Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon 860k with r9 290x, realistic build?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Athlon 860k with r9 290x, realistic build?

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Hello guys this is my first post on this great forum.
I have been around researching for two weeks, reading reviews, benchmarks, charts, opinions, everywhere, to find out if it could be realistic to have this cpu/gpu configuration.
I am trying to build a computer from scratch and my budget is limited to 650 euros with shipping included. One of my test builds is the following:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7Ghz 76,00 €
PC Crate: Antec VSK3000B 24,95 €
Motherboard: Asus A68HM-K 54,00 €
DVD Reader: Asus DRW-24F1MT 13,75 €
RAM: 2 x Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 CL9 43,90 €
GPU: Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC 4GB GDDR5 339,00 €
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3 46,95 €
PSU: Tacens Mars Gaming 700W 44,95 €

Total: 637.5 €

My resolution is 1366x768 from a LED TV i use as screen. I know the 290x is overkill but I always play games with top antialias and anisotropic and I need something that can run that load even on Crysis 3. (1366x768 on 29" can show HUGE aliasing).
My expectations with this build are for pure gaming for a long long time, I do not plan to upgrade in the near future, nor I could due to my economic situation.

Therefore the point of this post is to ask how much ****ed up would I be in case the CPU couldn't do anything at all with this GPU. I would be more than happy with just 60 fps for the future proof.

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 71
I really think you'd be better off with a GTX 960 at that resolution. The 290x really doesn't show it's power at that low of a resolution, so unless you plan on super sampling. VSR in the driver will only allow up to 1080p at your target resolution which still isn't even the prime resolution for a 290x. I'd take the money you'd save and get higher clocked RAM (like 1866mhz) even though you aren't using an APU, a better motherboard with heatsinks on the VRM and a nice CPU heatsink to allow a bit of an overclock.
Edited by Xylene - 10/24/15 at 7:08am
Turd
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.7ghz MSI Z77 MPOWER XFX R9 290 some ram 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 330 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8 Professional Auria EQ276W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky DK2108S MX Blue Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech MX510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries QcK Audio Technica ATH-M50S Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
Turd
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.7ghz MSI Z77 MPOWER XFX R9 290 some ram 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 330 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8 Professional Auria EQ276W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky DK2108S MX Blue Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech MX510 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
SteelSeries QcK Audio Technica ATH-M50S Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 71
Short Answer: That build will work just fine and the 290x is a good choice, especially if you plan to keep it for a long time.

Long Answer: The 860k is a smidge under powered given the GPU chosen and you are playing at a pretty low resolution. 4 GB of RAM is also low and the rest of the build is pretty budget. You are clearly making sacrifices all the way around in order to fit that 290x in your budget. None of these can be fixed without spending more money or reconfiguring the build without the 290x. Perhaps an r9 285 or 380 instead.
post #4 of 71
What country are you in? Could you link to a few stores that you can order from?

I think you might be able to stretch your money a bit further; the resolution you're playing at gives a lot of room for flexibility.
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

Short Answer: That build will work just fine and the 290x is a good choice, especially if you plan to keep it for a long time.

Long Answer: The 860k is a smidge under powered given the GPU chosen and you are playing at a pretty low resolution. 4 GB of RAM is also low and the rest of the build is pretty budget. You are clearly making sacrifices all the way around in order to fit that 290x in your budget. None of these can be fixed without spending more money or reconfiguring the build without the 290x. Perhaps an r9 285 or 380 instead.
Its actually two sticks of 4, so its 8 gb.
Thanks both of you for the input, the way I am trying to get this gpu is because i see my chances to upgrade in a near future are grim due to economic problems.
I would get the 280x if you can guarantee me a long lifespan with ultra settings and filters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

What country are you in? Could you link to a few stores that you can order from?

I think you might be able to stretch your money a bit further; the resolution you're playing at gives a lot of room for flexibility.

I live in spain. I use mainly these pages:
https://www.alternate.es/
https://www.pccomponentes.com/
post #6 of 71
I own the 280 and would chose the r9 285 or the 380 over both the 280 or 280x. Even with the 1 GB less vram, the 285/380 generally out performs the 280 and isn't much behind the 280x. They are also much newer platforms and have a few features not available on the 280/280x platform. Any new features AMD comes out with are much more likely to land on that newer platform as well. My opinion on the matter anyway.
post #7 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

I own the 280 and would chose the r9 285 or the 380 over both the 280 or 280x. Even with the 1 GB less vram, the 285/380 generally out performs the 280 and isn't much behind the 280x. They are also much newer platforms and have a few features not available on the 280/280x platform. Any new features AMD comes out with are much more likely to land on that newer platform as well. My opinion on the matter anyway.

R9 380 looks amazing, even more with the 4 GB version. Would that card last a long time on my resolution for serious gaming? I am not sure of the GTX 960 capabilities and the 970 is too expensive.
post #8 of 71
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (€78.10 @ Amazon Espana)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H ATX FM2+ Motherboard (€69.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (€50.78 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€46.50 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€46.20 @ Amazon Espana)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (€249.68 @ Amazon Espana)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case (€39.95 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€64.80 @ Amazon Espana)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (€14.75 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €659.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 16:43 CEST+0200
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
post #9 of 71
Tone down on the GPU and get a Core i5. Kingston Value RAM 2x8Gb is cheap-ish, and 16 is the new 8 smile.gif
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (€78.10 @ Amazon Espana)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H ATX FM2+ Motherboard (€69.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (€50.78 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€46.50 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€46.20 @ Amazon Espana)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (€249.68 @ Amazon Espana)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case (€39.95 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€64.80 @ Amazon Espana)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (€14.75 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €659.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 16:43 CEST+0200

Kingston SSDNow V300 is a terrible choice, Kingston sent fast units for test and review, and then replaced them with more than 2 times slower for actual sale.
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(14 items)
 
Ex-wife's Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4460 AsRock H81M-DG4 Sapphire Rx470 Platinum KVR 1600 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Seagate 3Tb Samsung 850 EVO 120 Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Fujitsu Siemens A17-2A Logitech K280e SuperFlower SF-550K12XP Thermaltake Versa H25 
MouseAudio
Logitech G402 Sony MDR XD150 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 750K 4.0Ghz AsRock FM2A75 Pro4+ Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X Kingston 2x4Gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 120  Western Digital 320Gb LiteON DVD-RW CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 Toshiba 32" FullHD TV Logitech FSP Hexa 550 
CaseMouse
DeLUX Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon 860k with r9 290x, realistic build?