Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [KG/TT] AMD also rumored to be using GDDR5x on new 14nm GPUs (Updated)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[KG/TT] AMD also rumored to be using GDDR5x on new 14nm GPUs (Updated)

post #1 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
When we heard whispers of NVIDIA using GDDR5X on its upcoming Pascal GPUs, it made sense. HBM2 is going to be sparse, so the use of GDDR5X is going to come in handy, big time. Not only is NVIDIA said to be set to reveal GDDR5X-based video cards, but AMD will, too.

Recently, we have been hearing quite a bit about GDDR5x, with rumours suggesting that Nvidia intends to use it in addition to HBM2 on its Pascal graphics cards next year. It would seem that AMD is also planning a similar move, with GDDR5x rumoured to appear on its new 14nm graphics cards next year while we wait for HBM to become more widely available. Right now, it is believed that HBM2 may be in a fairly limited supply, which means there is still some room left in the market for GDDR5.

It looks as though GDDR5X is going to be used well into 2018, while GDDR5 will most likely be kept for lower-end cards. I think we're going to see $50 - $300 cards with GDDR5, $300 - $500 cards (and possibly higher) with GDDR5X, and $500+ left for the higher-end HBM2 technology. The use of GDDR5X by AMD and NVIDIA is going to save much more money on R&D, because instead of moving over their entire next-gen GPU product lines, they can continue to use GDDR5X, which is not all that different to the current GDDR5 technology.

From the way things are going, it sounds like GDDR5x will replace GDDR5 for both AMD and Nvidia on lower end graphics cards, while top-end GPUs will feature the more energy efficient HBM2. This is all rumour for now though, we should learn more about AMD and Nvidia’s future architecture plans as we move in to 2016.

GDDR5x Information:
Quote:


According to a new presentation, GDDR5X is going to provide twice the data rate per memory access. We're going to see it jump from the current 32B data per memory access, to 64B data per memory access. GDDR5 has hit a ceiling at around 7Gbps, but GDDR5X is going to have a much higher I/O rates of around 10-12Gbps.

Source 1: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/amd-rumoured-to-be-using-gddr5x-on-new-14nm-gpus/
Source 2: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/48171/amd-rumored-gddr5x-next-gen-14nm-gpus/index.html

Found some more slides on GDDR5X:
Quote:




Source: http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/87533-slides-touting-gddr5x-memory-advantages-leak-online/
Edited by BiG StroOnZ - 10/31/15 at 11:24pm
post #2 of 76
Am i the only one who thinks HBM2 is only for the top tier cards?
post #3 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateZ View Post

Am i the only one who thinks HBM2 is only for the top tier cards?

No, if you read the OP you will see that both KitGuru and TweakTown speculated the same exact thing.
post #4 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

No, if you read the OP you will see that both KitGuru and TweakTown speculated the same exact thing.
Quote:
it sounds like GDDR5x will replace GDDR5 for both AMD and Nvidia on lower end graphics cards, while top-end GPUs will feature the more energy efficient HBM2

You missed my point, since HBM is going to be costly, nobody is going to use HBM for <$300 cards.
post #5 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateZ View Post


You missed my point, since HBM is going to be costly, nobody is going to use HBM for <$300 cards.

Exactly, what both KitGuru and TweakTown speculated:
Quote:
It looks as though GDDR5X is going to be used well into 2018, while GDDR5 will most likely be kept for lower-end cards. I think we're going to see $50 - $300 cards with GDDR5, $300 - $500 cards (and possibly higher) with GDDR5X, and $500+ left for the higher-end HBM2 technology. The use of GDDR5X by AMD and NVIDIA is going to save much more money on R&D, because instead of moving over their entire next-gen GPU product lines, they can continue to use GDDR5X, which is not all that different to the current GDDR5 technology.

Like I said, read the OP.
post #6 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Exactly, what both KitGuru and TweakTown speculated:
Like I said, read the OP.
I very well read the speculation, from what i understood from the speculation is, it's no big surprise that AMD intends use GDDR5X. So they can speculate all they want and it's not worth to speculate.
post #7 of 76
shame new tech, HBM2, is going to be hindered by cost - just like SSD, was years ago, and now look!

Wouldn't it be great if the vga card could feed off your ram ? And then you decide how much memory you want - 64 GB wink.gif

Then you will get someone as they always do ' Will it play Crysis? '
Edited by ladcrooks - 10/29/15 at 12:54am
post #8 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateZ View Post

I very well read the speculation, from what i understood from the speculation is, it's no big surprise that AMD intends use GDDR5X. So they can speculate all they want and it's not worth to speculate.

Then why did you speculate in the first place:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateZ View Post

Am i the only one who thinks HBM2 is only for the top tier cards?

?
post #9 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Then why did you speculate in the first place:
?

So that KG and TT stop speculating thats not worth speculating.
post #10 of 76
Micron's GDDR5x killed HBM2 adoption rate. biggrin.gif
Gaming Rig
(10 items)
 
Work/Web Rig
(11 items)
 
Web Rig
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @4GHz stock volt OC Asus P8Z77-V LK Palit GTX 750Ti StormX Dual Corsair Vengence 1600MHz_CL8 4GBx4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 80GB 7200rpm Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorCase
BenQ XL2720z @ 1920x1080 144Hz Silverstone Ps06 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9650 Gigabyte EP41-UD3L Asus 1GB Radeon 7790 DirectCU OC Corsair Gaming Ram 2GBx2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 226bw 1680x1050 Acbel iPower 510w (450w PSU) LianLi PS05 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD E350 MSI E350IA-E45 AMD Radeon 6310 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital 80GB Linux Slackware 14.1 Samsung 22" 1680x1050 LCD Acbel 300w PSU 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(10 items)
 
Work/Web Rig
(11 items)
 
Web Rig
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @4GHz stock volt OC Asus P8Z77-V LK Palit GTX 750Ti StormX Dual Corsair Vengence 1600MHz_CL8 4GBx4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 80GB 7200rpm Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorCase
BenQ XL2720z @ 1920x1080 144Hz Silverstone Ps06 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9650 Gigabyte EP41-UD3L Asus 1GB Radeon 7790 DirectCU OC Corsair Gaming Ram 2GBx2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 80GB 7200rpm Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 226bw 1680x1050 Acbel iPower 510w (450w PSU) LianLi PS05 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD E350 MSI E350IA-E45 AMD Radeon 6310 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital 80GB Linux Slackware 14.1 Samsung 22" 1680x1050 LCD Acbel 300w PSU 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [KG/TT] AMD also rumored to be using GDDR5x on new 14nm GPUs (Updated)