Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Single 560mm radiator enough?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Single 560mm radiator enough?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
For my build I'm going to be going with 2 980's. Would a single 560 like a Nemesis 560GTX or 560GTS be enough? I also want to stick with low RPM fans. I'll be using my current XSPC AX360 for my 6700k.
post #2 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainplane3 View Post

For my build I'm going to be going with 2 980's. Would a single 560 like a Nemesis 560GTX or 560GTS be enough? I also want to stick with low RPM fans. I'll be using my current XSPC AX360 for my 6700k.

N = number of components cooled (in your case 3, 2 gpu and 1 CPU)
X = rule of thumb minimum radiator space

(120 * N) + 120 = X




For you it's (120 * 3) + 120 = 480

So as long as you don't go below 480mm of rad space you are good. thumb.gif
post #3 of 29
You'll almost certainly be fine. Grab the HWLabs SR2 560 and run four Phanteks PH-F140SPs at 8V, and you'll be golden.
Edited by gftgy - 11/12/15 at 11:35am
post #4 of 29
this what you need and your worry's will be over

caseless
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 8400 Asrock z370itx/ac GTX 1070 founders G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600  
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
raid 0 256 x2  air stock  LG 29 " 21x9 2k 750 watts gold  
Case
Yes  
  hide details  
Reply
caseless
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 8400 Asrock z370itx/ac GTX 1070 founders G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600  
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
raid 0 256 x2  air stock  LG 29 " 21x9 2k 750 watts gold  
Case
Yes  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gftgy View Post

You'll almost certainly be fine. Grab the HWLabs SR2 560 and run four Phanteks PH-F120SPs at 8V, and you'll be golden.

why put 120mm fans on a 140mm rad? that makes no sense with todays fan tech.

the rule of thumb minimum means nothing. the more heat you put into a radiator the better it works. the higher the delta between water and ambient air you are comfortable with also has a huge role.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

why put 120mm fans on a 140mm rad? that makes no sense with todays fan tech.

the rule of thumb minimum means nothing. the more heat you put into a radiator the better it works. the higher the delta between water and ambient air you are comfortable with also has a huge role.

"Rule of Thumb" means to use your thumb instead of a ruler. As in it's not accurate, but will give you a rough idea if you aren't sure.

Sure if you plugged in ambient temps, thermal radiation and dissipation rates of the surface area of the contact points, the flow rate and volume of the coolant, and about 20 other variables, you could get a quite precise measurement with 99.9% or more accuracy.

Or

Just use the 'ole rule of thumb and be right with 95% accuracy...
post #7 of 29
no. people talk what they hear not what is fact.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=15834219&posted=1#post15834219

a 280 radiator can cool a 3930k overclocked to 4ghz at 1.24v-1.25v and 3x 780s overclocked to 1000mhz with only 2x 1200rpm fans.

you need roughly whatever amount of radiator you want and can fit. its a proven fact. if youd like, go call mr bean a liar and argue with him. this isnt the place for it. if you have testing that says otherwise, pull it out. if not, well, the rule of thumb so many like to spew is wrong and irrelevant. its as bad as jack naylor and his charts.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

no. people talk what they hear not what is fact.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=15834219&posted=1#post15834219

a 280 radiator can cool a 3930k overclocked to 4ghz at 1.24v-1.25v and 3x 780s overclocked to 1000mhz with only 2x 1200rpm fans.

you need roughly whatever amount of radiator you want and can fit. its a proven fact. if youd like, go call mr bean a liar and argue with him. this isnt the place for it. if you have testing that says otherwise, pull it out. if not, well, the rule of thumb so many like to spew is wrong and irrelevant. its as bad as jack naylor and his charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMock View Post

"Rule of Thumb" means to use your thumb instead of a ruler. As in it's not accurate, but will give you a rough idea if you aren't sure.

