Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread - Page 271

post #2701 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-wl View Post

Got mine a few days ago (April 2016 A03) after having the Acer xb271hu which i returned because of bad blb. This has no dead pixels and after adding the tftcentral icc profile it looks very good. but i have this weird "saw edge pattern" on the bottom goes the whole length. I have bad camera so it doesn't show up so clearly.



Anyone else having this?

Cant see it from the picture. But, that is certainly not normal if you are seeing it. Take it back.
post #2702 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

Cant see it from the picture. But, that is certainly not normal if you are seeing it. Take it back.
I can see what he means. It looks like the ripple on a katana blade. Mine doesnt do that to my knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

I don't know if Dell has tried to fix the gamma or using some kind of newer revised panel. Maybe a combination of both. But, I can tell you 100% the colors was no where near as bad as my previous 2 A03 May 2016 builds. They have done something with the June 2016 builds for the better. Being able to compare before and after calibration using Colormunki Display. The differences was no where near of the 2 A03 May 2016 builds. Still a difference for sure. But, imo. Acceptable for people that don't have a calibration tool. That is saying a whole hell of a lot knowing how horrific the gamma is out of the box.

After going through all the hell. This one looks to finally be a keeper. It only took 3 tries. rolleyes.gif
So how do you mean? The June 2016 is blatantly different from the May 2016? in a good way?
Is it by much? Mines April and seems ok, but again I am apparently not a fiend at noticing this. I do see Overwatch is a bit washed out in the intro screen. Looking closer I thought the Menu screen had artifacts anad other issues but it seems these are all stylistic crap.
I have to remember to try one of those Gamma preservation apps and see how it is.
I havent tried Witcher 3 on the new one which at least has the built in gamma option so hopefully a good confirmation test.
Nothing fancy
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 6600K Z170 PRO GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB Samsung 840 250GB Seagate 2TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - 2013 Cherry MX Blue Antec 700w CM HAF 912 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 Extended 
  hide details  
Reply
Nothing fancy
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 6600K Z170 PRO GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB Samsung 840 250GB Seagate 2TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - 2013 Cherry MX Blue Antec 700w CM HAF 912 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 Extended 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2703 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlow View Post

I can see what he means. It looks like the ripple on a katana blade. Mine doesnt do that to my knowledge.
So how do you mean? The June 2016 is blatantly different from the May 2016? in a good way?
Is it by much? Mines April and seems ok, but again I am apparently not a fiend at noticing this. I do see Overwatch is a bit washed out in the intro screen. Looking closer I thought the Menu screen had artifacts anad other issues but it seems these are all stylistic crap.
I have to remember to try one of those Gamma preservation apps and see how it is.
I havent tried Witcher 3 on the new one which at least has the built in gamma option so hopefully a good confirmation test.

Yes for the better. The colors out of the box. The improvement what ever Dell had done was definitely noticeable. I am not imagining things either. I was able to compare. This is how they should be coming out of the box for customers that I consider half way decent.
post #2704 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

I don't know if Dell has tried to fix the gamma or using some kind of newer revised panel. Maybe a combination of both. But, I can tell you 100% the colors was no where near as bad as my previous 2 A03 May 2016 builds. They have done something with the June 2016 builds for the better. Being able to compare before and after calibration using Colormunki Display. The differences was no where near of the 2 A03 May 2016 builds. Still a difference for sure. But, imo. Acceptable for people that don't have a calibration tool. That is saying a whole hell of a lot knowing how horrific the gamma is out of the box.

After going through all the hell. This one looks to finally be a keeper. It only took 3 tries. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

Yes for the better. The colors out of the box. The improvement what ever Dell had done was definitely noticeable. I am not imagining things either. I was able to compare. This is how they should be coming out of the box for customers that I consider half way decent.
So from a noob perspective (mine) and no calibration tools available, applying your initial ICC profile would be on par with what you see on the newer one out of the box?
I guess what Im saying is the reviews all say the gamma is off. How much of that can be corrected via menus and settings?

