Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Techspot]The Best Graphics Cards: Nvidia vs. AMD at Every Price Point
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Techspot]The Best Graphics Cards: Nvidia vs. AMD at Every Price Point - Page 4

post #31 of 135
Just picked up a used 280x for $90, for a friend's low-budget system. Obviously the best sub-$100 card. Will be a decent 1080p stopgap. Modern features can wait until next year, when modern will be much more modern.
post #32 of 135
Does the 390 outperform the 970 by much? Looking to replaced my 2x 570. I have an 860w power supply so I'd probably keep one 570 as a physx card.
Name
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k 4.6GHz 1.37v ASRock Z77 Extreme6 NITRO R9 Fury 16GB 1866 Kingston HyperX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Hard drive 640GB Hitachi Hard Drive 480GB Crucial M500 SSD Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Zorin OS 49" 4K 240Hz Sony TV Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire Corsair AX860i 
CaseMouse
Haf X Logitech G400s 
  hide details  
Reply
Name
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k 4.6GHz 1.37v ASRock Z77 Extreme6 NITRO R9 Fury 16GB 1866 Kingston HyperX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Hard drive 640GB Hitachi Hard Drive 480GB Crucial M500 SSD Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Zorin OS 49" 4K 240Hz Sony TV Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire Corsair AX860i 
CaseMouse
Haf X Logitech G400s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

After checking prices, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Thank you! +rep! biggrin.gif I would have missed that since I assumed 280X was way out of budget, but it's right there at $150-160, a bit high since I was aiming at $130-140 but with some searching I'm sure I can find a good deal. It's like another 15% performance over the 270X in there now. Do you think it will have any issue with the dual core? BF4 will be played on it. I know the CPU will be a bit of a bottleneck here, but how much now?
Well, it will run more or less fine. Its a low-mid end system, so i guess more moderate-high settings would be good if you go at 1080p
Desktop PC
(22 items)
 
ASUS ROG G72GX
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8320 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
XFX RX470 Singlefan Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Corsair Force LS WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB ASUS DVD-RW 
CoolingOSOSOS
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14 Windows 10 Enterprise Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa OphCrack 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS228HR Logitech K120 Corsair VS650 ThermalTake View 27 
MouseAudio
Bloody V5 Corsair HS30 Raptor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 G72GX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M  Hyundai Electronics  
RAMRAM
Hyundai Electronics  Hyundai Electronics  
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop PC
(22 items)
 
ASUS ROG G72GX
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8320 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
XFX RX470 Singlefan Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Corsair Force LS WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB ASUS DVD-RW 
CoolingOSOSOS
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14 Windows 10 Enterprise Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa OphCrack 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS228HR Logitech K120 Corsair VS650 ThermalTake View 27 
MouseAudio
Bloody V5 Corsair HS30 Raptor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 G72GX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M  Hyundai Electronics  
RAMRAM
Hyundai Electronics  Hyundai Electronics  
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

After checking prices, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Thank you! +rep! biggrin.gif I would have missed that since I assumed 280X was way out of budget, but it's right there at $150-160, a bit high since I was aiming at $130-140 but with some searching I'm sure I can find a good deal. It's like another 15% performance over the 270X in there now. Do you think it will have any issue with the dual core? BF4 will be played on it. I know the CPU will be a bit of a bottleneck here, but how much now?
Well, it will run more or less fine. Its a low-mid end system, so i guess more moderate-high settings would be good if you go at 1080p
The CPU was a major bottleneck though. Constantly pegged at 100% in BF4, the 270X couldn't do it's work. And of course when your CPU is at 100% it stutters hard. A different sort of stutter. It's quicker and sharper. Almost hurts to watch sometimes. Good thing it's not mine is all I can say. My younger brother uses it although it is technically the family computer. He's in between the "I don't care, as long as it works good" type person and "Hey my FPS dips bad here and but it doesn't say 100% GPU usage? Why?" So sometimes he actually participates in the art/process. Tweaking settings to make it run smoother, etc. I've trained him to close his 50 tabs while playing at least. (my god how are we related).bigeyedsmiley.png

But really, a 280X at $90? You've got to show me where you found the magical land of underpriced GPUs because dude, $130 is the lowest I can find. Saving that much on this project would be a massive, massive help as I can't even afford to look in it's direction, nevermind buy a new CPU, MB, RAM, CPU, GPU. And it needs cooling "rethink" so bad it's not even funny. Seriously, imagine an Athlon II X4 on 1.52v with a 270X on 1.312v, 4x2 DDR2 all choked up inside this thing!: http://thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001914 I bought this thing when I only had silence in my head. (Get it? lol) It does an EXCELLENT, FANTASTIC JOB at utterly killing noise and dampening what it can't kill to near silent, pleasant frequencies. But it's at the cost of terrible airflow for what has become a gaming PC. Cases are impossible to sell, otherwise I would since I have one sitting a year already and the other does not match its task nor the space under the desk. I've got about -0 dollars for a new case though, so it's fans I need. After this 280X goes in it's going to be in big trouble. That's my major concern here.

