Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › What do you think of this tweak? Disable NTFS Compression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think of this tweak? Disable NTFS Compression

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Something I do the first thing after installing and OS and reaching the desktop is to run an elevated command prompt and type:

 

fsutil behavior set disablecompression 1

 

that disables NTFS compression. The reason I do this ie because if I don't, after a few days have passed or sometimes immediately, when I go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and the System32\drivers folder I would see a lot of files/ folders in blue meaning they are compressed.

 

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a horrible thing to do? when space is not an issue, why would I ever want to compress any file then it would have to be de-compresssed before being accessed and according to this logic, it means it would make the system less snappier

 

correct me if I'm wrong. what do you think of this tweak?

 

PS: The bigger issue if you buy a PC which already has Windows installed and this tweak wasn't applied, it is almost impossible to reverse the damage since that would mean you would have to take ownership of each file/folder one by one just in order for you to uncompress them, which ultimately may require you to format jut to get rid of this nuisance of compression

post #2 of 12
Off all the things MS has screwed up, file compression isn't one of them.

There's give and take here. Load times will be faster because there's less data to load. but memory latency increases slightly because that's where the decompression takes place. It's hard to benchmark because every system (CPU/memory) is different and file size has an effect on performance. So, I guess there's no real answer.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Off all the things MS has screwed up, file compression isn't one of them.

There's give and take here. Load times will be faster because there's less data to load. but memory latency increases slightly because that's where the decompression takes place. It's hard to benchmark because every system (CPU/memory) is different and file size has an effect on performance. So, I guess there's no real answer.

Well at least there's no harm in doing it from what you say so I'd rather keep using this tweak then as I don't like my stuff to be compressed.

post #4 of 12
Yea. I, on the other hand, use it on everything.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
You are probably saving a super minimal amount of CPU utilization (time spend compressing/decompressing), maybe at the expense of a little more I/O utilization (reading/ writing larger filesizes).


Isn't NTFS compression disabled by default? I think the only time I have ever seen OEM systems configured with NTFS compression enabled is on Thin Clients or Tablets that only shipped with <16gb of storage.
Edited by BinaryDemon - 11/3/15 at 10:16am
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus666 View Post

I don't like my stuff to be compressed.

Not everyone enjoys efficient use of disk space I guess.

You might as well convert all of your images to BMP and watch uncompressed video streams..
Das Rig, Ja?
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Asus Crosshair VI EVGA 1080Ti SC2 2x16G GSkill RGB 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500 GB 960 EVO Enermax T50A-BVT Windows 10 Pro 27" Asus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K350 EVGA 1600G2 Fractal Define C Rosewill M55 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Das Rig, Ja?
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Asus Crosshair VI EVGA 1080Ti SC2 2x16G GSkill RGB 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500 GB 960 EVO Enermax T50A-BVT Windows 10 Pro 27" Asus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K350 EVGA 1600G2 Fractal Define C Rosewill M55 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

You are probably saving a super minimal amount of CPU utilization (time spend compressing/decompressing), maybe at the expense of a little more I/O utilization (reading/ writing larger filesizes).


Isn't NTFS compression disabled by default? I think the only time I have ever seen OEM systems configured with NTFS compression enabled is on Thin Clients or Tablets that only shipped with <16gb of storage.

nope NTFS compression is enabled by default on Windows 7, 8, and 10

 

it's in the registry, the value by default for disablentfscompression is 0 (which means it's enabled, hence why I do this tweak the first thing when I see the desktop after installing Windows then restart immediately)

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post


Not everyone enjoys efficient use of disk space I guess.

You might as well convert all of your images to BMP and watch uncompressed video streams..

those are 2 different things, I want MP3s, compressed video, etc to save space and still get good quality. I don't want my bloody drivers and system files to be compressed and make my system less snappy.

post #9 of 12
Essentially useless.

Windows, by default, does not compress any files it frequently accesses. It saves compression for things like installer files, backups, etc.

Disabling compression will make accessing/modifying said files faster, but the typical user does this so infrequently that that you're essentially just wasting space for no good reason.

It would be like living in a desert and carrying an umbrella in your pocket at all times instead of just leaving it in your car. In the rare occurrence of rain, it will make accessing the umbrella a little bit faster, but most of the time it will just take up space in your pocket and be pointless and inconvenient.
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Essentially useless.

Windows, by default, does not compress any files it frequently accesses. It saves compression for things like installer files, backups, etc.

Disabling compression will make accessing/modifying said files faster, but the typical user does this so infrequently that that you're essentially just wasting space for no good reason.

It would be like living in a desert and carrying an umbrella in your pocket at all times instead of just leaving it in your car. In the rare occurrence of rain, it will make accessing the umbrella a little bit faster, but most of the time it will just take up space in your pocket and be pointless and inconvenient.


Space is not an issue at all, I use like 20% of the total space of the SSD only.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › What do you think of this tweak? Disable NTFS Compression