Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › OC Gigabyte GA-970a-ud3p FX8320 16Gb ram
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OC Gigabyte GA-970a-ud3p FX8320 16Gb ram - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Hi. Like i mentioned, just disable APM. The rest you don't need to touch. If you run F2G BIOS, you can also disable turbo. The rest is the usual drill. Raise multiplier, raise voltage, use LLC (i wouldn't go beyond High, personally i keep it at "normal", but only do 4Ghz, so may want more).
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Hi. Like i mentioned, just disable APM. The rest you don't need to touch. If you run F2G BIOS, you can also disable turbo. The rest is the usual drill. Raise multiplier, raise voltage, use LLC (i wouldn't go beyond High, personally i keep it at "normal", but only do 4Ghz, so may want more).

This if i want to have 4Ghz... and if i want to have 4.4Ghz?
My problem is when i use Dymanic Vcore... why i can't set normal on vcore and a value on DVID?..

For 4.4Ghz i'm stable with 1.38125v... if i set "NORMAL" on Vcore and +0.1375v my pc doesn't reboot... i must reset the bios every time.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakobis View Post

This if i want to have 4Ghz... and if i want to have 4.4Ghz?
My problem is when i use Dymanic Vcore... why i can't set normal on vcore and a value on DVID?..

For 4.4Ghz i'm stable with 1.38125v... if i set "NORMAL" on Vcore and +0.1375v my pc doesn't reboot... i must reset the bios every time.

Yes, i understand, this is why here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1578909/oc-gigabyte-ga-970a-ud3p-fx8320-16gb-ram#post_24570532

I hypothesized there is a BIOS bug(i 've never used offset) and so why not try without using offset. So, i went to BIOS and did what i proposed on post #10 (used only vcore, multi, LLC normal):




Didn't have the patience to run "Very High", it's just for demo purposes. 1.45v as vcore in BIOS (if one raises LLC, you probably need less). Cool N Quiet works fine, rebooted no problem. Shut down and booted, rebooted, no problem.

I don't have time or will to test "dynamic Vcore" (offset), but it gives you trouble, don't use it... In my case above, i didn't even use higher LLC than normal. This produced quite the vdroop (from 1.45v to 1.38v). But who cares... The CPU certainly doesn't care, because she doesn't know that LLC exists. That's something between you and your BIOS. The CPU only understands voltage. If it has sufficient voltage, it will go stable.
Edited by Undervolter - 11/6/15 at 8:21am
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Yes, i understand, this is why here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1578909/oc-gigabyte-ga-970a-ud3p-fx8320-16gb-ram#post_24570532

I hypothesized there is a BIOS bug(i 've never used offset) and so why not try without using offset. So, i went to BIOS and did what i proposed on post #10 (used only vcore, multi, LLC normal):




Didn't have the patience to run "Very High", it's just for demo purposes. 1.45v as vcore in BIOS (if one raises LLC, you probably need less). Cool N Quiet works fine, rebooted no problem. Shut down and booted, rebooted, no problem.

I don't have time or will to test "dynamic Vcore" (offset), but it gives you trouble, don't use it... In my case above, i didn't even use higher LLC than normal. This produced quite the vdroop (from 1.45v to 1.38v). But who cares... The CPU certainly doesn't care, because she doesn't know that LLC exists. That's something between you and your BIOS. The CPU only understands voltage. If it has sufficient voltage, it will go stable.

and maintain the fixed vcore can create problems?
regarding the current consumption is insignificant?
if imposed vcore fixed llc of mediums, such as energy savings have to activate?

Thanks... maybe is a bug on F2G...
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakobis View Post

and maintain the fixed vcore can create problems?
regarding the current consumption is insignificant?
if imposed vcore fixed llc of mediums, such as energy savings have to activate?

Thanks... maybe is a bug on F2G...

I am not sure i understand. The vcore is set in BIOS. If you leave CnQ enabled, then the vcore isn't fixed. On idle, it drops to something like 0.9v. You mean what will happen if you disable Coon N Quiet? Then you will be running always at the same voltage. Power consumption will be somewhat higher, but if the cores aren't loaded, it won't be terrible.

