Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Console gamer want to build his first pc!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Console gamer want to build his first pc! - Page 2

post #11 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

Like previous posts sayd drop the i7 and go for i5 so you could afford gtx 980.
Gtx 970 starts to show its limits even on 1080p.
Also would go for MSI gaming series motherboard.


How would dropping from the i7 to the i5 affect performance?
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent0014 View Post

How would dropping from the i7 to the i5 affect performance?

Smaller L2 cache and no Hyper-Threaded Technology. Simple.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 30
Thread Starter 
Would the i5 and the 980 pull wit her on ultra?
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Would the i5 and the 980 pull wit her on ultra?

on what scren resolution? just get s340 to save more
Edited by Ximplicite - 1/20/16 at 6:15pm
post #15 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximplicite View Post

on what scren resolution? just get s340 to save more

1080p
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Smaller L2 cache and no Hyper-Threaded Technology. Simple.

The difference in modern games will be negligible if any at all.

However.

The difference between a 970 & 4790k vs 980 & 4690k will heavily favor the 980. Simple as that. 970 is fine for 1080P though, but for gaming only 980 and i5 will serve you longer in my opinion.. especially if you buy an after market heatsink and OC the 4690k. Personally I would buy a 5820k and go X99 over a 4790k If I could go back and do it again.
Dream Machine
(19 items)
 
HAF Baked
(17 items)
 
The Don
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 4350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 XFX 7950 DD 8GB (2X4) G Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Western Digital Black Asus 24x DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Xigmatek Dark Knight Win XP & Win7 64 Pro Asus VH236H Ancient Dell Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2  Cooler Master HAF 922 Corsair MX65 Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 4100 GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 HD Radeon 5770 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar OCZ Vertex Hyper 212 Evo Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 225BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 EVGA 650 GQ Deepcool Dukase 
Mouse
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
Dream Machine
(19 items)
 
HAF Baked
(17 items)
 
The Don
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 4350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 XFX 7950 DD 8GB (2X4) G Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Western Digital Black Asus 24x DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Xigmatek Dark Knight Win XP & Win7 64 Pro Asus VH236H Ancient Dell Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2  Cooler Master HAF 922 Corsair MX65 Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 4100 GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 HD Radeon 5770 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar OCZ Vertex Hyper 212 Evo Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 225BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 EVGA 650 GQ Deepcool Dukase 
Mouse
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 30
It doesn't really take much to build a console killer but if you want something significantly stronger, there's nothing wrong with that.

Case is pretty much user preference but with an ATX motherboard, get a mid tower at least - no exception. Anything smaller than mid tower and your standard ATX motherboard won't fit.
Motherboard choice looks to be okay. For CPU, personally, I don't think a 4790K is really justifiable here. You'll be more than fine with an i5 4690K like some have mentioned. If you don't plan on learning to overclock or overclocking at all, you could save a few dollars by getting an i5 4690. RAM seems alright but 4690K doesn't have native support for anything above DDR3 1600. PSU, as mentioned previously, you can get better for your money. Maybe a Cooler Master V550S or something else someone might recommend. Invest in a 120GB SSD. It's pretty much a must for modern day PCs now. Just install OS onto it and main files and fill everything else onto a HDD. You could go for a GTX 980 if you have money leftover.
post #18 of 30
High/ultra Witcher 3 even at 1080p requires quite a bit of power to peg 60FPS; minimum frames drop below 60 unless you're willing to spend $500 or more on a GPU.

If you can deal with sub-60 FPS (which as a former console gamer, you can tongue.gif ), then I'd suggest something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($258.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380X 4GB NITRO Video Card ($233.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($25.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1038.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-20 21:51 EST-0500
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
Lil' Roy Taylor
(11 items)
 
  
Reply
post #19 of 30
Another suggestion (not saying any suggestions are better than others but more ideas is better than just one right?):
You can go either path with R9 390 or with GTX 970. This build leaves a bit of room for upgrading later for extra 8GBs of RAM or whatever you'd like. Alternatively, you can hold back on the CPU cooler for now and invest in 16GB of RAM and buy a cooler later down the track. 8GB will suffice though. 8GB RAM is just enough for Witcher 3 if you have nothing else running on your PC such as Chrome which uses heaps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($111.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card ($303.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1024.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-20 22:07 EST-0500
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaji View Post

Another suggestion (not saying any suggestions are better than others but more ideas is better than just one right?):
You can go either path with R9 390 or with GTX 970. This build leaves a bit of room for upgrading later for extra 8GBs of RAM or whatever you'd like. Alternatively, you can hold back on the CPU cooler for now and invest in 16GB of RAM and buy a cooler later down the track. 8GB will suffice though. 8GB RAM is just enough for Witcher 3 if you have nothing else running on your PC such as Chrome which uses heaps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($111.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card ($303.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1024.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-20 22:07 EST-0500

i prefer the power supply on this build.
Also the 250gb ssd should be quicker than the 120gb in the other build.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Console gamer want to build his first pc!