Originally Posted by TheBlindDeafMute
I disagree with almost everything you said.
That's fine. But you can't refute factual evidence. Like Apple's profits and huge market reach. No. People aren't simply mindless. There really is something to Apple's ecosystem that makes it very attractive. In fact, many enthusiasts on this Forum would prefer some Apple products to Android.
Apple products are far from perfect. My fiancé is on her 4th iPhone 6 due to it crashing, locking up, speaker failure etc. I'm still on my LG g3. Bought it new. Only recently added a g4. Would never go back to Apple. It's just... Lame. Pretty, but lame.
I never said Apple's perfect at everything. Also, making conclusions or any kind of blanket statement on the entire brand off anecdotal evidence is silly.
Apple requires that everything be tied in to iTunes and all their proprietary systems, whereas android allows more freedom. True, some of the apps are not fully polished, but you have such a large selection chances are you will find a version that is.
Users shouldn't have to look for a polished experience. It should already be there. Apple's products and eco-system comes with an extremely high level of polish stock.
I don't mod my car to make it perfect. I test-drive multiple vehicles to find the one I like. And 98% of the population does the same. The remaining 2% are enthusiasts and they are not a significant market. If you want to mod your Subaru WRX you're fine, but there is a reason why Subaru tries to make the car as good as it is at the price point that it has. Otherwise they'd make it a two-seater with no bare amenities and a big ass engine.
Android allows for more customization options, and a ton of different hardware options from a variety of manufacturers. Apple gives you 2 choices, big or small.
Strangely enough that's good enough for most people. It's like most of the consumer base chooses conformity over customization. I'm okay with that.
None of my smartphones require a dongle to connect to TV. All done through wifi, with one tap.
Good for you. You found a set-up that suit your needs. Apple's setup is okay with most people,. they don't have to look for it. It's already there.
Android is massive and in 2015 is only getting bigger. iOS is dropping.
Android made smartphones more accessible, Apple earns huge amounts of profits off luxurious goods
The list goes on. Apple caters to the vain and the stupid.
I agree with your point that most people don't know how to use an android. Some of that is due to it allows you to do more. Some of it is because it's cheaper, and less educated people have less to spend on a smart phonephone, much less how to Google "how to back up insert phone model here" .
Typing on mobile, so I won't elaborate too much. I think you are voicing your personal experience and personal opinion and not looking at all the details
I think it's ironic that you claim that I base this off my personal experience when the majority of your points are based on anecdotal evidence.
Yes, it's true that I base my conclusions off my personal experience. That's because I look at the general population and make conclusions off what people buy
not what I buy
Fact is, the majority of the population is stupid and doesn't want to bother with technology. They want everything to be easy, intuitive, and not require much thinking. Apple caters to that demographic and profits hugely. People come to buy iPhones and Galaxies. I don't even sell them, they just ask for it.
For phones like G4 and Z3? I have to pitch the benefits and explain why that phone will suit their needs, on top of teaching the basic functions and features. Apple's retention rate is so high it's ridiculous. 7 out of 10 Apple's customers will return to Apple. I cannot say the same for other brands. Especially when you consider the scope of Apple's ecosystem. The entire sphere of personal computing, PCs, Laptops, Tablets, Smartphones, and even fringe cases like AppleTV is in some ways a foothold for Apple.
We've finally seen Apple miss a beat in that area in the form of the Surface and they've relinquished control of Ultrabooks because their 2015 MacBook is no match for cheap Chromebooks or premium Ultrabooks(as well as Surface Book). But aside from those, Apple has a very, very loyal customer base. If Apple dies, it'll be an extremely slow death. So yeah, until competitors come with a level of polish that matches Apple, they will not be able to capture these kind of profits that arise from ahving a ready-to-go eco-system of products that all work together.