Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First Time building my own desktop!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Time building my own desktop!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi, First Time building my own desktop! is there any guide tips or do&donts i should be wary of ?
is going to be my very first time building my own pc, any help out there would be great ! smile.gif Thanks
Mods feel free to move this to where this thread is suppose to be (not sure where to post it) Sorry !
post #2 of 11
There's well over a 1,000 do's and don'ts. Just a matter of what you need.
There are more than enough threads around with 'new' builds. Look in those and find something you like.
We can't really help you build anything without knowing what you will use it for or how much you are willing to spend.

Give us more info so we can give you info.
i7 Rig
(13 items)
 
New Gaming
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 3.8GHz (watercooled) Evga x58 e758 (with Enzotech block) 2x EVGA GTX 275 1792mb 6GB Corsair Dominator (1600) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x 640GB WD Black 2x Samsungs Windows 7 Home Premium 3x 21.5" ASUS, 1x 19" HP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX1000 Cooler Master HAF 932 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 Rig
(13 items)
 
New Gaming
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 3.8GHz (watercooled) Evga x58 e758 (with Enzotech block) 2x EVGA GTX 275 1792mb 6GB Corsair Dominator (1600) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x 640GB WD Black 2x Samsungs Windows 7 Home Premium 3x 21.5" ASUS, 1x 19" HP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX1000 Cooler Master HAF 932 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Do: bench test your system (motherboard and installed hardware) on a wooden table top or on a piece of cardboard before installing in the case.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBalll View Post

There's well over a 1,000 do's and don'ts. Just a matter of what you need.
There are more than enough threads around with 'new' builds. Look in those and find something you like.
We can't really help you build anything without knowing what you will use it for or how much you are willing to spend.

Give us more info so we can give you info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

Do: bench test your system (motherboard and installed hardware) on a wooden table top or on a piece of cardboard before installing in the case.
im building 6 computers, moving parts all over the place. so yeah if any awesome top notch tutorial available would appreciate if you can link it to me smile.gif hoping to build the 6 computer myself. just worried if it will explode lol plugging wrong cables etc. moving old stuff from current PC to another , alot of mix and matches but a total of 6 pc. already got all the parts but the main pc is going to be
i7 6700k , z170 hero , 500 gb ssd 850 evo, golden super flower 850w , 980ti msi lightning , noctua d15, trident z ddr4
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk View Post


im building 6 computers, moving parts all over the place. so yeah if any awesome top notch tutorial available would appreciate if you can link it to me smile.gif hoping to build the 6 computer myself. just worried if it will explode lol plugging wrong cables etc. moving old stuff from current PC to another , alot of mix and matches but a total of 6 pc. already got all the parts but the main pc is going to be
i7 6700k , z170 hero , 500 gb ssd 850 evo, golden super flower 850w , 980ti msi lightning , noctua d15, trident z ddr4

if you are moving lots of parts between systems just make sure that you don't mix power supply cables, only use the cables that came with each power supply.
some make look the same on the outside but are wired different on the inside, everything else for power is labeled what it connects too such as pci-e, cpu, etc.
also I built my first system using the internet search engine and had no problems.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

if you are moving lots of parts between systems just make sure that you don't mix power supply cables, only use the cables that came with each power supply.
some make look the same on the outside but are wired different on the inside, everything else for power is labeled what it connects too such as pci-e, cpu, etc.
also I built my first system using the internet search engine and had no problems.
thanks for the tip. wow you must be really talented. first time building a pc without much help. i heard its pretty difficult the part where cpu and case fans to plug in. and all the cables from power supply where to connect them is probably the hardest part ?
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk View Post

thanks for the tip. wow you must be really talented. first time building a pc without much help. i heard its pretty difficult the part where cpu and case fans to plug in. and all the cables from power supply where to connect them is probably the hardest part ?

I thought it would be hard but after some research it wasn't, and almost everything is labeled.
the cables from the power supply are stamped at each end for what they connect too.
fan hearders on the mother board are labeled also.
it's fun to build a computer and it's easy if you take your time and read all paperwork. smile.gif
I have now built over 10 computers for friends and family.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

I thought it would be hard but after some research it wasn't, and almost everything is labeled.
the cables from the power supply are stamped at each end for what they connect too.
fan hearders on the mother board are labeled also.
it's fun to build a computer and it's easy if you take your time and read all paperwork. smile.gif
I have now built over 10 computers for friends and family.
by the way can i use hairdryer to blow the dust out of my case ? will i need an actual blower ? will hairblower create more static than an actual blower?
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk View Post

by the way can i use hairdryer to blow the dust out of my case ? will i need an actual blower ? will hairblower create more static than an actual blower?

I don't see why not, just don't touch it on anything, and if the dryer has a cool setting then use that.
Have you considered one of these? even though it says vac it's really a blower, pays for itself in no time. I used to buy can air and they really are worthless after using a data-vac.
It was suggested to me by others here on OCN. shop around online, I caught mine on sale for $39.99 on Amazon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896367002
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

I don't see why not, just don't touch it on anything, and if the dryer has a cool setting then use that.
Have you considered one of these? even though it says vac it's really a blower, pays for itself in no time. I used to buy can air and they really are worthless after using a data-vac.
It was suggested to me by others here on OCN. shop around online, I caught mine on sale for $39.99 on Amazon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896367002
can i build my pc on a Wood table with glass on top of the wood ? example https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+glass+dining+table&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIqNXTrIngyAIVQRiUCh0PbAWI&biw=1920&bih=955#imgrc=jxB5ySI8kqpHTM%3A
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First Time building my own desktop!