Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Acer XB271HU- share your experience and show pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Acer XB271HU- share your experience and show pics! - Page 334

post #3331 of 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizgarr View Post

So I am having G-Sync issues with my XB271HU. I've had it for over a month now and recently I noticed that no matter what I did I couldn't make the OSD say that the monitor was in "G-Sync mode". Every time I check, the OSD says that the monitor is operating in normal mode. I have G-sync enabled in the Nvidia control panel for both full screen and windowed mode, I've tried rebooting my computer and the monitor multiple times. I've also tried disconnecting the DP cable while on the desktop and while shutting off the computer and rebooting. If I turn on the G-sync indicator from the Nvidia control panel it does say that G-sync is on when I play Diablo 3.

I just downloaded the Nvidia G-sync pendulum demo and when I load up the demo I cannot select the G-sync box, only the V-sync on or off boxes. This right here seems to prove to me that the g-sync is in fact not working at all.

Before this started happening, I was having the issue where when my computer would fall asleep and then I would wake it up, G-sync mode would turn to normal mode in the monitors OSD but a quick reboot would turn it back on. To fix this, I just changed it so my computer monitors would not sleep and I thought this fixed the problem.

Is anybody else experiencing anything like this? Or is my G-sync module dead?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have the monitor overclocked to 150hz but I have tried turning it down to 144hz and that did not seem to effect anything. Also, I am running a dual screen set-up with a smaller 23' 1080p monitor.

Try running it only in fullscreen mode and see if it turns on. Fullscreen and windowed mode is buggy.
post #3332 of 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post

Try running it only in fullscreen mode and see if it turns on. Fullscreen and windowed mode is buggy.

God damnit, that fixed it. I switched it to Fullscreen mode and then rebooted and now it's showing G-Sync mode.
post #3333 of 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizgarr View Post

God damnit, that fixed it. I switched it to Fullscreen mode and then rebooted and now it's showing G-Sync mode.

While I didn't have all the issues you had, there was one that was driving me nuts. I upgraded my entire system and had previously selected GSYNC to run in Fullscreen and Windowed. While looking at various applications I was experiencing extreme mouse lag for a few seconds, like it'd warp from one side of the screen to the other. Took me days to figure it out, almost re-installed my entire OS before I found an almost hidden google post saying to switch to full screen only.
post #3334 of 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefrusy View Post

The Nvidia drivers are kind of stupid sometimes. On my ROG Swift (TN not IPS), I had to uninstall the driver and install one without GeForce Experience for a while, because it would no longer let me toggle the G-Sync setting. I know it's not the same problem you're having, but I wouldn't be surprised if an uninstall, clean, and reinstall fixes the problem for you.
I am not sure how the driver would prevent the Gsync option from showing up in the monitor's OSD though....
post #3335 of 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post

Try running it only in fullscreen mode and see if it turns on. Fullscreen and windowed mode is buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizgarr View Post

God damnit, that fixed it. I switched it to Fullscreen mode and then rebooted and now it's showing G-Sync mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesgt View Post

I am not sure how the driver would prevent the Gsync option from showing up in the monitor's OSD though....
It definitely sounds like the driver was at fault... I think the reason it wouldn't show up on the monitor's OSD is that the option only appears if it is connected to a graphics card with G-Sync working properly. The driver was probably not correctly telling the monitor that it had G-Sync enabled.

Funny how everyone knocks AMD for bad drivers, but Nvidia's are sometimes just as bad. In this case, it seems that the G-Sync portion of their drivers is still a work in progress. I guess that's the price we pay for cutting-edge technology... it's only been available for about 1.5 years.
post #3336 of 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefrusy View Post



It definitely sounds like the driver was at fault... I think the reason it wouldn't show up on the monitor's OSD is that the option only appears if it is connected to a graphics card with G-Sync working properly. The driver was probably not correctly telling the monitor that it had G-Sync enabled.

