Originally Posted by slickwilly
Maybe applying the epoxy while the chamber is in a vacuum state thus pulling the liquid epoxy in or adding acetone to the mix to thin the epoxy out a little, we used to do this for wood repairs on boats.
You would need to verify that this brand of epoxy is safe to be mixed with a thinner of any kind
this is what I will be doing to the connectors themselves
how do I seal up the trouble spots in the wire to get the chamber to hold a vacuum?
as I stated I only had two spots in my test build that gave me any trouble but this is exactly what I did to fix the leak.
to find the leak for me was easy, I smoke so all I did was blow smoke in the area I thought might be leaking and watch to see where the smoke was being sucked into.
there where two bad wires crimps where the wire attached to the pin inside the connector so I removed the pin from the connector soldered the end of the wire to the pin, by doing this I basically made the end of that wire a solid core wire at the end of it. I put the pin back into the connector and resealed the end of the connector with flex seal.
to seal most of the wire in the connectors was also easy for me, I will try to explain this process the best I can.
ok I have two 1/4 turn valves on my vacuum pump so that I can adjust the amount of suction I put onto any chamber.
when I first went to seal the connectors I had adjusted the valves so that there was a constant vacuum on the chamber but not much, as it was sucking air in from all over the place.
understand the holes that we are talking about here are like .001 in size I could literality seal a hole that size with a drop of oil, true the constant vacuum would eventually pull the oil all the way through the wire and I would be left with the same issue of it leaking, but it would seal it for a short time.
so as I sprayed the flex seal onto the connectors the amount of vacuum on the chamber would rise, and I would adjust my valves to lower the amount of suction as I finished the last connector, the vacuum on the chamber shot way up, so I turned the vacuum pump off and released all the vacuum that was on the chamber, then I let it set for 3 days to make sure the flex seal was dry.
so to summarize I used the vacuum to suck some liquid rubber up in between all the little strands of wire.
it did not work perfectly, but it did seal up most of them right off.