Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Bringing back my Wave Master from the dead!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bringing back my Wave Master from the dead!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have a Cooler Master Wave Master that I want to mod and was wondering of what you might suggest. I'd prefer to keep the overall structure as much as possible and want to avoid water cooling (I'm not a huge fan) - simplicity can be elegant.

I'm planning on removing the 5.25 and 3.5 bays and mounting two 180 mm SilverStone fans (not sure which one yet, either FM181s or AP182s) at the front. This should help a lot, but the intakes are still quite restrictive.

This has been a huge love-hate relationship for me. I love how the Wave Master looks and hate the terrible air flow! I'm normally a function over form kind of guy, but well, just look at it! xD

post #2 of 9
Nice old case, but not easy for mod to optimum airflow.

Not sure I would go with 180mm fans. Will need to think about that.
The best source of info on 180mm fans is ThermalBench. Geggeg has tested several 180mm fans on radiator so you can see which ones flow air at low noise the best.

Best panels for airflow are bottom and back because they can be modded without changing the look of case. only problem with bottom is for better airflow case should have about 45mm clearance.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data/0_20#post_22657923

Front venting is a problem because of airflow into case and fans. Bottom and back work for obvious reasons. Top and possibly sides are an option depending on if you are okay with putting vents in with grills that would blend with the case theme.

What do you plan to put in it? CPU clearance is limited too with case being 198mm wide. What is the distance from motherboard tray to inside of side cover?
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Nice old case, but not easy for mod to optimum airflow.

Not sure I would go with 180mm fans. Will need to think about that.
The best source of info on 180mm fans is ThermalBench. Geggeg has tested several 180mm fans on radiator so you can see which ones flow air at low noise the best.

Best panels for airflow are bottom and back because they can be modded without changing the look of case. only problem with bottom is for better airflow case should have about 45mm clearance.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data/0_20#post_22657923

Front venting is a problem because of airflow into case and fans. Bottom and back work for obvious reasons. Top and possibly sides are an option depending on if you are okay with putting vents in with grills that would blend with the case theme.

What do you plan to put in it? CPU clearance is limited too with case being 198mm wide. What is the distance from motherboard tray to inside of side cover?

I was considering a side fan, but this will possibly limit the CPU cooler height even more. I'm also concerned about hot air being recirculated.

What do you think about a 180 mm fan at the top-front, angled towards the CPU area and another 180 mm at the bottom-front, angled towards the GPU area (though, the clearance is only about 10 mm)?

4690K, Maximus Gene VII, MSI GTX 970. I have a Thermalright Macho Rev B cooler, but obviously this won't fit. Also, a Seasonic 520W (passively cooled) - I will have to change the PSU or add vents to the case directly above the PSU.

The distance is about 160 mm, give or take a mm.

I would consider more extensive mods, maybe swapping around the PSU and motherboard location. This would be great for a water-cooling setup! xD

I will post some photos of the actual case soon.

Thanks for the help smile.gif
Edited by strangequark - 11/8/15 at 2:14am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangequark View Post

I was considering a side fan, but this will possibly limit the CPU cooler height even more. I'm also concerned about hot air being recirculated.

What do you think about a 180 mm fan at the top-front, angled towards the CPU area and another 180 mm at the bottom-front, angled towards the GPU area (though, the clearance is only about 10 mm)?

4690K, Maximus Gene VII, MSI GTX 970. I have a Thermalright Macho Rev B cooler, but obviously this won't fit. Also, a Seasonic 520W (passively cooled) - I will have to change the PSU or add vents to the case directly above the PSU.

The distance is about 160 mm, give or take a mm.

I would consider more extensive mods, maybe swapping around the PSU and motherboard location. This would be great for a water-cooling setup! xD

I will post some photos of the actual case soon.

Thanks for the help smile.gif
With 160mm from surface of motherboard tray to side cover you have about 144mm CPU clearance.

I see no reason to use 180mm fans when cooling area is 160mm wide. 140mm fans will work great .. not to mention grill and filter availability is much better for 140mm.

The airflow area of front vent is quite small. I don't know if it is even big enough for good airlfow to a 140mm fan.

Why do you need to change the PSU?

Here is quick back vent area I would suggest and how it would compare to 3x 140mm intake fans. Generally 3x 140 fans with speed controlled same as CPU and GPU cooler fans works very well.

If you want to use this back venting, keep a copy of drawing, because I do not keep them. wink.gif
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
deleted
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

With 160mm from surface of motherboard tray to side cover you have about 144mm CPU clearance.

I see no reason to use 180mm fans when cooling area is 160mm wide. 140mm fans will work great .. not to mention grill and filter availability is much better for 140mm.

The airflow area of front vent is quite small. I don't know if it is even big enough for good airlfow to a 140mm fan.

Why do you need to change the PSU?

Here is quick back vent area I would suggest and how it would compare to 3x 140mm intake fans. Generally 3x 140 fans with speed controlled same as CPU and GPU cooler fans works very well.

If you want to use this back venting, keep a copy of drawing, because I do not keep them. wink.gif

Only 144 mm, damn, maybe a Thermalright True Spirit 120M will squeeze in (145 mm high).

