Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Really the best budget and general gaming laptops?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Really the best budget and general gaming laptops?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

So The Wirecutter just published these two articles, choosing the best budget and general gaming laptop, respectively:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptop/

Do you agree? I'm asking because I just, alas, spilled an entire glass of bourbon on my 2012 gaming laptop, and now it's dead. Fun! Need to buy a new one, but not in solid financial situation at the moment, so I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck with a new one. Ideally would like to spend around $1000 but could go up to $1500 with good financing options. My old laptop (MSi GE60) was decent but the GTX 660m was starting to choke on modern games so I'm not all that sad I need to update. I did put in a SSD, which I'm hoping the bourbon didn't fry, so I don't need to buy a new one with an SSD, but I do want it to be an option to add one, in case my current SSD is fried.

What do you guys think? Did The Wirecutter get it right, or are there better options out there? Oh, and I'm up for 17". If you're going to game, go big.

Thanks.

UPDATE - what do you guys think of this? Seems pretty solid for the price: http://us-store.acer.com/aspire-vn7-791g-71yt-gaming-notebook
Edited by QNine - 10/22/15 at 4:41pm
The 9 Design
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus P6T eVGA GTX 260 (216) 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500 AAKS + Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F1 LG SuperMulti Windows 7 RC1 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic POS Corsair 750W Coolermaster 690 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The 9 Design
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus P6T eVGA GTX 260 (216) 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500 AAKS + Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F1 LG SuperMulti Windows 7 RC1 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic POS Corsair 750W Coolermaster 690 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNine View Post

Hey all,

So The Wirecutter just published these two articles, choosing the best budget and general gaming laptop, respectively:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptop/

Do you agree? I'm asking because I just, alas, spilled an entire glass of bourbon on my 2012 gaming laptop, and now it's dead. Fun! Need to buy a new one, but not in solid financial situation at the moment, so I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck with a new one. Ideally would like to spend around $1000 but could go up to $1500 with good financing options. My old laptop (MSi GE60) was decent but the GTX 660m was starting to choke on modern games so I'm not all that sad I need to update. I did put in a SSD, which I'm hoping the bourbon didn't fry, so I don't need to buy a new one with an SSD, but I do want it to be an option to add one, in case my current SSD is fried.

What do you guys think? Did The Wirecutter get it right, or are there better options out there? Oh, and I'm up for 17". If you're going to game, go big.

Thanks.

UPDATE - what do you guys think of this? Seems pretty solid for the price: http://us-store.acer.com/aspire-vn7-791g-71yt-gaming-notebook

Screw Acer, lol.
You will regret it if you buy Acer products. IMO, they have ****ty qualities.

Go for Sager/Clevo, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Alienware and Lenovo. They make one of the best gaming laptops in a market.

Personally, I am in favor of Lenovo because it is simply the best bang for your buck with powerful specs yet decent pricing.
Not to mention, that sexy notebook keyboard typing experience. xD

If Lenovo isn't your type, then ASUS and Alienware seem pretty good.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K  P8Z68-V LX Galaxy Geforce GTX 670 Kingston 8GB RAM  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 OCZ Vertex 450 128GB WD 1TB HDD 5400 RPM Windows 8 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell e2414h monitor  Vizio VO22LFHDTV10A 22" Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Enforcer Logitech G700s Logitech Soft Cloth Mouse pad Sennheiser HD 558 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 3630m NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB 6GB RAM MyDigitalSSD mSATA 240GB 
Hard DriveOS
750GB HDD Windows 8  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K  P8Z68-V LX Galaxy Geforce GTX 670 Kingston 8GB RAM  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 OCZ Vertex 450 128GB WD 1TB HDD 5400 RPM Windows 8 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell e2414h monitor  Vizio VO22LFHDTV10A 22" Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Enforcer Logitech G700s Logitech Soft Cloth Mouse pad Sennheiser HD 558 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 3630m NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB 6GB RAM MyDigitalSSD mSATA 240GB 
Hard DriveOS
750GB HDD Windows 8  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryou-kun View Post

Screw Acer, lol.
You will regret it if you buy Acer products. IMO, they have ****ty qualities.

Go for Sager/Clevo, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Alienware and Lenovo. They make one of the best gaming laptops in a market.

Personally, I am in favor of Lenovo because it is simply the best bang for your buck with powerful specs yet decent pricing.
Not to mention, that sexy notebook keyboard typing experience. xD

If Lenovo isn't your type, then ASUS and Alienware seem pretty good.

