Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Official] Samsung 950 PRO Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Samsung 950 PRO Owners Club - Page 61

post #601 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooRules View Post

Agree with previous posters. Single 950 is probably best. One for OS and one for storage would be best of both worlds. Reads scale very poorly at this point, writes scale very well, and 4k numbers are very good for R0.
I did loads of testing in R0 with both my 950's before settling on one for OS and one for storage. Here is an example of what the numbers looked like in R0


See the post above mine, or read this article here for why that's not necessarily the case: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Triple-M2-Samsung-950-Pro-Z170-PCIe-NVMe-RAID-Tested-Why-So-Snappy/Latency-Distribut

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #602 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypickaxe View Post

See the post above mine, or read this article here for why that's not necessarily the case: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Triple-M2-Samsung-950-Pro-Z170-PCIe-NVMe-RAID-Tested-Why-So-Snappy/Latency-Distribut

It's not really about the scaling, it's about the usage, i mean yeah you got triple speeds, but then what are you gonna use that for? You think games will load 3x as fast?
post #603 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

It's not really about the scaling, it's about the usage, i mean yeah you got triple speeds, but then what are you gonna use that for? You think games will load 3x as fast?

Just some examples: Virtual machines, development (local relational databases, etc.) and potentially video editing (transferring large files from one very fast storage subsystem to another for backup.)

Note the third page of the performance review indicated the lower latency and observable perceived improvement in over all system "snappiness" booting from that RAID array.

This is all real world stuff. I'm not talking about "games."
Edited by mypickaxe - 2/1/16 at 1:33pm
post #604 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypickaxe View Post

Just some examples: Virtual machines, development (local relational databases, etc.) and potentially video editing (transferring large files from one very fast storage subsystem to another for backup.)

Note the third page of the performance review indicated the lower latency and observable perceived improvement in over all system "snappiness" booting from that RAID array.

This is all real world stuff. I'm not talking about "games."

Yes i know there are some usage for this, but but for us gamers who just want speeds, this is pointless.
post #605 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

Yes i know there are some usage for this, but but for us gamers who just want speeds, this is pointless.

I didn't know the only point of RAID for SSDs was gaming. That's fine, this is a general usage forum, not a gaming specific one.
post #606 of 1900
Guys I was gonna buy a 950 pro today at micro center but screwed up and bought a 850 evo pci ssd instead. The good thing is that the 850 is a bit cheaper and is double the storage (500gb instead of 250) The problem is that I already have a sata 500 gb 850 evo and now just have a m.2 version and not a faster ssd. This ssd was gonna be my main ssd for my os, main programs, and favorite couple games. The problem with return it is its a 1 hour drive to micro center and takes up about 2 in half hours of my day and thats a lot of effort unless its worth it. At this point is going back to exchange one of my 850 evos to a 950 worth it or no?

Here you can see my build except I now have 2 850 evo, one sata and one m.2 slot instead of one 850 for all my programs and games and one 950 pro as my boot drive and for main programs and favorite games.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/soccerninja_21/saved/#view=sbVV3C
(Pcpartpicker doesnt have the 850 evo in the m.2 version which I didn't even know existed and how I got the wrong ssd in the first place.)
post #607 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post

Guys I was gonna buy a 950 pro today at micro center but screwed up and bought a 850 evo pci ssd instead. The good thing is that the 850 is a bit cheaper and is double the storage (500gb instead of 250) The problem is that I already have a sata 500 gb 850 evo and now just have a m.2 version and not a faster ssd. This ssd was gonna be my main ssd for my os, main programs, and favorite couple games. The problem with return it is its a 1 hour drive to micro center and takes up about 2 in half hours of my day and thats a lot of effort unless its worth it. At this point is going back to exchange one of my 850 evos to a 950 worth it or no?

Here you can see my build except I now have 2 850 evo, one sata and one m.2 slot instead of one 850 for all my programs and games and one 950 pro as my boot drive and for main programs and favorite games.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/soccerninja_21/saved/#view=sbVV3C
(Pcpartpicker doesnt have the 850 evo in the m.2 version which I didn't even know existed and how I got the wrong ssd in the first place.)

It depends on your use case, but if it's the same price I'd return it, provided the Microcenter isn't too far away from your home as to make it an expensive trip. As far as whether or not you'll see a big difference in performance, I'll tell you, probably not. If you were coming from an HDD, definitely you would, but from an 850 EVO to the 950 Pro, unless you have a very specific usage model, you most likely won't feel it much in day to day use. I'd probably go for the space vs the speed to be honest, but then again I have a little bit of everything.
post #608 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypickaxe View Post

It depends on your use case, but if it's the same price I'd return it, provided the Microcenter isn't too far away from your home as to make it an expensive trip. As far as whether or not you'll see a big difference in performance, I'll tell you, probably not. If you were coming from an HDD, definitely you would, but from an 850 EVO to the 950 Pro, unless you have a very specific usage model, you most likely won't feel it much in day to day use. I'd probably go for the space vs the speed to be honest, but then again I have a little bit of everything.
Well I haven't tried the system yet, the ssd is coming it's just a matter of switching it from one to the other before I build it (my first system)
I also don't think I need so much space so I will try to switch it.. Its not an expensive trip just bothersome, takes up like 3 hours in a day and im a pretty busy kid with school, wrestling, dancing
post #609 of 1900
Is it normal, that I am experiencing slower boot times than my old Kingston HyperX 3K SSD? I have maybe 3-4 startup programs, but boot times are always 20+ seconds... Full specs in sig
post #610 of 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Scotty1 View Post

Is it normal, that I am experiencing slower boot times than my old Kingston HyperX 3K SSD? I have maybe 3-4 startup programs, but boot times are always 20+ seconds... Full specs in sig
Ppl in this thread are saying this since the beginning. Afaik its due to X99 ?
Not sure.
My pc boots in 10-12 secs(from the press of the button till I see the desktop) and thats with 2x840 pro 256GB in raid0 therefore I'm still waiting for the fix of boot times @950Pro.
Not sure if this is happening with Z97 tho redface.gif but I don't feel confident spending too much $$ on somethign that will slow my system down...


Feel free to compare this with yours... devil.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Official] Samsung 950 PRO Owners Club