With no outtake fan unless you count the CPU cooler blowing a little towards the back, one 120mm intake on the bottom, and the stock thing that glows and moves but doesn't actually do anything this thing is an oven. I can't add another fan because the current MB doesn't have the headers for it! Seriously, it's unsavable. There are complaints about it creating "a pillar of heat" and words said like "is that safe?" tongue.gif I've got to lower the amount of wattage it uses and raise the percentage of heat it actively disperses while increasing the processing power by over 9000.

Here's what my plan has already gotten me:

$40 Pentium G3258 (Will delid and OC to as close to 10Ghz as possible)
$112 Gigabyte Z97X SOC-Force (This will help)
$49.49 Samsung Wonder Ram 2X4GB (You may see a pattern that I like to overclock)
$35 Corsair H80i as part of 4670k $155 combo!!! (Me: FX-6350 > 4670k) (A shame I cannot overclock the fans as that would probably solve the issue)

I am very proud of the bargains I found and would like to continue the trend!

*Sorry if that was too much information. Not really, I'm not sorry. Too bad for you!
Edited by cookieboyeli - 10/27/15 at 4:59am
post #35 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

The CPU was a major bottleneck though. Constantly pegged at 100% in BF4, the 270X couldn't do it's work. And of course when your CPU is at 100% it stutters hard. A different sort of stutter. It's quicker and sharper. Almost hurts to watch sometimes. Good thing it's not mine is all I can say. My younger brother uses it although it is technically the family computer. He's in between the "I don't care, as long as it works good" type person and "Hey my FPS dips bad here and but it doesn't say 100% GPU usage? Why?" So sometimes he actually participates in the art/process. Tweaking settings to make it run smoother, etc. I've trained him to close his 50 tabs while playing at least. (my god how are we related).bigeyedsmiley.png

But really, a 280X at $90? You've got to show me where you found the magical land of underpriced GPUs because dude, $130 is the lowest I can find. Saving that much on this project would be a massive, massive help as I can't even afford to look in it's direction, nevermind buy a new CPU, MB, RAM, CPU, GPU. And it needs cooling "rethink" so bad it's not even funny. Seriously, imagine an Athlon II X4 on 1.52v with a 270X on 1.312v, 4x2 DDR2 all choked up inside this thing!: http://thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001914 I bought this thing when I only had silence in my head. (Get it? lol) It does an EXCELLENT, FANTASTIC JOB at utterly killing noise and dampening what it can't kill to near silent, pleasant frequencies. But it's at the cost of terrible airflow for what has become a gaming PC. Cases are impossible to sell, otherwise I would since I have one sitting a year already and the other does not match its task nor the space under the desk. I've got about -0 dollars for a new case though, so it's fans I need. After this 280X goes in it's going to be in big trouble. That's my major concern here.

With no outtake fan unless you count the CPU cooler blowing a little towards the back, one 120mm intake on the bottom, and the stock thing that glows and moves but doesn't actually do anything this thing is an oven. I can't add another fan because the current MB doesn't have the headers for it! Seriously, it's unsavable. There are complaints about it creating "a pillar of heat" and words said like "is that safe?" tongue.gif I've got to lower the amount of wattage it uses and raise the percentage of heat it actively disperses while increasing the processing power by over 9000.

Here's what my plan has already gotten me:

$40 Pentium G3258 (Will delid and OC to as close to 10Ghz as possible)
$112 Gigabyte Z97X SOC-Force (This will help)
$49.49 Samsung Wonder Ram 2X4GB (You may see a pattern that I like to overclock)
$35 Corsair H80i as part of 4670k $155 combo!!! (Me: FX-6350 > 4670k) (A shame I cannot overclock the fans as that would probably solve the issue)

I am very proud of the bargains I found and would like to continue the trend!