The LLC is independent setting from Cool N Quiet. You can set LLC to whatever you want and have Cool N Quiet enabled or disabled, as you prefer...
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

I am not sure i understand. The vcore is set in BIOS. If you leave CnQ enabled, then the vcore isn't fixed. On idle, it drops to something like 0.9v. You mean what will happen if you disable Coon N Quiet? Then you will be running always at the same voltage. Power consumption will be somewhat higher, but if the cores aren't loaded, it won't be terrible.

The LLC is independent setting from Cool N Quiet. You can set LLC to whatever you want and have Cool N Quiet enabled or disabled, as you prefer...

putting manually vcore, although active and quite cool, the vcore remains fixed, does not change.... and i don't know why... frown.gif
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakobis View Post

putting manually vcore, although active and quite cool, the vcore remains fixed, does not change.... and i don't know why... frown.gif

Maybe you have HPC enabled or in Windows power profiles you have high performance?

EDIT: OK, i overclocked again and you are right. The frequency drops to 1.4, but the votlage remains high. Probably yet another BIOS bug... At 4Ghz it doesn't occur (good for me).

Since you have 8320, you may want to rever to the previous BIOS and try. You could also contact Gigabyte in case they are interested in fixing this with new BIOS.

Given how quirky Gigabyte BIOS is, there might even be some setting that when changed, fixes this. But it would be trying every possible combination... It's like in F1 BIOS, where the double boot would resolve by enabling Turbo. You needed quite the imagination to figure that out on your own.
Edited by Undervolter - 11/6/15 at 12:15pm
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

Maybe you have HPC enabled or in Windows power profiles you have high performance?

EDIT: OK, i overclocked again and you are right. The frequency drops to 1.4, but the votlage remains high. Probably yet another BIOS bug... At 4Ghz it doesn't occur (good for me).

Since you have 8320, you may want to rever to the previous BIOS and try. You could also contact Gigabyte in case they are interested in fixing this with new BIOS.

Given how quirky Gigabyte BIOS is, there might even be some setting that when changed, fixes this. But it would be trying every possible combination... It's like in F1 BIOS, where the double boot would resolve by enabling Turbo. You needed quite the imagination to figure that out on your own.

Thanks for your test... i opened a ticket at gigabyte support... we'll see their response...

You also have the version F2G?

in the meentime... for 4.0Ghz, what i have to do?
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakobis View Post

putting manually vcore, although active and quite cool, the vcore remains fixed, does not change.... and i don't know why... frown.gif
My BIOS got corrupted from swapping RAM (trying to get 2400 speed at 5 GHz) and the motherboard was sticking my chip with over 1.5 volts no matter what settings I changed in the BIOS.

Updating my BIOS fixed the problem.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakobis View Post

Thanks for your test... i opened a ticket at gigabyte support... we'll see their response...

You also have the version F2G?

in the meentime... for 4.0Ghz, what i have to do?

Yes, i run F2G, as it solves the dual boot bug with turbo disabled (that was in F1). For 4Ghz, same as above, except multiplier x20 and try with vcore 1.3 (with vdroop you get 1.28v). Of course run stability test, because your chip may need more voltage than mine. But i have a pretty "standard" 8320, so most likely, you will be stable. Just keep APM off, turbo disabled, LLC normal and all CnQ features enabled.

If that still doesn't work, then it means that you need to use AMDMsrTweaker if you have Win7 (it's what i use, see my signature) and set Vcore to AUTO. This is the string i use:

P6=7@0.8125 P5=8.5@0.95 P4=11.5@1.0 P3=14.5@1.15 P2=20@1.3

Or, if you want to avoid AMDMsrTweaker, try raising multi to x20, while keeping vcore to AUTO.

EDIT: Honestly, it's becoming tiresome discovering new bugs after 2 years from launch. Unless Gigabyte gets its act together, i am not buying Gigabyte again. Unfortunately i 've already bought 2 UD3P rev1.0. Fortunately i am happy at 4Ghz, but even if one closes one eye to the overclocking bugs, one can't ignore how ugly the UEFI is.
Edited by Undervolter - 11/6/15 at 11:41pm
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › OC Gigabyte GA-970a-ud3p FX8320 16Gb ram