Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › First Build, For gaming, overclocking, video production.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Build, For gaming, overclocking, video production.

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
No one on reddit will reply to me and the people here are smarter anyway so I might as well ask here. What do you guys think of this build? Im buying parts at the end of this week.
This is gonna be an all black and white system.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/soccerninja_21/saved/sbVV3C

Im gonna be using this build for playing Esport games, I play lots of CS and Dota I also want to mod Skyrim but can't right now since I already only get 20 frames without mods. I look forward to playing lots of the new games of 2015 and 2016, let's not even talk about the framerates I get in Fallout 4 now. The new far cry is a game I will want to play on ultra when it comes out. I also am learning video editing but my current computer prevents me from being able to do it. Photoshop is something I can already do but would still like better performance. Im using 1 1920*1080p and 1 1680*1080 however I plan to upgrade to pascal in a about a year in a half and then go 1440p or 4k on one or ever 2 monitors. I don't know how to overclock YET but will look forward to learning, trying it out and hopefully getting my cpu to at least 4.5 Ghz.

As this will be my first build please let me know all your opinions on the build and what you would do differently if you would do anything differently and why. If you think this is the best build it can be then just let me know and I will buy the parts! Thanks.
post #2 of 22
Hello there,

Doesn't look too shabby to be honest! It is a nice power supply you got there and I love the asus motherboard. Here is where I wouldn't be too sure about:

1. hard drive - I haven't used the hitachi before but I know that the WD Blacks have very good performance for gaming and video transfer.
2. Not sure that you will need a full 32 gb of RAM. I think that 16 should cut the job just fine honestly. Answer this though - Just how much video editing will you be doing? Oh what as well?
3. For the graphics card, at that price I think you might be better off with a R9 390. Check out this thread of the GTX 970 v R9 390

Oh and don't forget the Operating System.
post #3 of 22
Hitachi drives are pretty solid so far in my experience, have had a 1tb model in my system for about 3 years not a hiccup.
Also one in my girlfriends computer for about the last year or so also fine.

In the same time span I have had three seagate drives die lol


But apart from that I agree with what Jiryama has said.
Unless you plan on using applications that require it I would ditch the additional RAM and the 970.

Apart from that build looks solid!

*reading back I see you said modded skyrim.... in that case most definitely ditch the 970! fully modded skyrim destroys Vram usage... and you will end up playing at what feels like 20fps anyway.
Edited by cainy1991 - 1/20/16 at 7:22pm
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

Hitachi drives are pretty solid so far in my experience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post

1. hard drive - I haven't used the hitachi before but I know that the WD Blacks have very good performance for gaming and video transfer.
I had a toshiba drive however someone told me to get a Hitachi and directed me to some evidence, the evidence showed that these drives were by far the most reliable.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiryama View Post

2. Not sure that you will need a full 32 gb of RAM. I think that 16 should cut the job just fine honestly. Answer this though - Just how much video editing will you be doing? Oh what as well?
3. For the graphics card, at that price I think you might be better off with a R9 390. Check out this thread of the GTX 970 v R9 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post


Unless you plan on using applications that require it I would ditch the additional RAM and the 970.

Apart from that build looks solid!

First of all thank you both for replying the more opinions and evidence I get the better.
I only have one reason for getting 32 gb of ram, personally I have never used more than 8.
I want to use 8 gb dimms because everyone says how they are better but I also want to be able to use the quad channel memory the motherboard supports which means I end up getting 4 dimms of 8gb ram. Which is 32gb

I need to look into the 970 vs the r9 390
Can you give me some reasons why the 390 is better? It seems like everywhere I look AMD is looked down upon and people say the cards are very hot and some other things. This card is gonna be temporary for about 1-2 years and after that I will upgrade but I still want my build to look good and the HOF card is beautiful. Idk what are some reasons for the 390?
post #6 of 22
Sounds good then man! never used them before so can't speak to it. Started using WD one day and haven't had one fail on me yet so! biggrin.gif

Just ditch the second set of ram, swamp out current for a 4 x 4gb . (Which still leaves you room to upgrade to a second 4x4 in future if you really dive into video editing and HAVE to have more ram)

Edit- response to second post

Yes however the board has 8DIMMs, if you just use 4 stick that will still work since it is quad channel. You just want to use 4 total instead of just 2. So you would use all 4 of the Grey/Black whicever the motherboard manual says to populate first.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post


First of all thank you both for replying the more opinions and evidence I get the better.
I only have one reason for getting 32 gb of ram, personally I have never used more than 8.
I want to use 8 gb dimms because everyone says how they are better but I also want to be able to use the quad channel memory the motherboard supports which means I end up getting 4 dimms of 8gb ram. Which is 32gb

I need to look into the 970 vs the r9 390
Can you give me some reasons why the 390 is better? It seems like everywhere I look AMD is looked down upon and people say the cards are very hot and some other things. This card is gonna be temporary for about 1-2 years and after that I will upgrade but I still want my build to look good and the HOF card is beautiful. Idk what are some reasons for the 390?


Reading back I see you said modded skyrim.... in that case most definitely ditch the 970! fully modded skyrim destroys Vram usage... and you will end up playing at what feels like 20fps anyway.

I have used a 970 for skyrim myself and because of the VRAM issue that the 970 has once you install enough mods the game becomes near unplayable.
I'm not necessarily saying get a 390.... Just not the 970.
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post

I need to look into the 970 vs the r9 390
Can you give me some reasons why the 390 is better? It seems like everywhere I look AMD is looked down upon and people say the cards are very hot and some other things. This card is gonna be temporary for about 1-2 years and after that I will upgrade but I still want my build to look good and the HOF card is beautiful. Idk what are some reasons for the 390?

Video editing will be able to take the VRAM into consideration and the R9 390 will have 8gb as well as full DX12 support righht now - the GTX970 only has 4gb of ram so you will see a larger performance from the VRAM aspect of things. Also if you wanted to OC the graphics card then you could fairly easily and basically have a 390X for lower cost! thumb.gif

Quick synopsis of what I linked to in the thread comparing the 2:
Quote:
So far is seems that the 390 is the winner here, wider bus, more VRAM and more benchmark results say for themselves.

Edit - The Sapphire Radeon R9 390 is Black and Small amount of silver. Could repaint if it bothered you that it is silver not white.
Edited by Jiryama - 1/20/16 at 7:35pm
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

Reading back I see you said modded skyrim.... in that case most definitely ditch the 970! fully modded skyrim destroys Vram usage... and you will end up playing at what feels like 20fps anyway.

I have used a 970 for skyrim myself and because of the VRAM issue that the 970 has once you install enough mods the game becomes near unplayable.
I'm not necessarily saying get a 390.... Just not the 970.
I don't know if I would use so many mods but it makes sense except for the last part. So what GPU would you use?
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post

I don't know if I would use so many mods but it makes sense except for the last part. So what GPU would you use?

Haha... you say that now, but modding is an additive business.

I just went back to my old 290x I had before the 970(sold it for a profit biggrin.gif), Still has massive slow downs when the VRAM tops out.. but gives a much better experience than the 970 did.
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › First Build, For gaming, overclocking, video production.