An equivalent would be something like oh these speakers come set to 50% which isnt as loud as this set that comes out of the box at 35%. But if you set it to 60%, it sounds the same.
Nothing fancy
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 6600K Z170 PRO GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB Samsung 840 250GB Seagate 2TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - 2013 Cherry MX Blue Antec 700w CM HAF 912 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 Extended 
  hide details  
Reply
Nothing fancy
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 6600K Z170 PRO GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB Samsung 840 250GB Seagate 2TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - 2013 Cherry MX Blue Antec 700w CM HAF 912 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 Extended 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2705 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlow View Post


So from a noob perspective (mine) and no calibration tools available, applying your initial ICC profile would be on par with what you see on the newer one out of the box?
I guess what Im saying is the reviews all say the gamma is off. How much of that can be corrected via menus and settings?

An equivalent would be something like oh these speakers come set to 50% which isnt as loud as this set that comes out of the box at 35%. But if you set it to 60%, it sounds the same.

I would say yes its on par and not worry about it. For giggles. You can test my new ICC profile for this monitor. See if you notice changes. One profile might look better then the other. I bet 10-1 the original will look better on yours. The new one not so much because of Dell making changes. Its a TN. The gamma shifts no matter what. You will never get a perfect 2.2 gamma on this thing using the best tools in the world. You would still see a great improvement though using a tool worth purchasing.

A03 June 2016 build

ICC profile http://www.filedropper.com/dells2716dgd65_2
post #2706 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlow View Post


So from a noob perspective (mine) and no calibration tools available, applying your initial ICC profile would be on par with what you see on the newer one out of the box?
I guess what Im saying is the reviews all say the gamma is off. How much of that can be corrected via menus and settings?

An equivalent would be something like oh these speakers come set to 50% which isnt as loud as this set that comes out of the box at 35%. But if you set it to 60%, it sounds the same.

I would say yes its on par and not worry about it. For giggles. You can test my new ICC profile for this monitor. See if you notice changes. One profile might look better then the other. I bet 10-1 the original will look better on yours. The new one not so much because of Dell making changes. Its a TN. The gamma shifts no matter what. You will never get a perfect 2.2 gamma on this thing using the best tools in the world. You would still see a great improvement though using a tool worth purchasing.

A03 June 2016 build

ICC profile http://www.filedropper.com/dells2716dgd65_2

I know I keep saying this. But, I cant recommend Colormunki Display enough. Its also so user friendly a 5 year old could do it. The next model up is better but more advanced. It actually uses the same colorimeter just better software. And just to show you how panels vary. Brightness on this one is 25 to reach 118cm. Target being 120cm. 26 put it at 121cm. I prefer a bit under then over. So, anyone with a June 2016 build. I highly recommend you try my ICC profile listed above and change brightness to 25. You should be pleased with the results.
Edited by FattysGoneWild - 8/3/16 at 1:37pm
post #2707 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

I would say yes its on par and not worry about it. For giggles. You can test my new ICC profile for this monitor. See if you notice changes. One profile might look better then the other. I bet 10-1 the original will look better on yours. The new one not so much because of Dell making changes. Its a TN. The gamma shifts no matter what. You will never get a perfect 2.2 gamma on this thing using the best tools in the world. You would still see a great improvement though using a tool worth purchasing.

A03 June 2016 build

ICC profile http://www.filedropper.com/dells2716dgd65_2

I know I keep saying this. But, I cant recommend Colormunki Display enough. Its also so user friendly a 5 year old could do it. The next model up is better but more advanced. It actually uses the same colorimeter just better software. And just to show you how panels vary. Brightness on this one is 25 to reach 118cm. Target being 120cm. 26 put it at 121cm. I prefer a bit under then over. So, anyone with a June 2016 build. I highly recommend you try my ICC profile listed above and change brightness to 25. You should be pleased with the results.

