Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Angled fans - Will they last - Which is best?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Angled fans - Will they last - Which is best?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
So I'm embarking on a bit of a weird case build (hopefully) where I plan to fit all my PC components inside of a desk, but have the space for the parts are thin as possible. Other desks I've seen are always at least 4-6 inches thick and that's not really for me. So, what I'm getting at is I need fans to drive a lot of air through the 'case' as some parts of the build may have to be more passively cooled. Originally my idea was to put side by side a whole bunch of 60-80mm fans but I soon realised that was too costly and that they may not drive enough air. So I then thought, what if I angle some big 140/120mm fans at the edge of the case so that their height isn't an issue. But I quickly began worrying about the noise level as well as the longevity of the fans when they are sitting on the bearing at an angle (although fans blowing air horizontally would have the same issue i guess). So do fans perform worse on an angle and is there a certain type of fan (ball bearing, fluid bearing) which performs better?

TLDR: Do fans last as long on an angle and do they make any more noise? Also is fluid or ball bearings better for fans on an angle?

Thanks for reading!
post #2 of 16
Uh, mount the fan(s) on the bottom,?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Uh, mount the fan(s) on the bottom,?

This is a possibility but I still have to get heat out and blowing it back to the same spot would likely hurt cooling performance as the hot air blown out would then be pulled back in.
Also I feel like the heat sinks won't be getting the optimum air flow to them as it will bounce around and possible be hot before it gets there.
Another thing to note is that since it's going to be quite a thin case, the fans will essentially be blowing into an impenetrable wall only a few cm's from itself
post #4 of 16
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
It would need a divider on bottom to keep heated exhaust from contaminating cool intake air.

Is the component area the full width of the desk?
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

It would need a divider on bottom to keep heated exhaust from contaminating cool intake air.

Is the component area the full width of the desk?

I haven't sorted everything yet which is why I'm asking about the angled fans. I would assume that the components will be more closely positioned to one side as it will just make everything easier so i dont run out of cable length with everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post


Well I don't exactly want a storm, more of engineering masterpiece is desired thumb.gif

If the fans can be angled without any performance drop in cooling and/or acoustics I could possibly draw air up from the bottom and exhaust it out the back with an upward angled airflow direction? I think even tilting the lower intake fans would improve the cooling cause it will be more directional but yeah, it really just depends on what will happen to the fan's performance.
Edited by Jacksonator36 - 10/30/15 at 12:09am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonator36 View Post

So I'm embarking on a bit of a weird case build (hopefully) where I plan to fit all my PC components inside of a desk, but have the space for the parts are thin as possible. Other desks I've seen are always at least 4-6 inches thick and that's not really for me. So, what I'm getting at is I need fans to drive a lot of air through the 'case' as some parts of the build may have to be more passively cooled. Originally my idea was to put side by side a whole bunch of 60-80mm fans but I soon realised that was too costly and that they may not drive enough air. So I then thought, what if I angle some big 140/120mm fans at the edge of the case so that their height isn't an issue. But I quickly began worrying about the noise level as well as the longevity of the fans when they are sitting on the bearing at an angle (although fans blowing air horizontally would have the same issue i guess). So do fans perform worse on an angle and is there a certain type of fan (ball bearing, fluid bearing) which performs better?

TLDR: Do fans last as long on an angle and do they make any more noise? Also is fluid or ball bearings better for fans on an angle?

Thanks for reading!

Haven't actually heard of anybody having issues like that on the FT03, stock fans or not.

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM323 View Post

Haven't actually heard of anybody having issues like that on the FT03, stock fans or not.


Thanks for the input, I'm much less worried about them failing now, just curious about noise pollution cause one of my goals with this build is to have an almost silent build as currently I can't drop below 50 decibels even at idle
post #9 of 16
Use a lot of big, slow fans.

How thick will this be?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Use a lot of big, slow fans.

How thick will this be?
That's what I was thinking, only problem is with larger diameter usually comes thickness. I'm not 100% sure on thickness as I haven't sourced everything but I'm hoping for it to be maybe 10cm thick from top to bottom edges. I might try pushing it into say 8cm if I can get enough airflow through to be cooling my cpu without a fan mounted to it (just a low profile heatsink). Although I feel like it would have to be a lot of high pressure air for this and I don't know if it would really work as most of those heatsinks would be designed for top flowing air :/
Edited by Jacksonator36 - 10/30/15 at 1:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Angled fans - Will they last - Which is best?