I meant adding some vents to the top and mounting a fan there, angled towards the CPU area. Same for the bottom but towards the GPU area. Sorry for not being clear.

There's not much clearance above the PSU area and probably not a good idea to have a passively cooled PSU with the vents facing down.

Thanks for the diagram. I have some spare 180 mm fans, but I guess I could use 140 mm fans, any recommendations?

I'd +REP you, but you have 1024! xP
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangequark View Post

Only 144 mm, damn, maybe a Thermalright True Spirit 120M will squeeze in (145 mm high).

I meant adding some vents to the top and mounting a fan there, angled towards the CPU area. Same for the bottom but towards the GPU area. Sorry for not being clear.

There's not much clearance above the PSU area and probably not a good idea to have a passively cooled PSU with the vents facing down.

Thanks for the diagram. I have some spare 180 mm fans, but I guess I could use 140 mm fans, any recommendations?

I'd +REP you, but you have 1024! xP
LOL. The 1024 will change soon anyway. wink.gif

An intake on top near the front of case would probably help. One in place of the 5.25" bays will not .. no vent to supply air to it.
The PSU should be mounted with it's bottom vent above mobo .. so air flow into it and out the back of case. My suggested airflow will increase the flow of air through the PSU.
3 or 4 good pressure 140mm fans are all that is needed. No exhaust fans at all. Don't angle them, just bottom in, front in, top near front in. The air from bottom will flow right to GPU while front and top will flow to CPU.
Trying to move the air too fast will cause it to get erratic and allow more of the heated exhaust air from components mix in and raise it's temp.

Think of it as a stream running along with some dirty water running in from the side. The speeds, angles of stream and muddy water determine how it flows and mixes in, but so do the rocks, logs, etc in stream, as well as shape of stream banks and turns.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

LOL. The 1024 will change soon anyway. wink.gif

An intake on top near the front of case would probably help. One in place of the 5.25" bays will not .. no vent to supply air to it.
The PSU should be mounted with it's bottom vent above mobo .. so air flow into it and out the back of case. My suggested airflow will increase the flow of air through the PSU.
3 or 4 good pressure 140mm fans are all that is needed. No exhaust fans at all. Don't angle them, just bottom in, front in, top near front in. The air from bottom will flow right to GPU while front and top will flow to CPU.
Trying to move the air too fast will cause it to get erratic and allow more of the heated exhaust air from components mix in and raise it's temp.

Think of it as a stream running along with some dirty water running in from the side. The speeds, angles of stream and muddy water determine how it flows and mixes in, but so do the rocks, logs, etc in stream, as well as shape of stream banks and turns.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Won't the fans being angled help direct the air to the CPU and GPU? The way I like to think about this is that energy is required to change the direction of the air, so why not angle the fans to minimise the deviation and hence energy losses. Or are these losses negligible? I'm also concerned because the overall air flow will be less direct than say the TJ08-E or FT05.

Using 180 mm fans was just me trying a brute-force approach, I figured the Wave Master, otherwise known as an oven, would need it tongue.gif

Damn, I have been spoiled by SilverStone's excellent cases.

There's actually room for two 140 mm fans at the top (after removing the top USB ports).

I also have an ATC 110 SX2, which has the same internal structure as the Wave Master, so I will probably be doing similar mods to this as well!

EDIT - Nevermind, even if angled fans helped, mounting them is more impractical.
Edited by strangequark - 11/8/15 at 9:02am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangequark View Post

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Won't the fans being angled help direct the air to the CPU and GPU? The way I like to think about this is that energy is required to change the direction of the air, so why not angle the fans to minimise the deviation and hence energy losses. Or are these losses negligible? I'm also concerned because the overall air flow will be less direct than say the TJ08-E or FT05.

Using 180 mm fans was just me trying a brute-force approach, I figured the Wave Master, otherwise known as an oven, would need it tongue.gif

Damn, I have been spoiled by SilverStone's excellent cases.

There's actually room for two 140 mm fans at the top (after removing the top USB ports).

I also have an ATC 110 SX2, which has the same internal structure as the Wave Master, so I will probably be doing similar mods to this as well!

EDIT - Nevermind, even if angled fans helped, mounting them is more impractical.
really 3x 140mm fans move lots of air. Case only needs 1.2 to 1.5 times as much airflow as CPU and GPU fans use .. assuming this cool intake is flowing to them and then pushing all their heated exhaust out the back. That's why a front to back flow is best.

In your case (no pun) 2x 140s in bottom are more than enough for GPU, and 1x front with is probalby enough for CPU, defnitely enough for TRUE Spirit 120 or similar.

Another option is to have a divider between back of GPU and CPU cooler and between bottom fans and front fan up to GPU. This would keep CPU air separate from GPU air as well as help push the heated exhaust back and out of case. If need on GPU, another divider could be added on same plane as side panel from bottom up to GPU fan shroud. This would both separate the GPU heated exhaust from cool intake and force the cool into directly to the GPU.

Modding is fun. I really enjoy getting super performance systems very cool in silent or near silent systems. Especially in old cases. "Sleepers" is an old hotrod term for a cars that look normal until their driver punches it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Bringing back my Wave Master from the dead!