Thanks for the info. Any specific Lenovo laptops you'd recommend?
The 9 Design
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus P6T eVGA GTX 260 (216) 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500 AAKS + Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F1 LG SuperMulti Windows 7 RC1 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic POS Corsair 750W Coolermaster 690 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The 9 Design
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus P6T eVGA GTX 260 (216) 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500 AAKS + Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F1 LG SuperMulti Windows 7 RC1 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic POS Corsair 750W Coolermaster 690 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNine View Post

Thanks for the info. Any specific Lenovo laptops you'd recommend?

Well, I would recommend one but Black Friday is right around the corner, so I would highly recommend you to wait.
You might even be able to grab a better gaming laptop when the price drop. tongue.gif
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K  P8Z68-V LX Galaxy Geforce GTX 670 Kingston 8GB RAM  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 OCZ Vertex 450 128GB WD 1TB HDD 5400 RPM Windows 8 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell e2414h monitor  Vizio VO22LFHDTV10A 22" Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Enforcer Logitech G700s Logitech Soft Cloth Mouse pad Sennheiser HD 558 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 3630m NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB 6GB RAM MyDigitalSSD mSATA 240GB 
Hard DriveOS
750GB HDD Windows 8  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K  P8Z68-V LX Galaxy Geforce GTX 670 Kingston 8GB RAM  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 OCZ Vertex 450 128GB WD 1TB HDD 5400 RPM Windows 8 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell e2414h monitor  Vizio VO22LFHDTV10A 22" Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Enforcer Logitech G700s Logitech Soft Cloth Mouse pad Sennheiser HD 558 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 3630m NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB 6GB RAM MyDigitalSSD mSATA 240GB 
Hard DriveOS
750GB HDD Windows 8  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNine View Post

Hey all,

So The Wirecutter just published these two articles, choosing the best budget and general gaming laptop, respectively:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-budget-gaming-laptop-so-far/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptop/

Do you agree? I'm asking because I just, alas, spilled an entire glass of bourbon on my 2012 gaming laptop, and now it's dead. Fun! Need to buy a new one, but not in solid financial situation at the moment, so I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck with a new one. Ideally would like to spend around $1000 but could go up to $1500 with good financing options. My old laptop (MSi GE60) was decent but the GTX 660m was starting to choke on modern games so I'm not all that sad I need to update. I did put in a SSD, which I'm hoping the bourbon didn't fry, so I don't need to buy a new one with an SSD, but I do want it to be an option to add one, in case my current SSD is fried.

What do you guys think? Did The Wirecutter get it right, or are there better options out there? Oh, and I'm up for 17". If you're going to game, go big.

Thanks.

UPDATE - what do you guys think of this? Seems pretty solid for the price: http://us-store.acer.com/aspire-vn7-791g-71yt-gaming-notebook

I brought that laptop for a friend well he brought I just set it up and used it.

The laptop has been solid and works well. I haven't notice any crappy quality but I'm fan of acer honestly you just have to get their more premium lines instead of el cheapo
WSV2
(15 items)
 
Home Server
(16 items)
 
Acer S7
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930K X79S-UP5 Zotac 770  K2000 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G Skill Ripjaws Z  Twin Samsung 840 Pro Rasa Block  Windows 8.1 Professional  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mountain Lion 10.8 (3) AOC IPS 23 Corsair K90 XFX PRO 850 
CaseMouse
800 D G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I3 2120 Asus Sabertooth Gigabyte GT220 Hyper X 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
(2) Seagate 1tb (3) Seagate 500gb None Stock Intel  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
WHS 2011 Lion 10.7.3 Asus 24inch Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake 600w Cheapie Mircrosoft  On board  
CPUGraphicsRAMOptical Drive
I7 4500U Intel 4400 8GB PCI 256gb 
OS
Windows 8.1 
  hide details  
Reply
WSV2
(15 items)
 
Home Server
(16 items)
 
Acer S7
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930K X79S-UP5 Zotac 770  K2000 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G Skill Ripjaws Z  Twin Samsung 840 Pro Rasa Block  Windows 8.1 Professional  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mountain Lion 10.8 (3) AOC IPS 23 Corsair K90 XFX PRO 850 
CaseMouse
800 D G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I3 2120 Asus Sabertooth Gigabyte GT220 Hyper X 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
(2) Seagate 1tb (3) Seagate 500gb None Stock Intel  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
WHS 2011 Lion 10.7.3 Asus 24inch Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake 600w Cheapie Mircrosoft  On board  
CPUGraphicsRAMOptical Drive
I7 4500U Intel 4400 8GB PCI 256gb 
OS
Windows 8.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Really the best budget and general gaming laptops?