Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Youtube/IGN] Warcraft Movie Teaser Trailer Released (Updated)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Youtube/IGN] Warcraft Movie Teaser Trailer Released (Updated) - Page 6

post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsm View Post

Video game movies are almost guaranteed to be awful simply because of their target demo. I'm not trying to say I wasn't part of that demo many years ago, but that doesn't make the media it produces any more tolerable. There can always be exceptions of course, and while Warcraft doesn't look to be one of them, I guess it looks a little better than most?

No they're not. They've only been terrible because of the people working on them and how video games are viewed by the movie industry. That's changing, though, and now we have talented people like Duncan Jones or Justin Kurzel working on them, not people like Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson who have made the majority of video game movies up until this point with none of them being anything more than "alright". Larger budgets also help a lot.

Also, their target demo is probably a lot wider than you think.
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

No they're not. They've only been terrible because of the people working on them and how video games are viewed by the movie industry. That's changing, though, and now we have talented people like Duncan Jones or Justin Kurzel working on them, not people like Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson who have made the majority of video game movies up until this point with none of them being anything more than "alright". Larger budgets also help a lot.
Game movies are a product before anything else with the producers controlling everything, so I don't think hiring talented directors will go very far.

Of course my definition of a good movie likely differs from most people here anyway, so it's really all moot.
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

No they're not. They've only been terrible because of the people working on them and how video games are viewed by the movie industry. That's changing, though, and now we have talented people like Duncan Jones or Justin Kurzel working on them, not people like Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson who have made the majority of video game movies up until this point with none of them being anything more than "alright". Larger budgets also help a lot.

Also, their target demo is probably a lot wider than you think.

I mostly agree with this sentiment.

I mean for God's sake they screwed up a Max Payne movie...how the hell do you screw up a Max Payne movie? The premise has been done so many times already, the only thing that adds non-generic flavor is the film noir overtones.
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsm View Post

Game movies are a product before anything else with the producers controlling everything, so I don't think hiring talented directors will go very far.

Of course my definition of a good movie likely differs from most people here anyway, so it's really all moot.

My point with the directors is that it shows that these movies are being taken seriously and by the right people. We have a younger generation of movie makers coming up in the industry that do have respect for the source material and will have a good idea of what they're working with.

You can tell this movie is going to be different just based on its approach. They're actually embracing the source material rather than completely butchering it to the point where it only resembles the source material by name only. Of course, that doesn't mean it will be a good movie. I just don't think it should be judged based on the currently poor track record of video game movies.
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

My point with the directors is that it shows that these movies are being taken seriously and by the right people. We have a younger generation of movie makers coming up in the industry that do have respect for the source material and will have a good idea of what they're working with.

You can tell this movie is going to be different just based on its approach. They're actually embracing the source material rather than completely butchering it to the point where it only resembles the source material by name only. Of course, that doesn't mean it will be a good movie. I just don't think it should be judged based on the currently poor track record of video game movies.
I'm not judging on the track record of video game movies, as I first said, I'm judging it primarily on it's target audience. The producers will use the talent of the director to make the most efficient product they can, and I find those kinds of movies a real shame.
post #56 of 57
I would recommend for everyone to open the comment section and read some of the comments to understand why blizzard has made the movie as it is.

As for why we need a Warcraft movie , blizzard has to start from somewwhere and I would rather them begin with the warcraft game lore instead of just hopping into World of Warcraft so we dont have another Star Wars where the first episode was the last one released not vice versa and plus like most of the people mentioned $
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsm View Post

I'm not judging on the track record of video game movies, as I first said, I'm judging it primarily on it's target audience. The producers will use the talent of the director to make the most efficient product they can, and I find those kinds of movies a real shame.

Legendary isn't too bad when it comes to stuff like that so I don't think it will be a problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Youtube/IGN] Warcraft Movie Teaser Trailer Released (Updated)