Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Worried about CPU temps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worried about CPU temps - Page 7

post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmatrix2r View Post

Well I'll still get a D15 but I see your point, there are other good ones too. I've been wanting to try Noctua fans for awhile also.
Nice build! You're not using the rubber pins for the noctua rear fan?

no the rubber pins are in the box still. I'm using screws as all the fans have the rubber pads on every corner.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

It's just that D15 is a 'bastard child' It cools no better than D14 with same fans, it's wider width causes issues with top PCIe sockets. (sometimes blocks them), fin cut-out area lowers cooling ability, etc. Noctua had reached a point they needed to release a new cooler and D15 was it. They pumped the A15 fan supplied with it to 1500rpm from their normal 1200rpm to get cooling up to par. That's not saying the A15 1500rpm is not a great fan, or that D15 is not a good cooler because they both are. But not as good as Noctua 'cultist' would like us to believe. wink.gif

Would've probably taken the D14 if it had the ram cut-out thins, this is a big plus for me , my current motherboard has PCIe lower on the 2nd slot so I'm okay with that clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

no the rubber pins are in the box still. I'm using screws as all the fans have the rubber pads on every corner.

I haven't heard a lot of nice things about the rubber pins, they don't really affect noise level (vibrations) and they're a pain to install/remove. If you have good fans, vibrations won't be an issue.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmatrix2r View Post

Would've probably taken the D14 if it had the ram cut-out thins, this is a big plus for me , my current motherboard has PCIe lower on the 2nd slot so I'm okay with that clearance.
.
It's a good cooler, just now all the 'cultist' think it is. tongue.gif
FYI, a good pair of scissors will usually cut fins nicely. Another option is to use a straight edge and scribe a line several passes and flex the edge piece a few times to break it off. Either way, use a file to clean up the sharp edges. wink.gif
post #64 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

It's a good cooler, just now all the 'cultist' think it is. tongue.gif
FYI, a good pair of scissors will usually cut fins nicely. Another option is to use a straight edge and scribe a line several passes and flex the edge piece a few times to break it off. Either way, use a file to clean up the sharp edges. wink.gif

that's really not my thing to be honest... >_>
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

It's just that D15 is a 'bastard child' It cools no better than D14 with same fans, it's wider width causes issues with top PCIe sockets. (sometimes blocks them), fin cut-out area lowers cooling ability, etc. Noctua had reached a point they needed to release a new cooler and D15 was it. They pumped the A15 fan supplied with it to 1500rpm from their normal 1200rpm to get cooling up to par. That's not saying the A15 1500rpm is not a great fan, or that D15 is not a good cooler because they both are. But not as good as Noctua 'cultist' would like us to believe. wink.gif
I'm not sure there's much room to improve air cooling anymore, given the current form factors and mounting systems. About the only place to make further progress is with fans that move more air with more static pressure without making additional noise. Eventually, Noctua will probably come out with a D16 that will look like a D15 and perform two percent better. You can put it on your new Intel CPU that will perform two percent better than its predecessor.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

I'm not sure there's much room to improve air cooling anymore, given the current form factors and mounting systems. About the only place to make further progress is with fans that move more air with more static pressure without making additional noise. Eventually, Noctua will probably come out with a D16 that will look like a D15 and perform two percent better. You can put it on your new Intel CPU that will perform two percent better than its predecessor.

the current limitation to air cooling is actually due to the ATX design. there would have been ALOT better possibilities if BTX had succeeded. the BTX designed allowed for MUCH better air cooling design but unfortunately ATX was too deeply entrenched in the market and didn't allow for BTX to succeed.
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

the current limitation to air cooling is actually due to the ATX design. there would have been ALOT better possibilities if BTX had succeeded. the BTX designed allowed for MUCH better air cooling design but unfortunately ATX was too deeply entrenched in the market and didn't allow for BTX to succeed.
Maybe, maybe not.

