Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PCGHW]Fallout 4 in art test with benchmarks for release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCGHW]Fallout 4 in art test with benchmarks for release - Page 27

post #261 of 701
Another bad Bethesda game riddled with performance problems, poor graphics and gameplay-related bugs? I am honestly not surprised considering it has been that way with Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3.

Bethesda really relies on the modding scene as a crutch for their own ineptness. If you have a modding scene that fixes their game for free and people continue to purchase the game, I suppose I can see why Bethesda keeps on releasing such incoherent code masquerading as a AAA game.
post #262 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

The problems seem to lie with your eyes as they can't detect those awful textures.

Modders will fix it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #263 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

lol tongue.gif
but if you squint and imagine AMD doesn't have overhead then 390 is better.
post #264 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

Well said. thumb.gif Why is it that AMD GE titles do not show these CPU driver overhead ? AMD rocks in Starwars Battlefront which uses the latest Frostbite engine. GCN performs very well on Cryengine and Frostbite engine games. Its very clear that every time a game is a TWIMTBP / Gameworks title it sucks on AMD cards. Then after lots of game patches and driver updates the gap reduces a bit. But still the game runs vastly better on Nvidia cards. Contrast that to AMD GE titles which run well on AMD and Nvidia cards from day 1. This is the fundamental difference. Nvidia's Gameworks / TWIMTBP program produces unoptimized dog crap. The visuals do not justify the performance. Almost every single Gameworks game in the last 12 months is an embarrasment at launch. Buggy, underperforming and sometimes runs like crap even on Nvidia Kepler GPUs.


Exactly. Games like GTA V, Witcher 3 run well on AMD GPUs. So blaming AMD CPU driver overhead for lazy developers and their poor code optimizations is just passing the blame.
of course there are even AMD games with huge overhead. What are you talking about? This coming from you?
Far Cry 3 for example.
post #265 of 701
AMD users should force 8x tessellation in CCC.
Not dipping below 55fps in areas with heavy godrays when application preferred settings was taking it down to 25fps, 15fps scope'd. (All launcher settings maxed in 1440p)
post #266 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post

AMD users should force 8x tessellation in CCC.
Not dipping below 55fps in areas with heavy godrays when application preferred settings was taking it down to 25fps, 15fps scope'd. (All launcher settings maxed in 1440p)


its primarily just a godray issue with performance. Its probably better to first change godrays to low/off (depending on GPU, already proven for the most part to be overly taxing on hardware) as a primary way to push for FPS. IIRC the next in line for performance tweaks would be either shadows of foliage density changes in the game.

If anyone wants an eventual neutral approach, ENB's in general generally have a god ray function. So once boris finishes a ENB update for FO4, it can potentially help those users with lower performance(assuming that ENB's implantation is less performance heavy)
Obligatory Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-M Pro Sapphire Reference 290 w/ Aquacomputer Kryogeni... Samsung Low Voltage 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue PNY XLR8 Swiftech H220 + Swiftech 120mm Rad Acer P216HL Black 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Legend Rosewill Hive 550w Silverstone PS07B-W Mionix Avior 7000 
Mouse Pad
Custom Artscow Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Obligatory Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-M Pro Sapphire Reference 290 w/ Aquacomputer Kryogeni... Samsung Low Voltage 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue PNY XLR8 Swiftech H220 + Swiftech 120mm Rad Acer P216HL Black 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Legend Rosewill Hive 550w Silverstone PS07B-W Mionix Avior 7000 
Mouse Pad
Custom Artscow Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #267 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

Well said. thumb.gif Why is it that AMD GE titles do not show these CPU driver overhead ? AMD rocks in Starwars Battlefront which uses the latest Frostbite engine. GCN performs very well on Cryengine and Frostbite engine games. Its very clear that every time a game is a TWIMTBP / Gameworks title it sucks on AMD cards. Then after lots of game patches and driver updates the gap reduces a bit. But still the game runs vastly better on Nvidia cards. Contrast that to AMD GE titles which run well on AMD and Nvidia cards from day 1. This is the fundamental difference. Nvidia's Gameworks / TWIMTBP program produces unoptimized dog crap. The visuals do not justify the performance. Almost every single Gameworks game in the last 12 months is an embarrasment at launch. Buggy, underperforming and sometimes runs like crap even on Nvidia Kepler GPUs.


Exactly. Games like GTA V, Witcher 3 run well on AMD GPUs. So blaming AMD CPU driver overhead for lazy developers and their poor code optimizations is just passing the blame.

