Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 1080p GTX 980Ti 6GB vs SLI GTX 670's 2GB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

1080p GTX 980Ti 6GB vs SLI GTX 670's 2GB

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
So as I expect my delivery to be here within this next week for a PNY Geforce GTX 980 Ti, I find myself pondering if it's going to make a difference? It's not easy to let go of $619 and I don't want this post to be mistaken as a budget scenario, because its not, but its more about if it was a smart choice for my current setup? I realize there are certain games that take more intensive advantage of VRAM like GTA 5 for example. Although while I don't really play that particular game much, I do like to benchmark and see the top notch graphics with adjusting to top settings. I just don't know if i'll see much of a difference with current popular benchmarks at 1080p vs whats now new to offer like 2k/4k with the 980 ti vs my current SLI GTX 670's. I understand the 980 will be much more future proof and what not, but i'd like to stick to the now. I would appreciate the feedback.. Maybe its time to upgrade my monitor to a 2k/4k res capable monitor?

P.S. Not alot of people come from my setup to a single GTX 980 Ti, and if there is, i'm having a hard time finding others feedback.
Edited by J!NX - 11/1/15 at 4:59pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
A quick look at Anandtech's bench section shows a GTX 980 as being slightly faster than a GTX 690.

Since a 980 Ti is generally about 35% faster than a 980, you're looking at the new setup being 35-40% faster.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
you're going to be ridiculously happy. there are folks that moved from a 970SLI set up that are happy with less power, heat and no SLI profiles to worry about though frame rates about the same.

i had a 980TI for a few months (before my rig was stolen) and it ate up everything at the highest settings so that i was looking for a 1440 screen.

e: typo tongue.gif
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

A quick look at Anandtech's bench section shows a GTX 980 as being slightly faster than a GTX 690.

Since a 980 Ti is generally about 35% faster than a 980, you're looking at the new setup being 35-40% faster.

Thanks for the confidence boost! smile.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

you're going to be ridiculously happy. there are folks that moved from a 970SLI set up that are happy with less power, heat and no SLI profiles to worry about though frame rates about the same.

i had a 980TI for a few months (before my rig was stolen) and it ate up everything at the highest settings so that i was looking for a 1440 screen.

e: typo tongue.gif

Oh nice! Sorry to hear about the stolen equipment. Hope you resolve the loss or hopefully you have already. I'll probably look into a 2k screen as well.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know if the PNY bios is easy to change or if changing its Bios is even suggested. Started looking into over locking for the 980 ti and it seems everyone goes with the flashing the bios route.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-7700k ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB Western Digital Red 8TB 5400RPM SATA Corsair H80i v2 Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung U28E590 Logitech G710+ Corsair RM850 Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Alienware Logitech Z623 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
I can tell you from my setups that a pair of 680s @1006core vs one of my 970s @1523core the 970 can just edge them out and my 4 680s were 4GB. Now 4 680s@1150 vs 3way 970s at 1523 the 970s eat the 680s and then for fun I tested 4way sli 970s against the 680s as far as they would clock and it wasn't even comparable the 4way 970s are a monster of a setup.
post #8 of 10
My 980Ti eats my R290's in CF and is close to my 980's in SLI ........ of course my Ti is a beast of a card when it's OC'd ..... beats my old Titan X in all MY benchmark runs.

You'll love it!

SS
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!NX View Post

Does anyone know if the PNY bios is easy to change or if changing its Bios is even suggested. Started looking into over locking for the 980 ti and it seems everyone goes with the flashing the bios route.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tweaking and flashing the bios is the same for all cards. though it looks like the PNYs have the reference cooler which might not afford you tweaking the voltage too much. the biggest hindrance is temps that custom cooler cards handle better. you'll still game all the same, just not be going for top scores in valley or firestrike.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!NX View Post

So as I expect my delivery to be here within this next week for a PNY Geforce GTX 980 Ti, I find myself pondering if it's going to make a difference? It's not easy to let go of $619 and I don't want this post to be mistaken as a budget scenario, because its not, but its more about if it was a smart choice for my current setup? I realize there are certain games that take more intensive advantage of VRAM like GTA 5 for example. Although while I don't really play that particular game much, I do like to benchmark and see the top notch graphics with adjusting to top settings. I just don't know if i'll see much of a difference with current popular benchmarks at 1080p vs whats now new to offer like 2k/4k with the 980 ti vs my current SLI GTX 670's. I understand the 980 will be much more future proof and what not, but i'd like to stick to the now. I would appreciate the feedback.. Maybe its time to upgrade my monitor to a 2k/4k res capable monitor?

P.S. Not alot of people come from my setup to a single GTX 980 Ti, and if there is, i'm having a hard time finding others feedback.

I got rid of my 970gtx sli for a single 980ti hybrid. VERY happy with the move. Running at 1500 my 980ti is very close to the 970's in sli. Loses by 3-5 fps in the games I play but the minimum fps is better and the smoothness is MUCH better with the single card. I have been using sli or crossfire since the 7950gx2 a LONG time ago.

I am done using SLI or crossfire until things change for the better. BTW I am very experienced with multi card setups. Get one big card and be done with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 1080p GTX 980Ti 6GB vs SLI GTX 670's 2GB