Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Do shrouds help improve acoustics and temperatures?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do shrouds help improve acoustics and temperatures? - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thank you for that link. I believe that was the review i read a while back. Basically saying that a slim radiator, like some AiO use, wouldn't have much or any gain if a shroud was mounted. For me meaning more than a dampening shroud wouldn't help that much.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzle View Post

Thank you for that link. I believe that was the review i read a while back. Basically saying that a slim radiator, like some AiO use, wouldn't have much or any gain if a shroud was mounted. For me meaning more than a dampening shroud wouldn't help that much.
Martin says that it depends on the rad. And it seems to help only in pull, which is usually worse than push...

What do you want to achieve: better cooling performance? lower noise?

Edit: removed a reply I wrote hours ago
Edited by cloppy007 - 1/20/16 at 12:23pm
Old rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Maximus V Gene MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming G.Skill Trident 2400 C10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 240 Hitach HDT721010 EK Supremacy Clear CSQ Alphacool XT45 360+240 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
EK-VGA Supreme HF Swiftech MCP655 Asus MX239H Antec TP 550 New 
CaseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black M Creative X-Fi Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
Old rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Maximus V Gene MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming G.Skill Trident 2400 C10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 240 Hitach HDT721010 EK Supremacy Clear CSQ Alphacool XT45 360+240 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
EK-VGA Supreme HF Swiftech MCP655 Asus MX239H Antec TP 550 New 
CaseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black M Creative X-Fi Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm currently just planing, but i would love a quieter system without temperature increase. And of course, wouldn't say no to both!

My current favorite is the NZXT Kraken X61, since it's the quietest AiO and best cooling one. For the GPU i also want to go a AiO route with the EVGA Hybrid cards. But noting is written in stone, except that a won't build a custom loop since i have had some "incidents" with those.
post #14 of 19
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6803/nzxt-kraken-x61-280mm-aio-cpu-cooler-review/index8.html

For GPUs I can understand that you want an AIO, but for a CPU, I'd get a D15 or an Archon derivative. The X61 is not quiet by any means and to perform well, it makes a lot of noise. If you want to replace the fans, as far as I know there are no golden 140mm fans like the Gentle Typhoons, although some people use a 120->140 adaptor, like @toolmaker03
Old rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Maximus V Gene MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming G.Skill Trident 2400 C10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 240 Hitach HDT721010 EK Supremacy Clear CSQ Alphacool XT45 360+240 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
EK-VGA Supreme HF Swiftech MCP655 Asus MX239H Antec TP 550 New 
CaseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black M Creative X-Fi Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
Old rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Maximus V Gene MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming G.Skill Trident 2400 C10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 240 Hitach HDT721010 EK Supremacy Clear CSQ Alphacool XT45 360+240 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
EK-VGA Supreme HF Swiftech MCP655 Asus MX239H Antec TP 550 New 
CaseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black M Creative X-Fi Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
I agree that the NH-D15 is better, but depending on what i want to build (ATX SLI + 21:9, mITX Single+16:9) there would be some problems. The D15S would be a good choice for mITX (not the Impact i believe) but would be very high with a secondary fan if i chose fast (and tall) memory). The X61 or AiO for CPU in general was just the easter idea.

Edit: Just checked Noctuas charts and th NH-D15 should be compatible with the ROG M8I and judging by a test with the NH-D15 in a ROG M7I one could run both fans on "stock position" since one only has two DIMMs exactly between heatsink and fan.

For the GPU: It's hard to find a better 980Ti than the EVGA Hybrid.
Edited by Danzle - 1/20/16 at 2:12pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzle View Post

I agree that the NH-D15 is better, but depending on what i want to build (ATX SLI + 21:9, mITX Single+16:9) there would be some problems. The D15S would be a good choice for mITX (not the Impact i believe) but would be very high with a secondary fan if i chose fast (and tall) memory). The X61 or AiO for CPU in general was just the easter idea.

Edit: Just checked Noctuas charts and th NH-D15 should be compatible with the ROG M8I and judging by a test with the NH-D15 in a ROG M7I one could run both fans on "stock position" since one only has two DIMMs exactly between heatsink and fan.

For the GPU: It's hard to find a better 980Ti than the EVGA Hybrid.
For a mITX it might be a bit too much, but then again, I'd ask myself if I really need such huge cooling for an mITX build.

Regarding the GPU, you're just right, aftermarket or vendor-custom heatsinks can't compete even with a 120mm AIO (IIRC). I don't know if it's because of the fans, cooling area, or what. I do recall that the TR Shaman was a beast, but that was many years ago.
Old rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Maximus V Gene MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming G.Skill Trident 2400 C10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 240 Hitach HDT721010 EK Supremacy Clear CSQ Alphacool XT45 360+240 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
EK-VGA Supreme HF Swiftech MCP655 Asus MX239H Antec TP 550 New 
CaseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black M Creative X-Fi Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
Old rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Maximus V Gene MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming G.Skill Trident 2400 C10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 240 Hitach HDT721010 EK Supremacy Clear CSQ Alphacool XT45 360+240 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
EK-VGA Supreme HF Swiftech MCP655 Asus MX239H Antec TP 550 New 
CaseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black M Creative X-Fi Extreme 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

For a mITX it might be a bit too much, but then again, I'd ask myself if I really need such huge cooling for an mITX build.

Regardless the sice, hot CPU is hot CPU: i7 6700K @4.7Ghz 1.2-1.3V~ (delided) biggrin.gif That's why i looked first at CLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

Regarding the GPU, you're just right, aftermarket or vendor-custom heatsinks can't compete even with a 120mm AIO (IIRC). I don't know if it's because of the fans, cooling area, or what. I do recall that the TR Shaman was a beast, but that was many years ago.

GPUs have a bigger surfacearea and don't have that dense heatspot like Haswell or Skylake. That's why CLC works much better on GPUs than CPU. At least that's what people have told me. yessir.gif
post #18 of 19
If you are going for quiet, bigger fans and push/pull configuration were my solution. I have 2 x 280 rads in push/pull with a delided 4790K and two overclocked 970s. I'm using really slow moving 140mm Enermax silent fans. My system runs super quiet under any load and stays very cool. I vote for forgetting shrouds and going push/pull.
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Spending 5€ on rubbershrouds to dampen the fans wouldn't kill anyone. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Do shrouds help improve acoustics and temperatures?