Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Geek] Latest leak suggests Nintendo NX may run at 900p resolution and have motion controls
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Geek] Latest leak suggests Nintendo NX may run at 900p resolution and have motion controls - Page 2

post #11 of 119
doesn't mean anything (yet). Hopefully. biggrin.gif
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
Reply
current rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsKeyboard
2500k R9 290X Tri-X GTX 680 Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Ninja 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 119
Yet again the media perpetuates the false concept that resolution and framerate are tied to hardware power.
Graphics settings on any game can scale however you want them to, if the developers allow. There's no good reason that console gamer's shouldn't be choosing their graphics settings exactly the same as PC gamers do.
Heck, I've seen plenty of graphics options on IOS games. But mainstream "gaming" platforms? Forget it, consoles aren't there to give you choices, they're there to force an experience on you.

Ok, rant off.
Besides that, I'm not sure if I mind a lower resolution on Nintendo consoles.
For me the primary application for high res on PC is sims and shooters, yes everything looks better with more pixels, but more specifically when you're trying to no-scope someone from half a mile away, all those pixels make a big difference to gameplay. Platformers? Not so much. Splatoon isn't exactly a precision shooter either, or a shooter at all depending on how you play.
Focusing on framerate might be the best choice for them, especially if there's a handheld connection.

It would be awesome if someone would at least have a toggle on the OS to let us switch between resolution or framerate priority (yes, the Xbone and PS4 can change resolution, but I've never read anything saying that it boosts your framerate).
post #13 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Graphics settings on any game can scale however you want them to, if the developers allow. There's no good reason that console gamer's shouldn't be choosing their graphics settings exactly the same as PC gamers do.
Heck, I've seen plenty of graphics options on IOS games. But mainstream "gaming" platforms? Forget it, consoles aren't there to give you choices, they're there to force an experience on you.

There are graphics options in some iOS games because there's more than one iOS device, and those devices vary wildly in performance (the Air 2 and 6S/+ are several times faster than the oldest supported devices, and perf varies greatly even within one gen). From that perspective, modern iOS is much more like a PC than a console.

I agree with you, though, it'd be awesome if console games let the user change graphics settings.
SPEAR
(22 items)
 
Laptop #3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Gigabyte WF3 Radeon R9 270X x2 G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Linux) OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Windows) WD Caviar Black 2tb Hitachi 500gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sony Optiarc LightScribe LaCie external BluRay writer Antec Kühler H2O 920 + Corsair SP120 P/P Arch Linux + radeonsi + E20 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro (Insider release) ASUS VS238H-V @ 70hz Corsair K90 Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
None CM Storm Recon Altec Lansing ATP3 Creative Aurvana Live! 
OtherOther
Masscool Shin-Etsu G751 ASUS PCE-N10 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4980HQ @ 2.8/4.0GHz Intel Iris Pro 5200 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
1TB PCIe SSD OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan 15" @ 2880x1800 
  hide details  
Reply
SPEAR
(22 items)
 
Laptop #3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Gigabyte WF3 Radeon R9 270X x2 G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Linux) OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Windows) WD Caviar Black 2tb Hitachi 500gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sony Optiarc LightScribe LaCie external BluRay writer Antec Kühler H2O 920 + Corsair SP120 P/P Arch Linux + radeonsi + E20 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro (Insider release) ASUS VS238H-V @ 70hz Corsair K90 Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
None CM Storm Recon Altec Lansing ATP3 Creative Aurvana Live! 
OtherOther
Masscool Shin-Etsu G751 ASUS PCE-N10 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4980HQ @ 2.8/4.0GHz Intel Iris Pro 5200 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
1TB PCIe SSD OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan 15" @ 2880x1800 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 119
Back when Bioshock came out for the 360 there was an option to remove the frame cap and vsync all together. Turned the game from 30 fps to 60 in some places, dipping heavily in others with screen tear.

Still, it was cool for devs to give us a choice on something simple.
Chalupa
(8 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4770K GTX 980 8GB Corsair Vengeance 256GB Crucial MX100 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H60 Windows 8.1 Seasonic G Series 650W Corsair Carbide 240 
  hide details  
Reply
Chalupa
(8 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4770K GTX 980 8GB Corsair Vengeance 256GB Crucial MX100 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H60 Windows 8.1 Seasonic G Series 650W Corsair Carbide 240 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 119
Realistically I feel that trying to refer to anything console-related as "next-gen" is just setting yourself up for disappointment. It is useless trying to hide the fact that when the Xbox One and PS4 launched they were already mid-spec PCs at best and it will be no different for any other future consoles. If you really want to release something and have people say "wow that IS next-gen!" then you have to do something really impressive that surpasses the perceived abilities of current technology (e.g.; a console that can actually run games at PC specs) or you have to do something that has never been done before (like a VR only console / open-platform console / etc.).

