking feature on this acer anyways).

I guess I am wondering how this panel stacks up against the other TN panels with same specs. I just came across this model today.

Well last night i did a side by side comparison between this monitor and a Dell 2515H Ultrasharp (on the left) which is IPS.





Yes the colours are slightly better on the IPS but not a massive difference once you have calibrated the S2716DG.

If i was to be buying again, i'd first try to get a good Acer XB271HU and if i didn't win the monitor lottery, settle for the S2716DG instead.

The S2716DG is a fantastic monitor but there are a few negative points:

- Pixel Inversion. You will get vertical lines across fast moving objects and this can really take away the immersive feeling once you notice it.

- Coating. The coating is grainy, almost like it needs a good clean if you look at it in daylight. It would have been MUCH better with a glossy coating in my opinion.

Quality control is good with Dell and very poor with Acer / ASUS. With the Dell you will likely get a good panel, whereas with the Acer / ASUS its a really lottery and comes down to nothing but luck.

Other than that, either is a solid choice. Get the best you can afford.

If your interested, i did an unboxing and review on this monitor which is proving very popular. I did it on Day 1 so a few minor things have changed but otherwise pretty accurate.

Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2095 of 5154
Thanks for the reply.

Im gonna do some more testing for BLB and what not on my acer XB271. So far though, I have not noticed any in real world usage.

One thing I do have to say about this monitor though is that on white screens, it does look like it is not quite uniform (like some areas are a bit more yellow.) Although I am constantly asking myself if it just mind trick because of everything I have read about it.

The monitor is beautiful. The new tomb raider looks ******* fantastic in 1440p on this panel. Mind you, I upgraded from a standard ass HP 60Hz 1080p monitor.

I basically need to decide though if the IPS is worth the extra money.... the acer cost me 875 dollars after tax. While i definitely can afford it, I am looking into all my options to see if there is something that is comparable at a lower price.

Like I said I stumbled across the Dell today, did not even know it existed before. The pixel inversion seems like a real dealbreaker for me though.... it seems like every TN 144Hz 1440p monitor I read about has it. Is this the case ?
post #2096 of 5154
Oh you already own the XB271HU? In that case, no i don't recommend it. The Acer is better all round and i'd personally consider spending the extra to get rid of the pixel inversion i currently experience. IPS is also much nicer in terms of colour.
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2097 of 5154
Where/when exactly does this pixel inversion occur? ... (or should I just not look for it and be ignorant(=happy))
post #2098 of 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylrese View Post

Well last night i did a side by side comparison between this monitor and a Dell 2515H Ultrasharp (on the left) which is IPS.





Yes the colours are slightly better on the IPS but not a massive difference once you have calibrated the S2716DG.

If i was to be buying again, i'd first try to get a good Acer XB271HU and if i didn't win the monitor lottery, settle for the S2716DG instead.

The S2716DG is a fantastic monitor but there are a few negative points:

- Pixel Inversion. You will get vertical lines across fast moving objects and this can really take away the immersive feeling once you notice it.

- Coating. The coating is grainy, almost like it needs a good clean if you look at it in daylight. It would have been MUCH better with a glossy coating in my opinion.

Quality control is good with Dell and very poor with Acer / ASUS. With the Dell you will likely get a good panel, whereas with the Acer / ASUS its a really lottery and comes down to nothing but luck.

Other than that, either is a solid choice. Get the best you can afford.

If your interested, i did an unboxing and review on this monitor which is proving very popular. I did it on Day 1 so a few minor things have changed but otherwise pretty accurate.


I will surely add color banding as one main problem.
post #2099 of 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwhat View Post

Where/when exactly does this pixel inversion occur? ... (or should I just not look for it and be ignorant(=happy))

When the screen shakes. When you scroll through websites with lots of pictures. When an object moves fast across the screen. Loading screens flash / flicker.

Yes banding is an issue too of course but i havent experienced it enough to put me off
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
Playstation 4
(0 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.2v MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3T... Full custom watercooling loop Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer XB271HU  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE Corsair HX1050 Professional Series Corsair 760T White Roccat Kone XTD 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Roccat Alumic Asus D2X Sound Card Bose Companion 5 Speakers NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting  
Other
Logitech G25 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2100 of 5154
Hey guys I want to upgrade my monitor and I want to go with this dell because is cheaper and has less quality issues compared to acer xb271 and asus pg279q.My monitor atm is http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-E2251VR-led-monitor.Will I notice a improvement in terms of picture quality?Thanks for your help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread