Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › R9 290x CF Horrible Performance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

R9 290x CF Horrible Performance? - Page 6

post #51 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface420 View Post

the 8320 is bottlenecking your gpus
you're a silly goose if you think the 8320 wont bottleneck 290x crossfire,a 8350 bottlenecked my 280x crossfire by quite a bit and mine was 4.8ghz.

not in firestrike but in everything else pretty much
Bottlenecked it in what? There's no way to make a statement like that and expect it to be taken seriously without qualifying it.
There are many people on this site running Vishera CPUs that aren't experiencing the ubiquitous bottlenecking that occurs to so many poor AMD users.
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
post #52 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

Bottlenecked it in what? There's no way to make a statement like that and expect it to be taken seriously without qualifying it.
There are many people on this site running Vishera CPUs that aren't experiencing the ubiquitous bottlenecking that occurs to so many poor AMD users.
there are also those who switched to i7's and say FX8 belongs in the trash. It all depends on the choice of games. Intel is generally better since there are few (if any) games in which the performance plummets like on AMD CPUs. Maybe the people you're mentioning run higher resolutions and that's why they don't seem to spot the difference.

Edited by Klocek001 - 10/26/15 at 11:31pm
post #53 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

there are also those who switched to i7's and say FX8 belongs in the trash. It all depends on the choice of games. Intel is generally better since there are few (if any) games in which the performance plummets like on AMD CPUs. Maybe the people you're mentioning run higher resolutions and that's why they don't seem to spot the difference.
Anyone that says it "belongs in the trash" has zero credibility with me. I can turn on either of my Vishera rigs right now and play any game I own and have it feel almost indistinguishable from my 6700k .

But I digress; this is terribly off topic.
Edited by p4inkill3r - 10/27/15 at 5:37am
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
post #54 of 103
750 watt is a bit on the low side... I had 850Watss on my cf 290x and that was nearly enough...
Is your ulps disabled? looks like one card is switched off during benchmark..

How is your fps in games?
post #55 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r View Post

Anyone that says it "belongs in the trash" has zero credibility with me. I can turn on either of my Vishera rigs right now and play any game I own and have it feel almost indistinguishable from my 6700k .

But I digress; this is terribly off topic.

Yea with my CPU overclocked using Cinebench my score is 664, an i7-3770 gets a score of 662 so I don't think my CPU is that bad


Edited by Renton577 - 10/27/15 at 6:53pm
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwa View Post

750 watt is a bit on the low side... I had 850Watss on my cf 290x and that was nearly enough...
Is your ulps disabled? looks like one card is switched off during benchmark..

How is your fps in games?

I just switched over to my GTX 970 for now till I get a 1000 watt PSU, and my FPS was eh, with my 970 OC'd I get close to what my 2 290x's were getting and in some cases more. and yes ULPS was disabled my PSU I just think wasn't pumping out enough power, also there was a TON of screen tearing.
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton577 View Post

So I just got a second R9 290X and thought I would see a decent perfomance increase but I was surprised when I ran fire strike to see that my score hadent even gone up by 1000!! I'm getting 9200 now where I was getting 8600, is this normal or is this just ridiculous like I think it is?
I did not read through all the post but you are going to need a good 1000w power supply if you are going to overclock that rig, but you should be fine at stock. I would use DDU to remove your drivers and remove/reinstall afterburner. The 8320 should be able to pull those cards, I had my 8320/8350 @ 4.8+ with two overclocked 7970's and it worked just fine in most games. But even though I hate to admit it as an hardcore AMD guy an i5 or i7 will give you a big boost, but an intel CPU will not fix your current driver issues.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz(finally) Z97 MSI MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X - ~2063/11850 16gb DDR3@2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD's 240mm/360mm Rad - XSPC Raytorm/Universal block(... Windows 3840x2160@60hz 40"HDTV 
PowerCase
Evga 1000w  Arc Midi R2 Super Console 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz(finally) Z97 MSI MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X - ~2063/11850 16gb DDR3@2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD's 240mm/360mm Rad - XSPC Raytorm/Universal block(... Windows 3840x2160@60hz 40"HDTV 
PowerCase
Evga 1000w  Arc Midi R2 Super Console 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Cores View Post

I did not read through all the post but you are going to need a good 1000w power supply if you are going to overclock that rig, but you should be fine at stock. I would use DDU to remove your drivers and remove/reinstall afterburner. The 8320 should be able to pull those cards, I had my 8320/8350 @ 4.8+ with two overclocked 7970's and it worked just fine in most games. But even though I hate to admit it as an hardcore AMD guy an i5 or i7 will give you a big boost, but an intel CPU will not fix your current driver issues.

Thanks for the reply, after testing for a long while I found out it is my PSU, its not sufficient for the 2 cards sadly seeing as when I tested the PSU would alternate pumping out power between the cards and the 12v monitor dropped down to 11.5v at times, and anyway I checked today and the recommended PSU for just my ASUS 290x on the box it even says 750 watt heheh woops.
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 103
I hand a Thermaltake 850 in my all AMD rig(fx 8320/two 7970's) and with everything overclocked I had no issues. I got a 1000W power supply with the intention of getting two 290x's or 390's, but I am going to hold off as my rig is overpowered for 1440p right now. Make sure you get a good 80+ bronze or better >=850 power supply and you should be fine, good luck.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz(finally) Z97 MSI MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X - ~2063/11850 16gb DDR3@2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD's 240mm/360mm Rad - XSPC Raytorm/Universal block(... Windows 3840x2160@60hz 40"HDTV 
PowerCase
Evga 1000w  Arc Midi R2 Super Console 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz(finally) Z97 MSI MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X - ~2063/11850 16gb DDR3@2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD's 240mm/360mm Rad - XSPC Raytorm/Universal block(... Windows 3840x2160@60hz 40"HDTV 
PowerCase
Evga 1000w  Arc Midi R2 Super Console 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 103
Thread Starter 
Decided to do some more testing, connected each of my 290x's to a spare 600 watt psu I had dedicating the PSU to run the card and connected the PSU to a wattage meter. My asus card peaked just shy of 400 watts while my Sapphire card peaked at around 350. All I can say is dayum.. Also any suggestions on a good quality 1000w PSU? Any price is fine I just want good quality.
Edited by Renton577 - 10/28/15 at 2:27pm
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
The HybridAlien
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4710HQ Alienware 17 R2 Motherboard Nvidia GTX 980M Kingston 2 x 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro M.2 Seagate 1TB Hard Drive Dual Fans With Seperate Heat Pipes(CPU and GPU) Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Integrated TFT 1080P Panel RGB Backlit Integrated Keyboard 160 Watt Power Brick Sound Blaster Recon 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › R9 290x CF Horrible Performance?