When you run gameworks on an AMD card, it doesn't have the hardware specifically to run the libraries.
So many times when someone or a review insist on using gameworks on AMD cards, the driver is doing a lot more work than usual, so the drivers overhead is not BS. The same as with async on the nvidia drivers.. At current state, heavy async runs will bring overhead on the nvidia drivers because how they implemented it.

This is how it is designed, and there is in general, nothing wrong with it.

As long as people understand that gameworks can be turned off for AMD (or nvidia), there would be less arguments about performance because of gameworks. It's like trying to push a fiat punto to 200mph and when unsuccessful, claim it is all volkswagen's fault...
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #268 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post

AMD users should force 8x tessellation in CCC.
Not dipping below 55fps in areas with heavy godrays when application preferred settings was taking it down to 25fps, 15fps scope'd. (All launcher settings maxed in 1440p)

On witcher 3 and metal gear solid 5 for example, AMD updated their drivers to force less tessellation. This will most likely happen here as well to fix some of the performance issues.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #269 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

When you run gameworks on an AMD card, it doesn't have the hardware specifically to run the libraries.
So many times when someone or a review insist on using gameworks on AMD cards, the driver is doing a lot more work than usual, so the drivers overhead is not BS. The same as with async on the nvidia drivers.. At current state, heavy async runs will bring overhead on the nvidia drivers because how they implemented it.

This is how it is designed, and there is in general, nothing wrong with it.

As long as people understand that gameworks can be turned off for AMD (or nvidia), there would be less arguments about performance because of gameworks. It's like trying to push a fiat punto to 200mph and when unsuccessful, claim it is all volkswagen's fault...

Or you know, reviewers could make two different pages then? One with AMD VS Nvidia without GW and then one for GW and Nvidia to show what you "win" with turning those options on in the first place. As for this game, you win absolutely nothing turning god rays to ultra but it sure as heck gimps AMD (and even Nvidia for some part)
AMD
(13 items)
 
Intel
(7 items)
 
Home Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A99FX Pro MSI Radeon R9-280x MSI Radeon R9-280x 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial Ballistics 8GB DDR3 Cruical MX100 128GB SSD Samsung DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Technical Preview Philips 55PFS6909/12 Logitech MX3200 Chieftec 750W 
Mouse
Khaos Limited Edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U ACER BA50 AMD HD8750M 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
750GB HDD Windows 10 TP 15,6" 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
AMD Opteron 2373EE AMD Opteron 2373EE Dell Socket Fr5 XGI® Z9s with 32MB DDRII VRAM 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
32GB DDRII ECC 1TB HDD 7200rpm N/A Passive 
OSPowerCase
Ubuntu Server 600W Dell PowerEdge CS24-NV7 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD
(13 items)
 
Intel
(7 items)
 
Home Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A99FX Pro MSI Radeon R9-280x MSI Radeon R9-280x 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial Ballistics 8GB DDR3 Cruical MX100 128GB SSD Samsung DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Technical Preview Philips 55PFS6909/12 Logitech MX3200 Chieftec 750W 
Mouse
Khaos Limited Edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U ACER BA50 AMD HD8750M 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
750GB HDD Windows 10 TP 15,6" 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
AMD Opteron 2373EE AMD Opteron 2373EE Dell Socket Fr5 XGI® Z9s with 32MB DDRII VRAM 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
32GB DDRII ECC 1TB HDD 7200rpm N/A Passive 
OSPowerCase
Ubuntu Server 600W Dell PowerEdge CS24-NV7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #270 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

Or you know, reviewers could make two different pages then? One with AMD VS Nvidia without GW and then one for GW and Nvidia to show what you "win" with turning those options on in the first place. As for this game, you win absolutely nothing turning god rays to ultra but it sure as heck gimps AMD (and even Nvidia for some part)
that's the whole problem. most reviews are just sloppy. first off all, the right way to do it is at what quality settings the card will run at 60 fps, not turning on everything and then comparing. nvidia publishes whole pages of interactive comparisons with estimated framerate toll on their website, even they tell you only to use the GW features that you want and need, not to use too many and ruin the performance. gw features should not be treated as obligatory, but high end cards should have benches with both gw on and gw off. I remember running 1440p / 60fps on my 290 was all about testing the settings, and in the end it was possible to achieve great visual quality and smooth gameplay, just do not turn everything on blindly. The only game it couldn't handle was TW3, even medium settings with gw off couldn't hold 60fps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PCGHW]Fallout 4 in art test with benchmarks for release