*Sorry if that was too much information. Not really, I'm not sorry. Too bad for you!
Well, the G3258 is a native dual core CPU with no HT, so it is great only for terribly optimized (okay, NOT optimized) CPU heavy games like WoW, SC2, HotS and whatever else older RTS you can find. This is why an i5 is a must for gaming or at least AMD quad core CPU.
Desktop PC
(22 items)
 
ASUS ROG G72GX
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8320 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
XFX RX470 Singlefan Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Corsair Force LS WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB ASUS DVD-RW 
CoolingOSOSOS
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14 Windows 10 Enterprise Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa OphCrack 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS228HR Logitech K120 Corsair VS650 ThermalTake View 27 
MouseAudio
Bloody V5 Corsair HS30 Raptor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 G72GX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M  Hyundai Electronics  
RAMRAM
Hyundai Electronics  Hyundai Electronics  
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop PC
(22 items)
 
ASUS ROG G72GX
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8320 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
XFX RX470 Singlefan Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Corsair Force LS WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB ASUS DVD-RW 
CoolingOSOSOS
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14 Windows 10 Enterprise Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa OphCrack 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS228HR Logitech K120 Corsair VS650 ThermalTake View 27 
MouseAudio
Bloody V5 Corsair HS30 Raptor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 G72GX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M  Hyundai Electronics  
RAMRAM
Hyundai Electronics  Hyundai Electronics  
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 135
Not a fan of price comparison reviews these days that don't properly take into account if a GPU can use Freesync or Gsync.
post #37 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post

Not a fan of price comparison reviews these days that don't properly take into account if a GPU can use Freesync or Gsync.

Lots of people spend $700 on a display with a $200 GPU. j/k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

still $310 for a 290X makes the statement "390X is the best 400-500 usd card" quite ridiculous.

$379 for an 8GB 290X,with 5500Mhz VRAM. 4-8GB is not a big difference until you go dual card. Anyways 290X is E.O.L. You add that in you might as well add the dual 290x Devil 13 for $699,which will spank the 980Ti in supported games. Even get a free Razor Ouroboros mouse. tongue.gif
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 135
I just got a new EVGA 960 SSC 4G for $160 on sale at Newegg. How can a 950 be the choice in the 150 - 200 bracket? Just looking at MSRP and not what these actually sell for I guess.
W10 Desktop
(17 items)
 
Linux Desktop
(14 items)
 
Win 10 HTPC
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5820k ASRock x99 Extreme 4 GTX-960 GTX-750ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
HD 7850 4 x 4G DDR4 128G Corsair SSD WD 1G  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2G generic CDRW/DVD CM 212 EVO Win 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 1920x1200 IPS Microsoft Be Quiet 1000 Antec 305 
Mouse
Reaper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A97 R2.0 GTX-760 Samsung 2 x 4G Wonder Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128G Corsair SSD WD 500G Blue generic CDRW/DVD Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint 17.2 ASUS 1920x1200 IPS Microsoft XFX 650 
CaseMouse
NZXT 210 Reaper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B93 Gigabyte  EVGA GT 740 FTW Misc DD2-800 2x2G and 2x1G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate  generic  Win 10 Tech Preview 64 bit HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
HP Corsair cx430 Aptevia HTPC IBM 
  hide details  
Reply
W10 Desktop
(17 items)
 
Linux Desktop
(14 items)
 
Win 10 HTPC
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5820k ASRock x99 Extreme 4 GTX-960 GTX-750ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
HD 7850 4 x 4G DDR4 128G Corsair SSD WD 1G  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2G generic CDRW/DVD CM 212 EVO Win 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 1920x1200 IPS Microsoft Be Quiet 1000 Antec 305 
Mouse
Reaper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A97 R2.0 GTX-760 Samsung 2 x 4G Wonder Ram 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128G Corsair SSD WD 500G Blue generic CDRW/DVD Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint 17.2 ASUS 1920x1200 IPS Microsoft XFX 650 
CaseMouse
NZXT 210 Reaper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B93 Gigabyte  EVGA GT 740 FTW Misc DD2-800 2x2G and 2x1G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate  generic  Win 10 Tech Preview 64 bit HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
HP Corsair cx430 Aptevia HTPC IBM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

lachen.gif

This list is a bit of a joke. The fact that the ~$250 290X isn't on it gives enough warrant to ignore it.

This. Totally flawed
post #40 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themisseble View Post

Why have AMDs mid range GPUs much better efficiency than low end or high end?...
expect Fury and R9 Nano... but why is R9 270X very efficient or R7 370 (7850) and why R9 280X which is same GCN, but much more inefficient....






wat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Techspot]The Best Graphics Cards: Nvidia vs. AMD at Every Price Point