As far as I'm concerned, I am just waiting for the "death" of consoles as we know it. PC gaming is getting so much easier to get into and prospective console buyers are getting smarter as newer generations of technologically inclined children come along. Console companies wont be smart enough to fool the kids (nor the parents) a few generations down the line. Honestly I suspect that we will maybe see ONE more generation of consoles at best: Nintendo NX 2 / PS 5 / Xbox Two. After that, consoles will either give way to PCs or PC technology will outclass console technology by so much that it wont matter anymore.

- Insan1tyOne wink.gif
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Realistically I feel that trying to refer to anything console-related as "next-gen" is just setting yourself up for disappointment. It is useless trying to hide the fact that when the Xbox One and PS4 launched they were already mid-spec PCs at best and it will be no different for any other future consoles. If you really want to release something and have people say "wow that IS next-gen!" then you have to do something really impressive that surpasses the perceived abilities of current technology (e.g.; a console that can actually run games at PC specs) or you have to do something that has never been done before (like a VR only console / open-platform console / etc.).

As far as I'm concerned, I am just waiting for the "death" of consoles as we know it. PC gaming is getting so much easier to get into and prospective console buyers are getting smarter as newer generations of technologically inclined children come along. Console companies wont be smart enough to fool the kids (nor the parents) a few generations down the line. Honestly I suspect that we will maybe see ONE more generation of consoles at best: Nintendo NX 2 / PS 5 / Xbox Two. After that, consoles will either give way to PCs or PC technology will outclass console technology by so much that it wont matter anymore.

- Insan1tyOne wink.gif

I actually partially disagree. I don't believe this will happen unless 2 things happens with computers. One is price has to drop significantly, and 2 is that most of the functions have to be plug and play. One industry that will not let consoles collapse is the fighting game industry. Setting up a actual tournament with a PC is prone to several problems that consoles in general would likely avoid. And its scene is growing (hence ESPN is starting to stream video game tournaments). As much as I like the PC environment, I know a lot of people who can't handle it very well or do things in a very mundane way and will pay the extra money for a more streamlined performance, even if its not cost effective.


What I think is that GPU/CPU technologies will hit a wall before consoles will die out. further extending the time it takes to shrink a node, and to extract it for as much performance as possible.
Obligatory Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-M Pro Sapphire Reference 290 w/ Aquacomputer Kryogeni... Samsung Low Voltage 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue PNY XLR8 Swiftech H220 + Swiftech 120mm Rad Acer P216HL Black 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Legend Rosewill Hive 550w Silverstone PS07B-W Mionix Avior 7000 
Mouse Pad
Custom Artscow Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Obligatory Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-M Pro Sapphire Reference 290 w/ Aquacomputer Kryogeni... Samsung Low Voltage 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue PNY XLR8 Swiftech H220 + Swiftech 120mm Rad Acer P216HL Black 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Legend Rosewill Hive 550w Silverstone PS07B-W Mionix Avior 7000 
Mouse Pad
Custom Artscow Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 119
what a joke...by the time NX comes out I bet MS/Sony will be designing their next-gen stuff with 4K in mind.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H-WB EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB @ 1.3/7.1GHz 1.21V EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB @ 1.3/7.1GHz 1.21V 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Green DDR3 4X4GB @ 2.1GHz Samsung 850 Pro 2TB Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB HDD LG GH24NS72 DVD Rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech H240-X Liquid Cooler Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM E-IPS Dell Ultrasharp U2311H E-IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp U2311H E-IPS Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard Rev 2 Seasonic X-750 80+ Gold 750W Rev 3 Corsair Carbide 500R Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Alienware TactX Gaming Mouse 5000DPI SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mousepad Edifier M3300SF 2.1 Speaker Set 54W RMS Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Gaming Headset 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Open-Ear Headphones Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Res USB DAC/ Por... Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad  Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m7-6Y75 vPro Intel Graphics HD 515 DDR3L-1600MHz 8GB Samsung 960 Pro 1TB  
OSMonitorOther
Windows 10 Pro x64 Sharp IGZO 4K UHD touch Dell x Wacom active stylus 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H-WB EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB @ 1.3/7.1GHz 1.21V EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB @ 1.3/7.1GHz 1.21V 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Green DDR3 4X4GB @ 2.1GHz Samsung 850 Pro 2TB Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB HDD LG GH24NS72 DVD Rewriter 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech H240-X Liquid Cooler Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM E-IPS Dell Ultrasharp U2311H E-IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp U2311H E-IPS Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard Rev 2 Seasonic X-750 80+ Gold 750W Rev 3 Corsair Carbide 500R Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Alienware TactX Gaming Mouse 5000DPI SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mousepad Edifier M3300SF 2.1 Speaker Set 54W RMS Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Gaming Headset 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Open-Ear Headphones Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Res USB DAC/ Por... Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad  Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m7-6Y75 vPro Intel Graphics HD 515 DDR3L-1600MHz 8GB Samsung 960 Pro 1TB  
OSMonitorOther
Windows 10 Pro x64 Sharp IGZO 4K UHD touch Dell x Wacom active stylus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudewitbow View Post

