Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Neowin] Microsoft rolls out its first big update to Windows 10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Neowin] Microsoft rolls out its first big update to Windows 10 - Page 15  

post #141 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

Nope, doesn't work. Tried it with win 7/8/8.1 pro keys on the image downloaded from that link.

Also would really not be logical to allow this as they offer free upgrades only for a first year of win10 release...

People have reported that if you had windows 7/8/8.1 on your machine you should be able to do this. I cant personally confirm this myself though, but it seems legit to me. It's not like you can grab a win 7 code from any machine and install it on your pc.

Pretty much means you can skip the upgrade install and do a fresh install if you had or have win 7-8.1 on your machine currently and it was activated with that code on your machine, at least that's the way I understand it.

Is that what you tried?
Hasy-E
(19 items)
 
Westy-EP
(14 items)
 
NP8153
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Intel® HM170 Express Chipset NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB M2 HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 15.6" 1080P IPS with G-SYNC Technology 
Keyboard
Color illuminated keyboard 
  hide details  
Hasy-E
(19 items)
 
Westy-EP
(14 items)
 
NP8153
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Intel® HM170 Express Chipset NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB M2 HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 15.6" 1080P IPS with G-SYNC Technology 
Keyboard
Color illuminated keyboard 
  hide details  
post #142 of 177
Microsoft would have had more luck just making a freeware version of Windows 10 (no remote desktop/homegroup/Cortana/Onedrive/Windows Store) for everyone and anyone, no questions asked. Then just give us a nag screen to pay and upgrade to the full version. Other software works this way and is still successful. Other software has crippled freeware versions of itself.

Instead, we are hassled by having the prerequisite of owing a previous fully-functioning operating system, just to upgrade to "new and improved" one and not knowing what MS has in store for user down the road.
Edited by aweir - 11/16/15 at 8:15am
post #143 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post

Nope, doesn't work. Tried it with win 7/8/8.1 pro keys on the image downloaded from that link.

Also would really not be logical to allow this as they offer free upgrades only for a first year of win10 release...

It is working. This is only for first time you upgrade from 7/8 to 10. You can skip the notification upgrade or the media tool and install a clean W10 right away and use your old key. This is only if your PC is eligible for the upgrade. If it's not working for you then something must went wrong.
post #144 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooface View Post

People have reported that if you had windows 7/8/8.1 on your machine you should be able to do this. I cant personally confirm this myself though, but it seems legit to me. It's not like you can grab a win 7 code from any machine and install it on your pc.
Pretty much means you can skip the upgrade install and do a fresh install if you had or have win 7-8.1 on your machine currently and it was activated with that code on your machine, at least that's the way I understand it.
Is that what you tried?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post

It is working. This is only for first time you upgrade from 7/8 to 10. You can skip the notification upgrade or the media tool and install a clean W10 right away and use your old key. This is only if your PC is eligible for the upgrade. If it's not working for you then something must went wrong.

All of my keys are eligible for upgrade. They are all from open license. And I did upgrade few in vm to see how it works.
What I mean you can't just go on and install clean w10 and use vlc key from win 7/8/8.1 as stated. What does not change anything from previous behavior.
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
post #145 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet View Post


All of my keys are eligible for upgrade. They are all from open license. And I did upgrade few in vm to see how it works.
What I mean you can't just go on and install clean w10 and use vlc key from win 7/8/8.1 as stated. What does not change anything from previous behavior.

Sorry to hear that but it is working I did it with a laptop. Clean install with format and activated it using my W7 key. So yeah it's working. Something else must be the cause of your problem. I can't say what. All I can say is that it worked perfectly for me.
post #146 of 177

I have yet to receive this update. Microsoft can't afford patch servers these days?

post #147 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega X View Post

I have yet to receive this update. Microsoft can't afford patch servers these days?

I read somewhere that you must pass 31 days mark of new W10 installation to get this update. If you installed W10 earlier and you still can't get the update you can use the official media creation tool and upgrade your pc. You have the option to upgrade or make a clean install with it.
post #148 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post

Sorry to hear that but it is working I did it with a laptop. Clean install with format and activated it using my W7 key. So yeah it's working. Something else must be the cause of your problem. I can't say what. All I can say is that it worked perfectly for me.
I guess they could be still ignoring keys in vlsc
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
Skylake
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k Asus Maximus VIII Gene GTX 970 Kingston hyperx Savage  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 PRO NH-D14 Win 7 Philips 60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky SHine 4 TX950 Air 540 G502 
  hide details  
post #149 of 177
Hmm, I just noticed this:



Windows.old folder. Interesting. I don't remember Win 7 making an 'old' folder after its Service Packs (also never looked after 8 was updated to 8.1) were installed. I thought this only happens when you install Windows over an existing copy on the same hd. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
    
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Lepa Aqua Changer 120 LG 29UM67-P FreeSync Corsair K70 SeaSonic SS-860XP2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake Core V21 Mionix Avior 8200 Reflex Lab Pro 36 
  hide details  
    
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Lepa Aqua Changer 120 LG 29UM67-P FreeSync Corsair K70 SeaSonic SS-860XP2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake Core V21 Mionix Avior 8200 Reflex Lab Pro 36 
  hide details  
post #150 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post


I read somewhere that you must pass 31 days mark of new W10 installation to get this update. If you installed W10 earlier and you still can't get the update you can use the official media creation tool and upgrade your pc. You have the option to upgrade or make a clean install with it.

 

I would have probably done a clean install if it weren't for a few pieces of software that are a pain to reactivate afterward. Then there's the possible loss of the DVD software since it doesn't seem to attach to your Microsoft Store Account.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Neowin] Microsoft rolls out its first big update to Windows 10