Thermalright has continued with the evolution of HR-02's basic design with 3 coolers in recent years. The Maco Zero / Macho Black, Le Grand Macho and now the Maco Direct. Each shows improvement.

But along the same lines as you said about fans, I'll add it's more about airflow. Not through the cooler, but to and from cooler. How well the cooler's heated air is removed. How this and other things work to supply cooler with the coolest air possible.

Now that is what's so cool about new cooler designs. biggrin.gif

I'm hoping we will see more effort in this direction .. and praying it will be appled to graphics card cooling.
GPU coolers are in the stoneage when it comes to airflow and intake / exhaust separation.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

the current limitation to air cooling is actually due to the ATX design. there would have been ALOT better possibilities if BTX had succeeded. the BTX designed allowed for MUCH better air cooling design but unfortunately ATX was too deeply entrenched in the market and didn't allow for BTX to succeed.
Woulda, coulda shoulda .. maybe.

I see the real problem as the case and GPU industry not following the basic rules of cooling by making cases and coolers that keep heated exhaust from contaminating cool intake airflow.

There are all kinds of simple ways for airflow supply and removal to work just fine on ATX, mATX and ITX.

There are few cases welldesigned to do it.
Are there any GPUs other than a few reference / blower designs that are more farts in a hurricane .. leaking heated air on their way to back of case all the while screaming like a Banshee.
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Woulda, coulda shoulda .. maybe.

I see the real problem as the case and GPU industry not following the basic rules of cooling by making cases and coolers that keep heated exhaust from contaminating cool intake airflow.

There are all kinds of simple ways for airflow supply and removal to work just fine on ATX, mATX and ITX.

There are few cases welldesigned to do it.
Are there any GPUs other than a few reference / blower designs that are more farts in a hurricane .. leaking heated air on their way to back of case all the while screaming like a Banshee.

this is where BTX design was superior.



the BTX CPU socket is much further forward then the ATX design (basically the RAM slots on an ATX mobo is where the CPU socket is on a BTX mobo) this minimizes the contamination of cooling air from the front intake fan to the HSF of the CPU since by the time the GPU spits out its hot air, it's already behind the CPU HSF. that's only one of the design features of BTX that made it far more efficient for modern TDP demands. on BTX designed chassis, there is often a shroud/tunnel effect of some sort between the front intake fan and CPU socket to further reduce contamination of cool intake air from the GPU.



the BTX design exists today only in server mobo / chassis. it's unfortunate that the consumer market did not allow the design to succeed, since it offers MUCH more possibilities for HSF realestate for a truly massive HSF implimentation where the cooler can essentially become a full tunnel from the front of the case to the back exhaust port. [/quote]
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

this is where BTX design was superior.



the BTX CPU socket is much further forward then the ATX design (basically the RAM slots on an ATX mobo is where the CPU socket is on a BTX mobo) this minimizes the contamination of cooling air from the front intake fan to the HSF of the CPU since by the time the GPU spits out its hot air, it's already behind the CPU HSF. that's only one of the design features of BTX that made it far more efficient for modern TDP demands. on BTX designed chassis, there is often a shroud/tunnel effect of some sort between the front intake fan and CPU socket to further reduce contamination of cool intake air from the GPU.



the BTX design exists today only in server mobo / chassis. it's unfortunate that the consumer market did not allow the design to succeed, since it offers MUCH more possibilities for HSF realestate for a truly massive HSF implimentation where the cooler can essentially become a full tunnel from the front of the case to the back exhaust port.
[/quote]
I understand the difference in motherboard design.
But unless the case is designed to flow air properly, it makes little difference. Until their cooling is designed on airflow logic, it makes little difference what motherboard design is used when there is little to no airflow logic being used with the case and other components.
GPU cooling at present has little to no funtional airflow design to keep heat exhaust separated from coo intake air.
Edited by doyll - 1/31/16 at 2:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Worried about CPU temps