Funny how everyone knocks AMD for bad drivers, but Nvidia's are sometimes just as bad. In this case, it seems that the G-Sync portion of their drivers is still a work in progress. I guess that's the price we pay for cutting-edge technology... it's only been available for about 1.5 years.
No offense, but in my experience Nvidia drivers are rock solid. I have been using Nvidia cards for 15 years, and rarely have I had any issues. Specific to this problem where Gsync is not showing up in the OSD, he is one of two people that has reported this on this forum out of all the owners of this monitor.. so it seems to be a fluke thing. He should try:

1. Full uninstall/reinstall of current drivers
2. Full uninstall of current drivers, and install of previous driver version
3. If all else fails, format and clean install of Windows.

If none of those work, I have to think something is up with the actual card or the mobo, both of which should be updated with the latest BIOS.
post #3337 of 7725
Usually the easiest way to fix G-SYNC not appearing in the OSD is to simply use a different DP output on the GPU.
post #3338 of 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesgt View Post

No offense, but in my experience Nvidia drivers are rock solid. I have been using Nvidia cards for 15 years, and rarely have I had any issues. Specific to this problem where Gsync is not showing up in the OSD, he is one of two people that has reported this on this forum out of all the owners of this monitor.. so it seems to be a fluke thing. He should try:

1. Full uninstall/reinstall of current drivers
2. Full uninstall of current drivers, and install of previous driver version
3. If all else fails, format and clean install of Windows.

If none of those work, I have to think something is up with the actual card or the mobo, both of which should be updated with the latest BIOS.
If you read the stuff I quoted, he solved his issue by setting the driver's G-Sync mode from windowed to fullscreen. As I mentioned in previous posts, I personally have had weird driver issues with G-Sync in the past, too. Also, if you read up on G-Sync over the last year and a half, a lot of people on forums complained about things like it didn't work well with SLI, not working well with multiple displays, etc. I am not complaining about Nvidia's drivers in general, just that specifically their G-Sync drivers have a history of being a bit flaky. I think eventually Nvidia will make the G-Sync drivers as solid as the rest of their display drivers.
post #3339 of 7725
New replacement arrived, box sealed on one side, other side had ripped during shipping. It's a Nov '15 model. As opposed to the last 2 which were Oct models.

Backlight bleed is present but not as pronounced as the previous 2 units. Will have to do further testing when it gets dark.

One dead pixel this time... Previous units had stuck pixels, this is my first unit with an actual dead pixel. That's the one thing that's really ticking me off. And this one is a lot closer to the center.

Interestingly, there's no longer 144Hz option in refresh rate in the OSD. The OSD design is also a tad bit different than the last 2 models. This one is bound to all keys, the previous I had a < and > buttons to go through the various options. OSD OC menu shows refresh rates of 150 and goes up to 165. Found that rather interesting.

Also, branding "IPS In-plane switching" on the bottom right is gone, and now there are two stickers "GSYNC" and "Energy star".

Uniformity seems decent from my initial testing.

I've gone ahead and packed the 2nd unit and will be dropping it off at the UPS store. In the meantime I'm giving this unit a week or two before ultimately deciding its faith. Will post pictures of this new unit later this evening.
post #3340 of 7725
My 2nd Amazon order just arrived it's a November unit again, box still sealed with one layer of the factory Acer security tape on both top sides and bottom. There is one issue the shipping box was not damaged but the actual box for the monitor had a big hole on the bottom. I made sure to take plenty of pictures and made a video recording just to be safe incase of any issues. This will be monitor #3 for me, 1st was my Newegg order which was a returned monitor (October build date) with dead pixels and horrendous BLB and my 1st Amazon order (November build date) I thought was perfect to my eyes as far as the monitor's picture quality and it worked fine for about 1 week before it started randomly black screening on me while gaming, browsing, or just idle on the desktop. Only thing that would fix the issue was turning off the main power switch on the back of the monitor and just leaving it off for about 1-2min and it would work again. Needless to say it was annoying and very frustrating trying to game with this issue. Another strange thing that happened with this monitor was that the "Quick Start" option within the monitor's OSD completely disappeared for me on this unit not sure how this happened but I've tried everything I could think of to fix and nothing.

Going to setup the monitor that just arrived shortly and will report back with my findings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Acer XB271HU- share your experience and show pics!