Sure if you plugged in ambient temps, thermal radiation and dissipation rates of the surface area of the contact points, the flow rate and volume of the coolant, and about 20 other variables, you could get a quite precise measurement with 99.9% or more accuracy.

Or

Just use the 'ole rule of thumb and be right with 95% accuracy...

Highlighted the part you missed.

What type of 280mm radiator? what's the depth, fin style, fins per inch, flow resistance, material used? What kind of fans? what's the static pressure generated at 1200 rpm? Shroud? Are they exhausting with high positive pressure to aid or set to intake? What kind of blocks are used, flow rate, resistance? What is the pump set to?

If you wanna be precise, the face area of a radiator is a worthless number, Volume is what number you should really be looking at since a 10mm thick 280mm rad and a 50mm thick 280mm rad are going to have vastly different thermal dissipation rates.

You aren't wrong in what you say, however, if someone is asking if "X" is enough radiator space, odds are they aren't going to be aware of all those factors either.


The answer of "as much as you can get" is a good answer to the question, but that's not always financially feasible and up to a point diminishing returns kicks in making it wasted effort. As an example, I have two 1080mm radiators, I could get a 3rd, but that would only net me maybe 1 degree lower temps at best. Adding a 4th might net me an extra .5 degree temp improvement.
Edited by DNMock - 11/12/15 at 9:26am
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-illiterate View Post

no. people talk what they hear not what is fact.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=15834219&posted=1#post15834219

a 280 radiator can cool a 3930k overclocked to 4ghz at 1.24v-1.25v and 3x 780s overclocked to 1000mhz with only 2x 1200rpm fans.

you need roughly whatever amount of radiator you want and can fit. its a proven fact. if youd like, go call mr bean a liar and argue with him. this isnt the place for it. if you have testing that says otherwise, pull it out. if not, well, the rule of thumb so many like to spew is wrong and irrelevant. its as bad as jack naylor and his charts.

I agree with @DNMock on this one. The basic concept is that you will get a suggested rough estimate of what you should shoot for with a specific set up. I went with 4x140mm of rad space for my 4790k and 2x 970s in SLI. I picked that because the whole reason I went with water cooling was to use quiet fans. Can you use a 240 rad to cool alot of equipment? Yes, but you will end up with a loud fan set up to wick all that heat away. There are also many other factors to consider like fin density, rad thickness, flow-rates, case size, etc. No one is calling anyone a liar, but I think the formula is a very good way for a beginner to have a decent amount of rad space to start with. It is neither wrong nor irrelevant.
Edited by kl6mk6 - 11/12/15 at 9:22am
post #10 of 29
480 is more than 280. you failed to read my post but instead pointed out what you felt was important to someone besides you.
instead of asking me questions about the set-up, read the test/experiment. knowledge is power. neither of you read that link and you kl6 didnt even read my post or you wouldnt have said anything about noise from the fans.
we have stickies in the forums. very few use them. even sadder is that people dont point out they are there and spoon feed people information. its really annoying when people dont use the search feature and ask for the ten billionth time 'what fans do i use for a rad?'
the forums are failing more and more.
trainplane asked a question. you fed him exactly what 2 stickies say for newbs to have at least some information. if you want me to say nothing to you, either tell people to read the stickies or tell them what the stickies wont. you may as well have answered his question with, yes it will be enough. you accomplished the same thing. a rough idea means nothing when it is irrelevant. if you dont like that, look at what works and what you posted as a rough idea. you posted over twice the rad space. wasted money for some people on a budget. and before you come back whining again, stop and think of this in a way other than you from your hurt point of view.
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
w00t
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
ph2 x20be asus m4a785-m sapphire vapor-x 4850  geil black dragon 1066 5-5-5-15-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd  asus dvd multi-write arctic cooling freezer 64 pro win 7 ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 42" lcd logitech wireless antec basic 500watt old dell crap 
MouseAudio
logitech wireless pioneer 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Single 560mm radiator enough?