I actually partially disagree. I don't believe this will happen unless 2 things happens with computers. One is price has to drop significantly, and 2 is that most of the functions have to be plug and play. One industry that will not let consoles collapse is the fighting game industry. Setting up a actual tournament with a PC is prone to several problems that consoles in general would likely avoid. And its scene is growing (hence ESPN is starting to stream video game tournaments). As much as I like the PC environment, I know a lot of people who can't handle it very well or do things in a very mundane way and will pay the extra money for a more streamlined performance, even if its not cost effective.


What I think is that GPU/CPU technologies will hit a wall before consoles will die out. further extending the time it takes to shrink a node, and to extract it for as much performance as possible.

I agree with this, but personally I do not care about "next gen" graphics on a console. What's next gen for a console is always last gen for a PC. Such has always been and isn't going to change. Resolution isn't everything to me either, PS3 could do 1080, but it didn't mean much when the games used horrible textures, gimped shading, weak if any lighting effects, etc. I don't have any current consoles, but I'm assuming games like TW3 are running at mid to low quality texture settings even though they're at 1080P. So where is the line drawn? It can run Super Mario World at 1080P! Woohoo!

Just give me good games. I thought Dragon Quest VIII on the ps2 was absolutely STUNNING at the time, and that game still looks glorious upscaled to 1080, and it was a great game! Just give us the best hardware you can cram into a $200-300 system and give us great games! Remember when great games used to happen Sony/MS/Nintendo??!
Dream Machine
(19 items)
 
HAF Baked
(17 items)
 
The Don
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 4350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 XFX 7950 DD 8GB (2X4) G Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Western Digital Black Asus 24x DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Xigmatek Dark Knight Win XP & Win7 64 Pro Asus VH236H Ancient Dell Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2  Cooler Master HAF 922 Corsair MX65 Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 4100 GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 HD Radeon 5770 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar OCZ Vertex Hyper 212 Evo Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 225BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 EVGA 650 GQ Deepcool Dukase 
Mouse
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
Dream Machine
(19 items)
 
HAF Baked
(17 items)
 
The Don
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 4350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 XFX 7950 DD 8GB (2X4) G Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 Western Digital Black Asus 24x DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Xigmatek Dark Knight Win XP & Win7 64 Pro Asus VH236H Ancient Dell Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2  Cooler Master HAF 922 Corsair MX65 Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 4100 GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 HD Radeon 5770 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar OCZ Vertex Hyper 212 Evo Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 225BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 EVGA 650 GQ Deepcool Dukase 
Mouse
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

I agree with this, but personally I do not care about "next gen" graphics on a console. What's next gen for a console is always last gen for a PC. Such has always been and isn't going to change. Resolution isn't everything to me either, PS3 could do 1080, but it didn't mean much when the games used horrible textures, gimped shading, weak if any lighting effects, etc. I don't have any current consoles, but I'm assuming games like TW3 are running at mid to low quality texture settings even though they're at 1080P. So where is the line drawn? It can run Super Mario World at 1080P! Woohoo!

Just give me good games. I thought Dragon Quest VIII on the ps2 was absolutely STUNNING at the time, and that game still looks glorious upscaled to 1080, and it was a great game! Just give us the best hardware you can cram into a $200-300 system and give us great games! Remember when great games used to happen Sony/MS/Nintendo??!

Where have you been? Nintendo and Sony continues to make great games. MS I'm lukewarm about but other people have enjoyed their work. If anything it is third parties you should be shaking your finger at.


This video editorial illustrates why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysWXsuGPHQ&t=1m01s
post #20 of 119
The "900p 60fps" part makes me suspicious. Devs will use the power available for whatever they want, unless of course Nintendo make that mandatory. If it's 900p 60fps for modern titles then it is already more powerful than PS4/X1, Nintendo need a console that can take on Sony and MS with 3rd party titles. If they do it, then i think they have a winner.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Geek] Latest leak suggests Nintendo NX may run at 900p resolution and have motion controls