Wow, that ICC made a lot more difference than the earlier ICC profiles I was using. Did you tweak the monitor display settings also? I got an A03 manufactured in June 2016 from BestBuy.
post #2708 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

I would say yes its on par and not worry about it. For giggles. You can test my new ICC profile for this monitor. See if you notice changes. One profile might look better then the other. I bet 10-1 the original will look better on yours. The new one not so much because of Dell making changes. Its a TN. The gamma shifts no matter what. You will never get a perfect 2.2 gamma on this thing using the best tools in the world. You would still see a great improvement though using a tool worth purchasing.

A03 June 2016 build

ICC profile http://www.filedropper.com/dells2716dgd65_2

I know I keep saying this. But, I cant recommend Colormunki Display enough. Its also so user friendly a 5 year old could do it. The next model up is better but more advanced. It actually uses the same colorimeter just better software. And just to show you how panels vary. Brightness on this one is 25 to reach 118cm. Target being 120cm. 26 put it at 121cm. I prefer a bit under then over. So, anyone with a June 2016 build. I highly recommend you try my ICC profile listed above and change brightness to 25. You should be pleased with the results.
Yea, the desktop appears nice and vibrant. Once Overwatch loads up its just white fest.
There is a gamma slider in there. I always thought gamma was another odd brightness setting so it seems that isnt the case.
So bringing that down makes the colors a little darker. Would it be wise to tweak that a bit then?
Oh I forgot to mention, I've still had a few cases of the monitor randomly flickering. I swapped wires and that didnt seem to be it.
I just got into my first match in overwatch, 10 seconds in it just went black. Then power save mode came up. I swapped inputs hdmi to dp, nothing. I alt-tab, nothing. ctrl+shift+esc for task manager and kill overwatch, nothing.
I tilt the monitor to remove the dp and try another, and the screen came back up. so chalking it up to its default cable.
I have one from work that clips in.
Edited by TheGlow - 8/3/16 at 4:42pm
Nothing fancy
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 6600K Z170 PRO GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB Samsung 840 250GB Seagate 2TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - 2013 Cherry MX Blue Antec 700w CM HAF 912 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 Extended 
  hide details  
Reply
Nothing fancy
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 6600K Z170 PRO GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB G.Skill DDR4-2133 8GB Samsung 840 250GB Seagate 2TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - 2013 Cherry MX Blue Antec 700w CM HAF 912 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 Extended 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2709 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerKnightX View Post

Wow, that ICC made a lot more difference than the earlier ICC profiles I was using. Did you tweak the monitor display settings also? I got an A03 manufactured in June 2016 from BestBuy.

Nope. I let CMD do all the grunt work and only adjusted brightness for the target @120cm. Everything else all defaults accept for deep sleep being disabled in the monitor settings. Which has nothing to do with calibration though. Yes I had a feeling anyone else with a A03 June 2016 build would be pleased with the results. thumb.gif
post #2710 of 5170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlow View Post

Yea, the desktop appears nice and vibrant. Once Overwatch loads up its just white fest.
There is a gamma slider in there. I always thought gamma was another odd brightness setting so it seems that isnt the case.
So bringing that down makes the colors a little darker. Would it be wise to tweak that a bit then?
Oh I forgot to mention, I've still had a few cases of the monitor randomly flickering. I swapped wires and that didnt seem to be it.
I just got into my first match in overwatch, 10 seconds in it just went black. Then power save mode came up. I swapped inputs hdmi to dp, nothing. I alt-tab, nothing. ctrl+shift+esc for task manager and kill overwatch, nothing.
I tilt the monitor to remove the dp and try another, and the screen came back up. so chalking it up to its default cable.
I have one from work that clips in.

Games are a hit and miss holding the ICC profile. Mostly a miss. Which seems to be the case with Overwatch. I don't have the game myself and just assuming. But, they do have software out there to hold it. Its also up to devs. But, since the majority buy a monitor it seems and don't calibrate them. Its not a priority or a feature that many people care about. In a perfect world. The setting should be added to all games like in the Witcher 3 that has a option for it. I cant help on brightness. Only post my findings and what I personally calibrated for light out with the monitor. I have always targeted 120cm and think its perfect for day/night use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Dell S2716DG 1440 144 Hz G-Sync Owners Thread