Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Need help building a Media server.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help building a Media server. - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

Yes. You can add drives to the array of any size. The only requirement is that the parity drive be equal to or greater than the size of your largest data drive.

Will it take full Drives? Or will I need to add a couple blank ones and fill them up. Then wipe the old ones and add them?
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmjs View Post

Will it take full Drives? Or will I need to add a couple blank ones and fill them up. Then wipe the old ones and add them?

What file system are your current data drives formatted with? unRAID allows you to use filled disks but only if they are already formatted with the ReiserFS, XFS or Btrfs filesystems. But not ext4 or NTFS.

So if they are formatted with NTFS for example, you would need to add at least 2 drives to the unRAID array (1 parity, 1 data) and then one by one you could transfer data from your old disks to the new array adding each drive to the array after you've copied the data off it to the new unRAID array.

Feel free to give it a trial run. I think it's a fantastic solution for home media servers.
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

What file system are your current data drives formatted with? unRAID allows you to use filled disks but only if they are already formatted with the ReiserFS, XFS or Btrfs filesystems. But not ext4 or NTFS.

So if they are formatted with NTFS for example, you would need to add at least 2 drives to the unRAID array (1 parity, 1 data) and then one by one you could transfer data from your old disks to the new array adding each drive to the array after you've copied the data off it to the new unRAID array.

Feel free to give it a trial run. I think it's a fantastic solution for home media servers.

NTFS. Would the drives be readable of I pulled it out of unraid and put it into another pc? What If I lose more then one drive, would all my data become unreadable?
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmjs View Post

NTFS. Would the drives be readable of I pulled it out of unraid and put it into another pc? What If I lose more then one drive, would all my data become unreadable?

unRAID is similar to FlexRAID in that if you lose more than one drive, you only lose the data on the drives you lose. So all your working drives would be recoverable. You can pull a drive out of your unRAID array and access the files off a Windows PC using something like fsproxy.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

unRAID is similar to FlexRAID in that if you lose more than one drive, you only lose the data on the drives you lose. So all your working drives would be recoverable. You can pull a drive out of your unRAID array and access the files off a Windows PC using something like fsproxy.

So what would you suggest for hardware?
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmjs View Post

So what would you suggest for hardware?

You said your budget is $1,200-$1,500? This is only going to be a media center or you may want to expand it to other users in the future? Without knowing too much I'd suggest either the new Xeon E3 v5 CPUs or a Xeon D-1500 series CPU depending on you power needs.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

You said your budget is $1,200-$1,500? This is only going to be a media center or you may want to expand it to other users in the future? Without knowing too much I'd suggest either the new Xeon E3 v5 CPUs or a Xeon D-1500 series CPU depending on you power needs.

It will be streaming 4 HTPCs local. 1 Transcoding stream maybe 2 away from home. Then do I need anything extra for cablecards? I was going to get hdhomerun prime. With kodi as the frontend. Also I want the fastest connection possible from my main pc for data transfer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Need help building a Media server.